The program will take a step back, so question: Why?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
I am trying to follow the logic of Coyle's decision. The only thing I have come to decide is that he doesn't understand the ramifications this will have on the field. This team will not be good for a couple of years...

Was it really worth it to give into demands of a minority (most gopher fans wanted Claeys to stay)

I am trying to follow the logic of Coyle's decision. The only thing I have come to decide is that he doesn't understand the ramifications this will have on the field. This team will not be good for a couple of years...

Was it really worth it to give into demands of a minority (most gopher fans wanted Claeys to stay)

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Well we know we have an AD that will buckle to anyone crying loud enough. I can't wait to get out of this state.

Claeys was not Coyle's "guy." This factors in to the decision.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

The fans that have no-showed over the last year probably didn't want Claeys to stay.

Lackluster recruiting.

Lackluster attendance.

Lackluster fundraising.

Lackluster "feel" to the program (the wild card being the bowl game). We got to nine wins which is crazy for this program and there is almost no excitement. Compare to two years ago.

Off-the-field perceptions (or reality)

Lack of quality wins (again, the bowl being the possible exception)

Claeys was never meant to be the guy. He was temporary.

ADs always want their guy, just like CEOs want their people. This is unfortunate for the incumbent.

Not rocket science.

There are 100 or so really vocal fans on this board seem to think a Tweet got him fired and the U administration is doing everything they can to kill the program.

I am actually neutral on this saga. I would be willing to bet my shirt that there is more to the story, not necessarily anything scandalous, just more.

The fans that have no-showed over the last year probably didn't want Claeys to stay.

Lackluster recruiting.

Lackluster attendance.

Lackluster fundraising.

Lackluster "feel" to the program (the wild card being the bowl game). We got to nine wins which is crazy for this program and there is almost no excitement. Compare to two years ago.

ADs always want their guy, just like CEOs want their people. This is unfortunate for the incumbent.

Not rocket science.

There are 100 or so really vocal fans on this board seem to think a Tweet got him fired and the U administration is doing everything they can to kill the program.

I am actually neutral on this saga. I would be willing to bet my shirt that there is more to the story, not necessarily anything scandalous, just more.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

You might be onto something....

I think the answer is somewhere in Barnboy's post. However, don't lump me in with the no-shows.

Is going 6-6 next year like TC would have considered taking a step back?

Some people just don't get it. This is bigger than football. Claey's tweet sealed his fate. You don't publicly confront your bosses on something like this and get to keep your job, especially when you only got the job because the old coach had to leave in the middle of the season. Claey's tweet might be the dumbest tweet by someone in Gopher's athletics in the last couple of years, which is saying something.

Some people just don't get it. This is bigger than football. Claey's tweet sealed his fate. You don't publicly confront your bosses on something like this and get to keep your job, especially when you only got the job because the old coach had to leave in the middle of the season. Claey's tweet might be the dumbest tweet by someone in Gopher's athletics in the last couple of years, which is saying something.
Corrext

But Coyle just did.

He told a completely different story than Kaler told.

Is going 6-6 next year like TC would have considered taking a step back?

What makes you think they would have gone 6-6 next year?

Right now, 6-6 next year sounds like paradise.

What makes you think they would have gone 6-6 next year?

Right now, 6-6 next year sounds like paradise.

Because I don't think they would have won more than 6 games? I would have predicted 6-6 or 7-5 depending on if Michigan State being terrible was a one year thing or a permanent thing.

What makes you think they would do better than 6-6?

Not even comparable. The intent behind the two statements are completely different.

Lackluster recruiting.

Lackluster attendance.

Lackluster fundraising.

Not rocket science.

I agree. I don't get the love for Claeys. I mean attendance was in the toilet in a 9 win season and media attention was dismissive. I find it odd that so many people saw Claeys as the Savior of the program.

But Coyle just did.

He told a completely different story than Kaler told.

What was Kaler's story? Do you have a link? (I'm asking honestly. Didn't know their stories contradicted.)

These PC morons have cut the throat of the football program - but look at the other mistakes they've made in recent years.

BarnBoy probably has close to the best analysis on this whole affair. CoyledUpUnderDesk might have fired Claeys even without the whole suspension/boycott saga. AD's often want their own guy. This doesn't mean CoyledUpUnderDesk didn't completely mishandle the whole situation. He's a complete tool.

No evidence that a dumpster fire equals the whole program going down in flames. None. Let's see how this plays out.

If the D would have played anything like it did this year, we would have won a minimum of 6 games next year even if our QB had horrible 1st year struggles. I would have predicted 6-8 wins next year with a shot at 9 if we would even have Mitch level play at QB. Now - we will be back to wishing we could hit 6 wins to squeak into the Motor City Bowl. Unless Coyle has his coach already signed and just not revealed, this will go down as one of the dumbest moves in Gopher history and that is a hard list to make given our history.

If the D would have played anything like it did this year, we would have won a minimum of 6 games next year even if our QB had horrible 1st year struggles. I would have predicted 6-8 wins next year with a shot at 9 if we would even have Mitch level play at QB. Now - we will be back to wishing we could hit 6 wins to squeak into the Motor City Bowl. Unless Coyle has his coach already signed and just not revealed, this will go down as one of the dumbest moves in Gopher history and that is a hard list to make given our history.
So you agree 6/7 wins was a reasonable expectation for next year. Thanks.

Were you a sports guy when you were younger or just someone who watched from the stands? That tweet showed that Claeys was choosing the team over this joke of an administration. How can you fault a coach for not wanting to lose the respect of 90 other players that represented the U well? Clearly their performance on the field in the bowl game showed how the coaches and players rallied together as ONE.

Lackluster recruiting.

Lackluster attendance.

Lackluster fundraising.

Not rocket science.

Well said.

I agree. I don't get the love for Claeys. I mean attendance was in the toilet in a 9 win season and media attention was dismissive. I find it odd that so many people saw Claeys as the Savior of the program.

Ralph? It's pretty basic to anybody who's been a fan for more than a couple of years. In 2015 they were selling tickets off an 8-5 season and a Home Schedule that included TCU, Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin. To get tickets to the real popular games, you either had to buy Season tickets or buy tickets to lesser games tied to the real popular games.

This season, they were coming off a 6-7 season and their schedule "highlights" were Iowa.. yah just Iowa.

This year they are coming off a 9-4 season and have Nebraska and Wisconsin coming back. The 9-4 season probably won't help much now, but NE and WI tied to some of the non-marquee games? That will give them a little cover for next season.

It's the NEXT season, 2018, where the attendance might sag if there isn't a great season this year.

You see we've been told repeatedly that 9-4 isn't going to cut it anymore.

All that applies Ralph, if you're a fan or not.

Ralph? It's pretty basic to anybody who's been a fan for more than a couple of years. In 2015 they were selling tickets off an 8-5 season and a Home Schedule that included TCU, Nebraska, Michigan, and Wisconsin. To get tickets to the real popular games, you either had to buy Season tickets or buy tickets to lesser games tied to the real popular games.

This season, they were coming off a 6-7 season and their schedule "highlights" were Iowa.. yah just Iowa.

This year they are coming off a 9-4 season and have Nebraska and Wisconsin coming back. The 9-4 season probably won't help much now, but NE and WI tied to some of the non-marquee games? That will give them a little cover for next season.

It's the NEXT season, 2018, where the attendance might sag if there isn't a great season this year.

An Iowa game they completely didn't show up for. A highly successful college football program doesn't need to rely on the schedule to keep the attendance from going in the tank.

I see what you are saying, but a program on the upswing with fan attention still gets good attendance even when marque programs are not coming to town. People will come to see a good program and team that gives them a reason to come. Iowa doesn't have these problems based on who's coming to town. Michigan State even in a bad year had good attendance.

Top Bottom