The program will take a step back, so question: Why?

I agree with a number of BarnBoy's points. I don't buy the "Coyle wanted his own guy" and neither does Mason for what it's worth. And Mason thought the tweet was a pretty dumb thing to do.

There's always a temptation to think that there's something more than what we are seeing and maybe there is. To me, it's just a puzzling decision unless there is something we're not seeing.

I think the big difference between Kill and Claeys is Kill is a salesman and Claeys is not and like it or not, you really have to be somewhat of a salesman at the P5 level.

I see what you are saying, but a program on the upswing with fan attention still gets good attendance even when marque programs are not coming to town. People will come to see a good program and team that gives them a reason to come. Iowa doesn't have these problems based on who's coming to town. Michigan State even in a bad year had good attendance.

Iowa has been getting great attendance for years and Michigan State was coming-off a Conference Championship, a 12 win season and an appearance in the National Championship playoffs that unfortunately ended in the Spartans being beat by Alabama. Something that happened to 14 other teams last year too.

Neither team had to worry about selling tickets for this year.

An Iowa game they completely didn't show up for. A highly successful college football program doesn't need to rely on the schedule to keep the attendance from going in the tank.

Iowa didn't show up that day either. The farcical thing though is you thinking that Minnesota is "a highly successful college football program". They were but that was from 1927 to 1948!

They were not gonna sell the place out based on that. :D

Iowa didn't show up that day either. The farcical thing though is you thinking that Minnesota is "a highly successful college football program". They were but that was from 1927 to 1948!

They were not gonna sell the place out based on that. :D

No, but they can be if they get the right people in place. Claeys was not going to be the head coach that got us there.

I see what you are saying, but a program on the upswing with fan attention still gets good attendance even when marque programs are not coming to town. People will come to see a good program and team that gives them a reason to come. Iowa doesn't have these problems based on who's coming to town. Michigan State even in a bad year had good attendance.
You think our attendance should be as reliable as Iowa and Michigan State? What planet are you on?

Well considering the primary purpose of a football team at a university is to have fans and promote the school...

I could care less about attendance. All TC can control is what is happening on the field. Tell me, how many seasons in the last 40 years you would trade for this one? 9 wins and a bowl victory.

The fans that have no-showed over the last year probably didn't want Claeys to stay.

Lackluster recruiting.

Lackluster attendance.

Lackluster fundraising.

Lackluster "feel" to the program (the wild card being the bowl game). We got to nine wins which is crazy for this program and there is almost no excitement. Compare to two years ago.

Off-the-field perceptions (or reality)

Lack of quality wins (again, the bowl being the possible exception)

Claeys was never meant to be the guy. He was temporary.

ADs always want their guy, just like CEOs want their people. This is unfortunate for the incumbent.

Not rocket science.

There are 100 or so really vocal fans on this board seem to think a Tweet got him fired and the U administration is doing everything they can to kill the program.

I am actually neutral on this saga. I would be willing to bet my shirt that there is more to the story, not necessarily anything scandalous, just more.

More wins than we previously had was not mentioned on your list, but I think that's what matters to most people.

Why don't you move to Iowa or East Lansing and tell me how many sports or entertainment options you have. Comparing here to a bum F hole in the middle of nowhere makes no sense. The ticket prices here are almost surely higher and you have 50 other top notch entertainment options competing.

More wins than we previously had was not mentioned on your list, but I think that's what matters to most people.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm providing a list of what might have gone into the decision to fire Claeys. I didn't say I agree with it. There are many people who just see 9 wins and then just stop the analysis.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm providing a list of what might have gone into the decision to fire Claeys. I didn't say I agree with it. There are many people who just see 9 wins and then just stop the analysis.

I'm just saying, I want the U of M football team to win. And in the past four seasons or so, they have won. As a season ticket holder for quite a few years, it's frustrating to fire a coach after he won the most games in a century. Doesn't make sense to me. It's not like he was a part of the sexual assault case. I guess this is all a part of being a Gopher fan though...

I could care less about attendance. All TC can control is what is happening on the field. Tell me, how many seasons in the last 40 years you would trade for this one? 9 wins and a bowl victory.
I! Terms of entertainment value i would trade
Both of kills 8 win seasons.
1999, 2003, 2005

So 5?

In terms of results probably just 3. I would take 1999, 2003, and 2014

I was responding to a question, not saying firing was why he should befired

the AD thought it was more important to kowtow to the lynch mob instead of following the desires of 75% of Gopher supporters. " Squeaky wheel gets the grease." Apparently GH's don't make enough noise. Wait till the Gophers go 3-9, 4-8, 3-9 next three years. Then GH's can say, told you so.

the AD thought it was more important to kowtow to the lynch mob instead of following the desires of 75% of Gopher supporters. " Squeaky wheel gets the grease." Apparently GH's don't make enough noise. Wait till the Gophers go 3-9, 4-8, 3-9 next three years. Then GH's can say, told you so.

Well Jack, you get a new S and C guy. There is that.

Good question. Would trade only 3:
2014 - 1 fewer win overall but several quality B10 trophy wins. Fun season.
2003 - 10 wins. Beat Penn St., Wiskey, and Oregon.
1999 - 8-4 season but better B10 wins & attended a great Sun Bowl game in a loss.

Get the right guy in soon ( 1week ) you can save the recruiting class. Most kids will stick it out and not transfer ( D1 would have to sit out a year) I think 5 of the suspended players will be back. Also. depending on who they hire, the new coach may bring in some of his own recruits
( cue up Purdue) Don't drag out the Grimm Reaper yet boys.

Top Bottom