The QB School film analysis of Tanner Morgan

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
The analyst is JT O’Sullivan, who played in the NFL for several years. I wish he would have picked a different game to analyze, but he’s very impressed with many aspects of Tanner’s game. He said he’s going to do the same for other games. Despite the pain of reliving the Wisconsin game, this is worth a watch.

Last edited:

The analyst is JT O’Sullivan, who played in the NFL for several years. I wish he would have picked a different game to analyze, but he’s very impressed with many aspects of Tanner’s game. He said he’s going to do the same for other games. Despite the pain of reliving the Wisconsin game, this is with a watch.

That was by far Tanner's and the team's worst game. We were really outcoached in that one.

That was by far Tanner's and the team's worst game. We were really outcoached in that one.

Right, but this guy is just analyzing Tanner on a throw to throw basis. He can clearly see the lack of protection. He views Tanner as an NFL prospect. If he likes him here, he’ll really like him against Penn State, Purdue or Auburn.

I often forget how he had a few deep throws, which he nailed all year, were just out of reach for receivers that game. I do think both weather and losing Dan played a part in that.

Elite breakdown. Thanks for sharing!

We’re seeing something pretty special guys. I recall at the time thinking some of those throws were incredible, and incredibly dangerous but he obviously trusts his WRs to make plays. The weather made most of the difference on the offensive side, IMO. Those connections that were happening all year were all of a sudden not connecting. It doesn’t excuse the coaching decisions and defensive stuff, unfortunately.

Side note: did that game really happen? I had bloc,Ed most of it from my think box prior to today. Further side note: glad to see walk-on wonder to combine drug test fail Baun slide in the draft.

Right, but this guy is just analyzing Tanner on a throw to throw basis. He can clearly see the lack of protection. He views Tanner as an NFL prospect. If he likes him here, he’ll really like him against Penn State, Purdue or Auburn.
Just a bummer he couldn't pick a different game.

I suppose one way to judge a prospect’s “floor” is to pick his worst performance in the most trying circumstances; then pick his best performance(s) for a glimpse of his “ceiling.”

Just a bummer he couldn't pick a different game.

That was my first thought too, but he’s going to watch more. For me, it was worth the watch just because of how excited this former NFL QB is about what he saw from Tanner. We don’t get this level of analysis from the play by play crews on Saturday afternoons. I’m glad that he also pointed out a couple plays where he could have done better. That interception was horrible, but I’m confident that he learned from it.

I forget how much we struggled up from in this game. Zack Buan and Chris Orr created so much havoc. Glad they graduated!

Good stuff! I'm guessing you can learn more about a guy when you watch him against top competition, so I understand why he selected this game to use.

Notice how Wisconsin had a free rusher on almost every freaking play? I’m surprised Morgan made it out of there alive. Don’t they have some quick hitting stuff in the playbook, to get the ball out of his hand?

Notice how Wisconsin had a free rusher on almost every freaking play? I’m surprised Morgan made it out of there alive. Don’t they have some quick hitting stuff in the playbook, to get the ball out of his hand?

On one of the interceptions he could probably have hit the RB shaking loose underneath but threw into coverage on the sideline. Nobody’s perfect. Usually that kind of thing worked out for us.

On one of the interceptions he could probably have hit the RB shaking loose underneath but threw into coverage on the sideline. Nobody’s perfect. Usually that kind of thing worked out for us.

That’s true, but I’m talking about the play calling....designed plays to get the ball out his hand quickly, like Brees does.

That’s true, but I’m talking about the play calling....designed plays to get the ball out his hand quickly, like Brees does.

Yeah, that’s true sometimes things take a tick too long for the protection available which burned us several times.

Honestly didn’t think it was as bad as people think from a coaching standpoint

I disagree with punting...but on a bad weather day and with confidence win the defense...pinning them inside the 10 with a lead is a valid strategy.

Biggest issue was the gophers were manhandled on both lines.
When you are manhandled on the line you have to be on the money in the pass game and them be a little off to have a chance. Unfortunately, the opposite happened.

The gophers played their worst game of the year. Too bad.

He briefly mentioned being annoyed with our sideline peeking pre-snap. I know it's relatively common in college, but might Tanner be given the reins a little more as he gets experience? Obviously that method worked for us for the majority of the year, but I still remember how frustrating it was to watch us bleed the play clock when we were down late at Iowa.

He briefly mentioned being annoyed with our sideline peeking pre-snap. I know it's relatively common in college, but might Tanner be given the reins a little more as he gets experience? Obviously that method worked for us for the majority of the year, but I still remember how frustrating it was to watch us bleed the play clock when we were down late at Iowa.

I’m pretty confident he doesn’t need it. Several people (players and coaches) have said nobody studies more film and is more prepared than that guy. It’s just the system they use.

I haven't actually rewatched the game yet, but from what i remember Tanner had a few nice throws that didn't end up in completions. Seemed like the WI DB's were a little more physical than what we were used to and that our WR's were the ones somehow just not making the plays for whatever reason - not so much Tanner.

Could change a bit based on OC change...but I’d say doubtful

Could change a bit based on OC change...but I’d say doubtful
After reading some of these comments on here, I think you might be on to something. Maybe PJ wanted to upgrade from a 99 to a 100. Coach C was awesome, but I'll be very interested in what comes in the future play calling. Remains to be seen, but as always, I'm trusting PJ to make the right call for coordinators.

"One of..."? According to this, he only threw one interception.

It's pretty amazing that we're agreed that our Gopher QB 'struggled' in a game where he threw for almost 300 yards. Also, our run game was completely shut down by Wisconsin; 30 carries for 76 yards.

It's pretty amazing that we're agreed that our Gopher QB 'struggled' in a game where he threw for almost 300 yards. Also, our run game was completely shut down by Wisconsin; 30 carries for 76 yards.
By the standards of a lot of past Gopher quarterbacks it probably wasn't a terrible game by Tanner. His completion % was 54% which was way below his season average. Certainly Tanner's worst game of the year, but he wasn't helped out by our run game or the in-game situation of playing catch up.

Yep, you’re right on the only interception in that game. Poor choice of wording on my part.

I am not certain, but I believe what's going on is this: (1) personnel and formation are called; (2) huddle is broken; (3) defense aligns in response to offense; (4) Tanner looks to sideline; (5) sideline signals in the actual play in view of the defense. So it's not a matter of giving Tanner more control - this is simply how the offense ran last year from a process point-of-view.

It is an interesting comment since a lot of college offenses do it. Here is an explanation...

Top Bottom