The problem wih a coaching change is

gopher pops

Reaction score
Brewster's first year the 1 and what ever season was due mostly to the fact that because of the coaching change many of mason's kids left the program leaving the cabinets empty.

If you have a coaching change before Brewster's first recruiting class hits the field full force.. you will have the same results...

when you fire a head coach you fire the assistants as well..... The individuals who sat in these kids living rooms for the last two years will be gone...

I have posted time and again that the 08 recruiting class is a tight knit group from the position coaches down to the players.

The team is moving in the right direction but if you make a coaching change now instead of being one to two years away you will start all over again on another 5 year process..

because i can guarantee if this coaching staff is gone so is a large number of the talented players that came to the u because of them.

IMO, a lot of attitudes that we have towards sports in Minnesota are pretty unique to the area. I think a lot of what we see is based on the extremely passive-agressive nature of our local population:

I believe our obsession with leadership change is a manifestation of our desire to lash out and punish people for effecting our emotions. People know that replacing coaches every three years is stupid, but some desire revenge for having their feelings hurt.

This is also why we heard some people say last year, "the Gophers don't deserve to go to a bowl game", despite that the 7 wins made this comment totally ridiculous.

It's also why so many fans demonstrably grab their things, shake their heads in disapproval and walk up (or down) the stairs to "beat the traffic" whena big play makes it appear a game is going to be lost, despite that they have nothing better to do with the 10-minutes they just "saved".

These are not actions or viewpoints based on reason. They are based on the emotions of passive-agressive individuals. But like all stereotypes of a region's people, it doesn't hold for all of us. And that's why we have such strongly differing viewpoints on some of this stuff.

Just a theory.

IMO, a lot of attitudes that we have towards sports in Minnesota are pretty unique to the area. I think a lot of what we see is based on the extremely passive-agressive nature of our local population:
These are not actions or viewpoints based on reason. They are based on the emotions of passive-agressive individuals. But like all stereotypes of a region's people, it doesn't hold for all of us. And that's why we have such strongly differing viewpoints on some of this stuff.

Just a theory.

Here are a few more theories to throw in the pot:

1) Today's America is largely a blamer society: problems, irritations, upsets, shortfalls in expectations are always someone else's fault...another driver, husband/wife, our ungrateful kids, boorish inlaws, relatives of all stripes, arrogant teachers, crooked politicians, illegal/legal immigrants, our neighbors...and of course in the sporting arena, stupid, incompetent, unqualified coaches. Not just a Minny phenomena, take a look at message boards across America after a defeat...sports venting is a socially harmless venue for expressing blame on a mass scale.

2) A need for instant gratification: many Americans demand results NOW. Better schools, more jobs, improved healthcare, fancy vacations...easy this, easy that...and NOW. Thus, not getting the results wanted from your football heroes? "Fire Brewster...NOW!".

3) A desire for simple...almost childlike...solutions in a complex world: many examples here...no need to enumerate them. Again, re GH, the simple solution: "Fire (insert name)...NOW!".

Of course, there are other theories as well.

From my distant view, GH discussion...rational and irrational, analysis, speculation, venting, ranting and flaming...is simply a microcosm of much of what is going on in America and not particularly unique to Minny or the Upper Midwest although there are some regional factors at play here.

Why GHers chose to spend considerable time participating in this microcosm is another interesting topic.

Coaching change talk is meaningless. Unless there is major scanlde Brew is here for awhile. I tihnk it is important to note that many of the people who want Brew gone also wanted Mason gone. They desire change for change sake.

There are two arguments really. Should Maturi have hired Brewster? I would say the answer might be no. He was clearly inexperienced though he did do what he was hired to do- he works hard to publicize the program and recruits well. An establsihed coach who can do this doesn't come to Minnesota.

The second argument is should the coach be replaced now. The answer is no. Absolutely not. We have now invested three years in building Brewster. He still shows the same passion but is growing as a coach. Year 4 will be better and so on. Mark my words, if Brewster got canned, he would end up at a MAC type school do well and then back to a BCS program. People can see he can recruit and recruiting is a huge part of NCAA football.

Let's give Brewster some time. Any talk of firing him is ridiculous.

Look at the Illinois game:

Did Brewster throw the interception that was run back for a touchdown?

Did Brewster punt 22 yards giving Illinois great field position?

Did Brewster kick the ball out of bounds giving Illinois the ball on the 40 yard line?

Did Brewster drop two sure interceptions?

Did Brewster not tackle an Illinois player that led to a 42 yard reception/run and the winning touchdown?

Did Brewster go 5-17 on passes in the first half?

Let's give Brewster some time. Any talk of firing him is ridiculous.

Look at the Illinois game:

Did Brewster throw the interception that was run back for a touchdown?

Did Brewster punt 22 yards giving Illinois great field position?

Did Brewster kick the ball out of bounds giving Illinois the ball on the 40 yard line?

Did Brewster drop two sure interceptions?

Did Brewster not tackle an Illinois player that led to a 42 yard reception/run and the winning touchdown?

Did Brewster go 5-17 on passes in the first half?

No...is the simple answer...and I agree mostly with the simple answer. However...

Brew Bashers here would also say "no" with this caveat: his players did, and if Brew & Staff were more experienced, competent coaches, their player development/coaching techniques would have minimized these mistakes/snafus in execution.

This type of argument is of course in the "what if" and "only if" category which makes up a good deal of the interesting discussion, speculation, venting and ranting on this board.

No...is the simple answer...and I agree mostly with the simple answer. However...

Brew Bashers here would also say "no" with this caveat: his players did, and if Brew & Staff were more experienced, competent coaches, their player development/coaching techniques would have minimized these mistakes/snafus in execution.

This type of argument is of course in the "what if" and "only if" category which makes up a good deal of the interesting discussion, speculation, venting and ranting on this board.

And I don't know how much of this was play calling and how much was Weber, but the passes we were attempting in the first half were absurd. It seems like we reverted to "chuck it up to the tallest WR on the field, even if he's tightly covered 40 yards away." I'm almost ready to start calling DaJon McKnight "Decker Light"

Winnipergopher - "He was clearly inexperienced though he did do what he was hired to do- he works hard to publicize the program and recruits well."

I think you have hit on the main reason Brewster was hired. The reason being this porgram need to be publicized and the recruiting needed to be vastly imporved. Supposely this is what Brewster was good at and I would say at least it seems he has done well so far.

From what I remember promoting and recruiting were high on Maturi's list for candidates ahead of the X's and O's side of the equation. It still remains to be seen if Brewster can improve on the X's and O's side but I believe that he has done well in promoting, may have over promoted to begin with, and certainly has improved the recruiting.

I'd be willing to give Brewster more time if any of his assistants were willing to give him time. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

And I don't know how much of this was play calling and how much was Weber, but the passes we were attempting in the first half were absurd. It seems like we reverted to "chuck it up to the tallest WR on the field, even if he's tightly covered 40 yards away." I'm almost ready to start calling DaJon McKnight "Decker Light"

Don't you think alot of the play calling at the start of the game is part of the game plan. I loved watching Ohio State at the metrodome because you could see exactly what the game plan was. When they had Ginn and Rodriguez the initial series was three long bombs, all incomplete. They got the attention of the corners because of their speed and the rest of the game was made up of crossing patterns and delay drags across the middle. Believe me they had room.

You can't give up 28 points in the first half. The defense has to perform to let the offense get going. I really am starting to enjoy the game plan the coaches are putting together on offense.

Coaching change talk is meaningless. Unless there is major scanlde Brew is here for awhile. I tihnk it is important to note that many of the people who want Brew gone also wanted Mason gone. They desire change for change sake.

There are two arguments really. Should Maturi have hired Brewster? I would say the answer might be no. He was clearly inexperienced though he did do what he was hired to do- he works hard to publicize the program and recruits well. An establsihed coach who can do this doesn't come to Minnesota.

The second argument is should the coach be replaced now. The answer is no. Absolutely not. We have now invested three years in building Brewster. He still shows the same passion but is growing as a coach. Year 4 will be better and so on. Mark my words, if Brewster got canned, he would end up at a MAC type school do well and then back to a BCS program. People can see he can recruit and recruiting is a huge part of NCAA football.

That is one of the most scariest true statements there is! Along with that there is also absolutely no responsibility with demanding others change.

I'd be willing to give Brewster more time if any of his assistants were willing to give him time. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

what do ya mean???????

as far as I know, from first-hand knowledge, they are a very tight knit coaching staff.

You're wrong. The assistants that have left of their own free will all left for better jobs. A few have been fired. Not to mention the fact that many of our position coaches have been here with Brewster since he started.

I guess you'll have to find something else to rip Brewster on. But you could at least try to find a legitimate gripe.

You're wrong. The assistants that have left of their own free will all left for better jobs. A few have been fired. Not to mention the fact that many of our position coaches have been here with Brewster since he started.

I guess you'll have to find something else to rip Brewster on. But you could at least try to find a legitimate gripe.

Show me a good program that has had 3 DCs and 2 OCs in 3 years?

They don't exist.

Show me a good program that has had 3 DCs and 2 OCs in 3 years?

They don't exist.

So what's your point? Minnesota is not a good program. It hasn't been for more than four decades. So we're supposed to hold Brewster to the standards of a good program even though he's the head coach of a not-good program?

Now that I know your standards are unrealistic, I can be sure that you're just talking to hear your head rattle.

what do ya mean???????

as far as I know, from first-hand knowledge, they are a very tight knit coaching staff.

They are tight, this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Where there's smoke there fire? What?
Everyone that has left either left due to a better job offer or were fired for unacceptable performance.

So what's your point? Minnesota is not a good program. It hasn't been for more than four decades. So we're supposed to hold Brewster to the standards of a good program even though he's the head coach of a not-good program?

Now that I know your standards are unrealistic, I can be sure that you're just talking to hear your head rattle.

From what I read here, most think Minny is trying to become a good program.

Looking around the country, one of the necessary conditions seems to be coaching stability.

Jovs, you sound like a football person or coach, you have to realize most people on these boards don't have a clue. But they did play HS ball so they know it all. Brew is learning as a head coach and I think, given 4-5 yrs. he will build a good program. By redshirting these young kids he is doing the right thing to build it from the bottom up.

From what I read here, most think Minny is trying to become a good program.

Looking around the country, one of the necessary conditions seems to be coaching stability.

Agreed on both counts.

But you can't hold the coach to the standards of a good program when he's not there yet.

A medical student can't be sued for malpractice.

Whether or not you think that Brewster should be fired (I personally do not), there is no way that he can be fired after 3 years. What coach is going to take this job and move his family here knowing that if he doesn't take this program to a New Years Day bowl (which hasn't happened since 1962!) in the first three years that he will be fired? Can any of the people whom want Brewster gone name one decent coach that would take the job with these circumstances?

littlebigboy has a crush

Ron Johnson Super Fan I could not agree more. Jovs, I think littlebigboy has a crush on you. I actually know he is a former college football coach and member of the last championship team from Minnesota.

Really, Coach McDonald left for a non coaching Quality Control position with Cleveland Browns, that is a better job huh? For those that say Brewster needs more time, why don't you expect him to show the same courtesy then to his assistants that he fired and give them more time as many expect for him. Also, if his assistants were bad then shouldn't Brewster be held accoutable for these "bad hires."

Really, Coach McDonald left for a non coaching Quality Control position with Cleveland Browns, that is a better job huh?

Considering less than three months after he left the Gophers, he was named wide receivers coach for the Browns....yes, better job.

Considering less than three months after he left the Gophers, he was named wide receivers coach for the Browns....yes, better job.

That wasn't the job he left for however.

Top Bottom