The road to five bowl-eligible B1G teams

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
As we know, the B1G has eight bowl slots. Reaching eight bowl-eligible teams seems an impossibility right now, given the Leaders futility and the suspensions of Ohio State and Penn State. It is still possible that only five teams are bowl eligible - and possible that Minnesota would get a very good bowl game, given their record, as a result.

While it may be easier to win a lesser bowl game, many will clamor for the best possible opponent and most national recognition (myself included). Which is why, this coming weekend, I'll be rooting for the following outcomes (#1 rooting interest the Gophers, of course):

11/17
Northwestern over Michigan State
Penn State over Indiana
Michigan over Iowa
Illinois over Purdue

If these four things happen - and Minnesota can beat Michigan State on senior day - the B1G will have just five bowl-eligible teams (projected order and bowls below):

Nebraska (Rose)
Michigan (Capital One)
Wisconsin (Outback)
Northwestern (Gator)
Minnesota (Buffalo Wild Wings)

A date in the BWW bowl would mean a matchup against a pretty good Big XII team - Texas Tech, perhaps, or Oklahoma State. And while it would stink for the conference to only fulfill five of eight slots, it would give the Gophers the biggest possible stage on which to compete.

If Minnesota were to somehow beat Nebraska and Michigan State, and Northwestern were to beat MSU, but lose to Illinois, there is an outside chance that the Gophers would be selected for the Gator Bowl to play the #6 SEC team (right now, looking like Mississippi St - helllooooo Coach Brew!).

From a travel perspective, there's probably not much difference between an 8-4 (4-4) Northwestern and an 8-4 (4-4) Minnesota - we're both toward the bottom end of bowl attendance in the league, I'd imagine, and the "momentum" factor could push us over the edge. But that scenario seems highly unlikely.

Top Bottom