The "Professional" Predictions

MKE_Gopher

Reaction score
Since there is a thread of all of us here predicting the USC game, I thought we could have a thread of all the national predictions as well to see how our favorite squad is being viewed nationally.

I'll start it off with this one from collegefootballtalk.com

TWO MORE YOU SHOULDN’T IGNORE

Minnesota at No. 25 USC
Saturday, Sept. 3 – 3:30 PM ET

The Golden Gophers gave the Trojans all they could handle for just about three quarters last year in Minneapolis, before dropping a 32-21 decision.

The very next week, armed with the tape of that game, Jerry Kill coached Northern Illinois to a 34-23 upset of Minnesota. Kill’s now the head man in charge of the Gophers.

Surely it didn’t take him long to determine that the Trojans have a habit of not defending well against mobile quarterbacks, even before Monte Kiffin arrived from the formulaic NFL to run the defense.

Versatile Gopher quarterback MarQueis Gray could pose some problems for the Coliseum dwellers.

USC 31-20

Pat Forde:

Upset watch

A couple of bold opening-week predictions sure to go wrong:

Minnesota (36) will shock USC. Yes, even in the Coliseum. The Dash is a believer in new Gophers coach Jerry Kill, and he will rev up the running game behind dual-threat quarterback MarQueis Gray. The Trojans were soft last year against the run (141 yards per game and a fat 4.4 yards per carry). Kickoff is early Los Angeles time (12:30 p.m.). If Minnesota gets off to a fast start and controls the ball, look out.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...llege-football-preview-dashing-offseason-hell

ESPN B1G Ten Blog:

MINNESOTA at No. 25 USC

Adam Rittenberg: Your neighbor Pat Forde likes the Gophers in a huge upset. I'm not quite as bold, although MarQueis Gray helps Minnesota hang around for a while. ... USC 30, Minnesota 20

Brian Bennett: First-time QB, new coaching staff, on the road -- this might not be the golden age of Troy, but I can't see the Gophers getting it done. ... USC 28, Minnesota 14.

Bruce Feldman (now with CBS): http://www.cbssports.com/#!/college...me-for-a-fresh-start-and-some-actual-football

Southern California 43, Minnesota 17: It's true the Trojans have had problems over the years dealing with mobile QBs, and the Gophers have a capable one in big MarQueis Gray. New Gophers coach Jerry Kill knows how to crank up a running game. But Monte Kiffin has simplified his scheme and there is a lot more speed on the defense than there was last year for USC, and it's a group that should be able to stay sharp tackling, unlike in 2010. The Trojans also have an impressive collection of young wideouts for Matt Barkley to work with, led by Robert Woods and top newcomer Marqise Lee.

Top Bottom