The Option?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I didn't hear much about the option being practiced in the public practices, but I've been curious as to whether there was a heavy dose of it practiced behind closed doors. Did NIU or SIU run much option?

They run a lot of zone-read or read option, which is very different than the "option" that comes to mind when people hear the word, i.e. the triple option that has historically been used by the service academies.

In his limited snaps at QB the past two seasons, Q ran the zone-read probably 80% or more of the time, especially two seasons ago. It is a great play for someone like him, because he is a fast and physical runner, and since he is still learning the playbook, it is simple because it only requires one read: what is the weakside DE doing? If he cuts inside, Q will get to the edge and break off 8-10 yard runs all day long.

The option play most think of is run with the QB under center, the first option the full back, second tailback, or QB keeper based on reading the defense on the run. As stated above the zone read or speed option is a one read play. And that is why Bennett must be a threat. If they play Marquis, and he opts to Bennett he must make them pay.

I'd be surprised if we see less than 10-15 zone read/read option plays today. THis will probably be a staple of our offense with Gray at QB. If we see more than that, it likely means good things for the offense today as we are piling up yards on the ground.

Top Bottom