The Roast of P.J. Fleck | Pat McAfee Show All Time Moments #1 (8 minute video discussion)

I'd say if Iowa guy mouthed off like that and kept doubling down like he did....he'd go home in a body bag if he's drinking in the state of Minnesota, NYC.

I find that type of “free wheeling/no hold bars” schtick to be wildly unentertaining and an unintentional parody of itself.

let's face it, pj is not for everyone. if he was the coach of iowa, we'd be speaking about him the same way. i don't really like his shtick. he's never beaten iowa and there is a distinct possibility that he might end up turning out to be a lifetime 6-6 to 9-4 type coach. but if pj starts making the rivalry with iowa competitive again and keeps the rivalry with wisconsin competitive, then i will take it. there are a lot of people who do like his style. so whatever.

let's face it, pj is not for everyone. if he was the coach of iowa, we'd be speaking about him the same way. i don't really like his shtick. he's never beaten iowa and there is a distinct possibility that he might end up turning out to be a lifetime 6-6 to 9-4 type coach. but if pj starts making the rivalry with iowa competitive again and keeps the rivalry with wisconsin competitive, then i will take it. there are a lot of people who do like his style. so whatever.
Agree. At the risk of being banned, I find PJ to be a loud Mason or Kill. I would never have fired Mason.

there is a distinct possibility that he might end up turning out to be a lifetime 6-6 to 9-4 type coach. but if pj starts making the rivalry with iowa competitive again and keeps the rivalry with wisconsin competitive, then i will take it.
With overall record, especially if sometime in the future the P5 schools break off into a new (sub)division and/or association and mostly only play themselves ....

... what is a realistic expectation for Minnesota football as far as average regular season?

I just don't think we can get to an Ohio State level program, ever. For various reasons. I think that is something we just have to accept.

With the cabal of elite programs at the top having a monopoly on top talent, unlike the NFL that spreads talent around fairly to all programs, if you're on the outside now it's very unlikely you can "get in".

If they ever do a P5 draft, then that could change.

But like you say, if we can start regularly hanging with Iowa and Wisconsin, that is damn nice.

Well he already isn’t a lifetime 6-6 to 9-4 coach since he has an 11-2 and a 13-1 as well as a 1-11 and a 5-7, so that’s flawed.

Also if he is 6-6 to 9-4 every year from here on out he is the best coach post warmath considering mason went 4-7 in year 5 and won 9 games just once in his tenure and that kill/Claeys era had just one 9 win season and went 5-7 in the regular season in year 5.

Also iowa has 2 division titles so that’s good. But Kirk ferentz has never won an outright big ten title. So maybe ferentz is a really good comparison if fleck can just get one big ten west title. Ferentz’ first big ten title he didn’t play the team he tied with. His second he lost to the team he tied with. It was much easier to win a big ten title before Nebraska was added to the conference because of the possibility of a shared title and a shared title while losing to the first place team or not playing them. Now you have to beat the second best team in the conference to win the title and you can’t share it (though it is easier to get “close” now IMO)

But they should have won it all in 2015. 3 points away. That was their season.

And as we already discussed in the previous thread: I reject "shared" conference titles. There should have always only ever been one team officially declared the conference champion every season. For pre-divisions, I would retroactively declare it for the Rose Bowl rep, if I could.

Why does he get so angry about Fleck when they haven’t lost to him?
I know Iowa staff complained about the way Campbell and Fleck aggressively recruit and market their programs, compared to the way Iowa has gone about its business.

I know Iowa staff complained about the way Campbell and Fleck aggressively recruit and market their programs, compared to the way Iowa has gone about its business.
Well maybe they should’ve told Fleck which players they wanted so he could back off.

But they should have won it all in 2015. 3 points away. That was their season.

And as we already discussed in the previous thread: I reject "shared" conference titles. There should have always only ever been one team officially declared the conference champion every season. For pre-divisions, I would retroactively declare it for the Rose Bowl rep, if I could.
So you think the best way to break a shared tie is by who had gone the longest without a title? Because that’s literally why 3 loss Purdue went to the rose bowl with Brees

So you think the best way to break a shared tie is by who had gone the longest without a title? Because that’s literally why 3 loss Purdue went to the rose bowl with Brees
I will never understand why some people have so much trouble with the concept of co-champions. I mean I get that everyone wants to win titles outright but ties happen and the simple fact of being tied with another team at the end of the season shouldn't invalidate what you accomplished based on your record.

Agree. At the risk of being banned, I find PJ to be a loud Mason or Kill. I would never have fired Mason.
Since when does being negative about the coach get you banned? That isn't a thing as far as I know.

Mason's run needed to end when it did. He was checked out as a coach and things were headed in the wrong direction with the program. The mistake made wasn't firing Mason it was hiring Brewster.

I disagree that Fleck is a loud Mason, the two are very different. Mason and Kill were very similar. Fleck is a significantly better coach than Brewster but personality wise he is way closer to Brew than to the other two.

Purdue beat the other two that year.

I will never understand why some people have so much trouble with the concept of co-champions. I mean I get that everyone wants to win titles outright but ties happen and the simple fact of being tied with another team at the end of the season shouldn't invalidate what you accomplished based on your record.
Only one team can win a game (assuming it isn't a regular season game where a tie is allowed).

It's really no different a concept. My opinion only.

Purdue (6-1 conference) also went to the ‘67 Rose Bowl because the B1G had a no repeat rule that prevented conference champs Michigan State (7-0 conference) from going since they went the year before.

Gophers_4life, do we take away Michigan State’s conference championship?

Only one team can win a game (assuming it isn't a regular season game where a tie is allowed).

It's really no different a concept. My opinion only.
In the case of regular seasons to me one game shouldn't be more important than all the others. Two teams play 9 conference games, both finish 7-2, they are co-champions. Now if you need to break the tie for purpose of championship games or something else then you do it but just because one team beat another head to head that shouldn't invalidate all the other conference games the teams played.

Purdue (6-1 conference) also went to the ‘67 Rose Bowl because the B1G had a no repeat rule that prevented conference champs Michigan State (7-0 conference) from going since they went the year before.

Gophers_4life, do we take away Michigan State’s conference championship?
No.

Fully concede there will a couple special cases where the best team didn't go to the Rose Bowl.

In the case of regular seasons to me one game shouldn't be more important than all the others. Two teams play 9 conference games, both finish 7-2, they are co-champions. Now if you need to break the tie for purpose of championship games or something else then you do it but just because one team beat another head to head that shouldn't invalidate all the other conference games the teams played.
If you have to break the tie to send one of the two to the Rose Bowl, and it isn't a silly special thing like "well the other team went last year, so let's send a different team", then it's plainly obvious to me that that tiebreaker should just be applied "all the way" and make that team the official, singular conference champion.

My opinion only.

Well he already isn’t a lifetime 6-6 to 9-4 coach since he has an 11-2 and a 13-1 as well as a 1-11 and a 5-7, so that’s flawed.
i didn’t mean to imply that I thought that was a bad thing. Just that it was a possibility. Is it a possibility that he could return minnesota to prominence and win division and conference championships and be in the running for national championships and spent 30 years as the head football coach of the university of minnesota? sure. I think it’s more likely he 1, becomes a rich man’s pat fitzgerald or a poor man’s James Franklin. Or 2,he is going to have a couple consistently stellar seasons and he will go to a helmet school. Nothing wrong with either of those options as long as he is beating Iowa and wisconsin ~50% of the time and does it in a respectable manner. And I think he will leave the university of minnesota in a better state than he found it. Of course there are other possibilities as well, but I think what the iowa guy was saying, while saying it in a dumb way, is not wrong. He’s just framing it as any dumb Iowa fan would.

I'm an 80s and 90s kid. It's hard to call it a roast when the first line is "they will go 8-4 like they do every year" 14 year old me would have killed for that. Those Arkansas fans referenced a moment later would give up meth for that.

Top Bottom