The real reason why we lost to lost to Illinois

Obi-Wan Okogie

Reaction score
Like many of you, I was disappointed in that loss last night. It's been weeks since we saw our team in action and what we got when the game ended was the anthesis to the anticipation and hype we have built up with all the waiting.

The loss stunned me but then I happened upon this article.

To sum it up, a coach has been suspended for destroying the opposing team. I now understand the outside-the-box genius of coach Johnson. He clearly threw the game beyond a shadow of a doubt. If our Golden Glee Stealers played to their real potential we would have obliterated Illinois much like Coach Kirck did with their Sacred Heart team.

A debasing of that magnitude would have absolutely put the Illinois basketball program into shambles, Kofi Cockburn's future career would absolutely be in jeopardy as he would have likely suffered from a mental fracture, breaking him completely.

Now I'm not very concerned about what would happen to Illinois but this would have clearly gotten Ben Johnson suspended and likely fired as he is fresh and doesn't have any roots or connections in the NCAA to protect him.

I'm not an analytics nut but I can see why Ben made this move. As much as I'd like to see us eviscerate our competition, we have to play the long game. Let Ben Johnson consolidate his power and standing with the NCCA first. Right now he has to pick and choose his moments.

Illinois is on the list, when we can take the glove off we will. Go Gophers!

I love it. You, my friend, have it. It's job security by Ben. Maybe in 2 years he won't have to worry - he can blast anyone he wants.

On that HS game, that is an on-going argument over the subject of blow-outs.

Some people feel that it's some type of violation of "sportsmanship" to beat another team that badly. Others feel that the onus is on the losing team to play better and avoid being blown out.

I tend to feel that once the game is in the bag, call off the dogs and try not to embarrass an opponent.

my brother sent me a video clip the other night for a HS girls BB game in SE MN. The team that won was still running a full-court press late in the game with a 60-point lead. that is unnecessary in my book, but that's just my opinion.

On that HS game, that is an on-going argument over the subject of blow-outs.

Some people feel that it's some type of violation of "sportsmanship" to beat another team that badly. Others feel that the onus is on the losing team to play better and avoid being blown out.

I tend to feel that once the game is in the bag, call off the dogs and try not to embarrass an opponent.

my brother sent me a video clip the other night for a HS girls BB game in SE MN. The team that won was still running a full-court press late in the game with a 60-point lead. that is unnecessary in my book, but that's just my opinion.
I'm not sure why it's a debate. Beating a team that badly, especially in HS sports is unnecessary and the team doing it gains nothing. Many smaller schools barely have enough kids come out to field a team. Subjecting them to being over the top humiliated will only make that worse.

Top Bottom