The passing game!

Does anyone feel like I do that the reason for all the sideline peaks is because the coaching staff doesn’t trust their 4th. QB to make the correct play call. If so, what a shame. That’s why you practice. Versus this defense with 6 in the box, you run this combination of plays depending on who Is winning the war up front. Pretty simple.

I'm about to say something SUPER unpopular that hadn't occured to me until this morning, but what if Matt Simon has more control over the passing game than we know in his role as "passing game coordinator"? Not worth arguing about since none of us know what's going on in the building, but it's interesting we give Simon a total pass when the worst part of our offense is literally in his job title. On the flip side, the running game has been phenomenal this season. TON of creative sets, new wrinkles every week like the "toss zone" against Iowa, and typically a plan for every opponent. The passing game clearly stinks. Not only is Morgan playing horribly, the plan for throwing the ball each week is rarely a good one -- and isn't adjusted during the game.

Clearly SOMETHING has to change. We can only hope Fleck changes his best and identifies the real problem whether it's Morgan's play, Sanford's playcalling, Simon's contributions to the weekly plan, or the generally conservative approach on O.
100%
if there needs to be an OC change it should be someone outside the current room unless you want more of the same

If we had a QB who could play with the dash and aggressiveness, both passing and on the occasional run, as Jalon Daniels of Kansas, we'd have won two or three more games. And he's a sophomore, playing on a team in a steep rebuild job.

If we had a QB who could play with the dash and aggressiveness, both passing and on the occasional run, as Jalon Daniels of Kansas, we'd have won two or three more games. And he's a sophomore, playing on a team in a steep rebuild job.
Yeah I am hoping someone waiting in the wings is a little more dynamic

During Fleck's presser on Monday, he was asked about the 3rd and 7 play where CAB was wide-open and Morgan gunned the ball over his head. Fleck said (paraphrasing) that CAB should have caught the ball, because it was within his "catch radius." I found the clip - CAB leaps and his fingertips maybe brush the bottom of the ball. he had no chance to catch that ball - the way it was thrown.

Fleck also said that Morgan's throw was "perfectly timed," while not discussing accuracy.

Bottom line (IMHO) - Fleck is trying so hard to defend/protect Morgan that he is throwing the WR's under the bus.

He went back to that "catch radius" routine a couple of other times during the press conference. so the WR's are supposed to catch everything, no matter where it's thrown.

You’re mad the punt bounced and rolled 10 yards. It didn’t. No matter what anyone on here feels or thinks—it doesn’t matter. PJ isn’t reading this for advice. The AD isn’t taking our recommendations. You’re over thinking it. If you don’t enjoy the team or this message board cut them from your life. You’ll be happier and can find a new hobby. I enjoy wood working.

Almost 9,000 posts on here. From what I have read, roughly 8,500 are your opinions. The other 500 are telling people that nobody cares about their opinions and posting them on a message board are a waste of their time. You don't find that to be a bit of a contradiction?

During Fleck's presser on Monday, he was asked about the 3rd and 7 play where CAB was wide-open and Morgan gunned the ball over his head. Fleck said (paraphrasing) that CAB should have caught the ball, because it was within his "catch radius." I found the clip - CAB leaps and his fingertips maybe brush the bottom of the ball. he had no chance to catch that ball - the way it was thrown.

Fleck also said that Morgan's throw was "perfectly timed," while not discussing accuracy.

Bottom line (IMHO) - Fleck is trying so hard to defend/protect Morgan that he is throwing the WR's under the bus.

He went back to that "catch radius" routine a couple of other times during the press conference. so the WR's are supposed to catch everything, no matter where it's thrown.
Well, that makes it pretty clear we're not gonna see a change at QB, so we now need to hope for other changes that could improve the passing game such as simplifying Tanner's reads/progressions, tweaking the route tree for things he does well, and scheming up aggressive "gadget" type plays in film study...things like RB wheel routes, play-action that's not been shown yet, flea flickers, throwbacks across the field, etc. Doing the same thing they've been doing isn't going to beat Wisconsin, I'm sorry. 2019 Morgan isn't coming back. They need to figure out how to beat a championship-level opponent with 2021 Morgan if they insist on playing him.

Well, that makes it pretty clear we're not gonna see a change at QB, so we now need to hope for other changes that could improve the passing game such as simplifying Tanner's reads/progressions, tweaking the route tree for things he does well, and scheming up aggressive "gadget" type plays in film study...things like RB wheel routes, play-action that's not been shown yet, flea flickers, throwbacks across the field, etc. Doing the same thing they've been doing isn't going to beat Wisconsin, I'm sorry. 2019 Morgan isn't coming back. They need to figure out how to beat a championship-level opponent with 2021 Morgan if they insist on playing him.

This is all stated from the premise of expecting improvement out of the offense and adapting schemes to fit the situation. Which many/most of us can appreciate but at least according to what he says, PJ seems to be stuck in the mindset of 'limit mistakes, keep it close, and one of these times, you will get the right breaks and pull it off. We were only one play away'.

That was fine the first couple years, but not as much with this team in year 5.

Almost 9,000 posts on here. From what I have read, roughly 8,500 are your opinions. The other 500 are telling people that nobody cares about their opinions and posting them on a message board are a waste of their time. You don't find that to be a bit of a contradiction?
If you read all 9,000 of my posts I’d be very disturbed. I also posts some facts if you want to find those.

And I never told the OP his opinion was a waste of time. I told him to calm down about getting mad that other people aren’t mad about what he is mad about.

Top Bottom