The program is still trending up, but 2022 was a giant missed opportunity

Yes. And look at the future...

We saw today that Fleck can replace a very successful QB with a young gun who looks extremely promising. The Gopher defense has been outstanding under Fleck and Rossi. Minnesota under Fleck has been very disciplined — among the leaders in fewest penalties per year. The players are outstanding in the classroom and as citizens of the community.

The bitchers can bitch, and the mopes can mope, but I'm very happy with the direction this program is taking.
Are you still happy with the direction? Personally I like Fleck, but I do think the program growth has stunted. Maybe its maxed out, who knows...

Are you still happy with the direction? Personally I like Fleck, but I do think the program growth has stunted. Maybe its maxed out, who knows...
I'll give ya credit for finding an almost 2 year old thread to reply to...how did you even remember?

Anywho, I agree. I don't see us going into IMG and getting guys like Big Dan and Dunlap again. I think that worked early on when Fleck was new and could sell the fact he was taking over a P5 team and the "upside".

Now we're probably relegated to getting talent if it's homegrown like Perich and Johnson and Howard, otherwise picking through leftovers in the portal.

For a while I thought we needed the Row the Boat schtick, as that was a way of being unique and maybe appealing to players like Bateman. But now with being able to pay directly, I'd rather have an X's and O's coach like Bielema over a slogan and "program" coach.

I think it's hard to make any comparisons. look at all the changes in the last 3 years:
2021: NIL and unlimited transfers
2024: 18-team conference with no divisions

it took a year or so for NIL and unlimited transfers to really make an impact, so starting with 2022, college football for all practical purposes is an entirely different sport. whatever worked before may not work now.

for a school like MN - in a P4 conference - not a helmet school - doesn't have big-time NIL - a good season now is win 7 games and go to a bowl. a conference title or making the CFP playoffs is a pipe dream.

I think it's hard to make any comparisons. look at all the changes in the last 3 years:
2021: NIL and unlimited transfers
2024: 18-team conference with no divisions

it took a year or so for NIL and unlimited transfers to really make an impact, so starting with 2022, college football for all practical purposes is an entirely different sport. whatever worked before may not work now.

for a school like MN - in a P4 conference - not a helmet school - doesn't have big-time NIL - a good season now is win 7 games and go to a bowl. a conference title or making the CFP playoffs is a pipe dream.
Disagree

If gophers win 7 games this year they probably drop 2-3 by a score or less (already dropped one)

If you win 7, you’re a couple of breaks from 10 and a playoff birth.

Be competitive, win close games, and you set yourself up for a breakthrough if you finish the close games. This is no different than it was since the Mason era. The conference title is probably out of reach. But a playoff and a 10 win season is in play as a realistic goal for me

Is it just me, or do these dredged up x year old "gotcha" threads feel like there are people here lurking, thinking about boiling a pet rabbit on someone else's stove when they are away?

I can only imagine the skeletons sitting out there among my 6500 posts.

This one is dredging up a pretty reasonable take, given information available in 2022. I totally thought Kaliakmanis was going to be a great QB here after the 2022 Wisconsin game.

1726607241204.png

Is it just me, or do these dredged up x year old "gotcha" threads feel like there are people here lurking, thinking about boiling a pet rabbit on someone else's stove when they are away?

I can only imagine the skeletons sitting out there among my 6500 posts.

This one is dredging up a pretty reasonable take, given information available in 2022. I totally thought Kaliakmanis was going to be a great QB here after the 2022 Wisconsin game.

View attachment 33615
Hard to believe a badger fan would do that...
He should worry more about the badger's direction.

I'll gladly answer the question: Yes, I'm quite happy with the direction of the program.

I'll admit that the Athan Kaliakmanis experience was very disappointing.

But the overall program, the big picture, is solid. And the points I made waaaaay back then are still valid.

You of course have a right to disagree, but it would be nice if you could be more specific as to why. Are academics not important? Is discipline irrelevant? When you say the "growth is stunted", are you referring to 2023? I'd like to hear your side of this in a little more detail.

I'll gladly answer the question: Yes, I'm quite happy with the direction of the program.

I'll admit that the Athan Kaliakmanis experience was very disappointing.

But the overall program, the big picture, is solid. And the points I made waaaaay back then are still valid.

You of course have a right to disagree, but it would be nice if you could be more specific as to why. Are academics not important? Is discipline irrelevant? When you say the "growth is stunted", are you referring to 2023? I'd like to hear your side of this in a little more detail.
I think Fleck runs a good program and I like him. Off the field I would give him an “A” for sure. I think since 2019 there has been limited if any growth overall. Two winning seasons and two losing seasons, I guess maybe I was expecting more on the field.

I think Fleck runs a good program and I like him. Off the field I would give him an “A” for sure. I think since 2019 there has been limited if any growth overall. Two winning seasons and two losing seasons, I guess maybe I was expecting more on the field.

Well, as I told a different fellow poster on a different thread: I'm sorry your expectations haven't been met. As for me, I'm pretty happy with our direction.

Well, as I told a different fellow poster on a different thread: I'm sorry your expectations haven't been met. As for me, I'm pretty happy with our direction.
And the great thing about America is we can all have different opinions and still be friends!

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom