The officials got the result they wanted

EG#9

Reaction score
No excuse for the Gophers poor play today, but the officiating today would have made Bobby Knight proud. The officials made a minimum of a 12-15 point swing in the game, including a 4 point swing in OT.

The Gophers were out of position and hacking players all day. Don't blame the refs, blame poor preparedness and lazy play.

not a big fan of blaming refs, but the announcers certainly got the result they wanted:rolleyes:

As I said in the chat room, I have little time for this "the refs screwed us" mentality.

Show up. Play with effort. Don't make the refs a factor.

The Gophers were out of position and hacking players all day. Don't blame the refs, blame poor preparedness and lazy play.

Right, and with that lazy play, they STILL had a 5-point lead in overtime, yet Verdell Jones went to the line for every ticky-tack call that the refs could think of. Let's omit the rest of the game, and just take the overtime as an example. Did you see any fouls on Joseph's drive with the 78-77 lead? I saw two major fouls. What were you looking at. Conversely, did Sampson really foul Jones at the top of the key? Did Carter really commit a foul for Jones coming over the top of his right hand? Did Jones really not carry on his go-ahead shot, and did Joseph really foul Jones when he made his jumper?

Now, we can argue all we want that the Gophers did not play well tonight. I will say that was a pathetic effort on the defensive boards. But that said, IU was just as pathetic, while just getting many more questionable foul shot opportunities. That's just fact. Maybe the Gophers didn't "deserve" to win, but just because a team plays bad does not mean that they didn't outplay the other team.

We can point out a hundred different things that the Gophers did wrong tonight. Yet I can point out one fact that trumps all that - the refs totally decided that game.

Right, and with that lazy play, they STILL had a 5-point lead in overtime, yet Verdell Jones went to the line for every ticky-tack call that the refs could think of. Let's omit the rest of the game, and just take the overtime as an example. Did you see any fouls on Joseph's drive with the 78-77 lead? I saw two major fouls. What were you looking at. Conversely, did Sampson really foul Jones at the top of the key? Did Carter really commit a foul for Jones coming over the top of his right hand? Did Jones really not carry on his go-ahead shot, and did Joseph really foul Jones when he made his jumper?

No Joseph did not foul him, he was falling away and he fell on his own. I could see that!! And so could some of the idiot fans, they were laughing.

Now, we can argue all we want that the Gophers did not play well tonight. I will say that was a pathetic effort on the defensive boards. But that said, IU was just as pathetic, while just getting many more questionable foul shot opportunities. That's just fact. Maybe the Gophers didn't "deserve" to win, but just because a team plays bad does not mean that they didn't outplay the other team.

We can point out a hundred different things that the Gophers did wrong tonight. Yet I can point out one fact that trumps all that - the refs totally decided that game.

You know...CNCMIN You are pretty smart. I can't say that about many of the poster on here. I like your thinking.

To anybody that complains about the ref calls in overtime I ask this: What were we doing being in a close game with Indiana? The refs called everything on both sides. We allowed it to be the game it turned out to be. Face it we played horribly.

To anybody that complains about the ref calls in overtime I ask this: What were we doing being in a close game with Indiana? The refs called everything on both sides. We allowed it to be the game it turned out to be. Face it we played horribly.

Completely agree. I don't think the refs did a very good job, but it should never have been a close game in the first place. The fact of the matter was that for much of the game, we were just plain lazy, especially on defense. There is no excuse for the effort level put forth today. For more than 30 minutes, we did everything we could to make sure Indiana had control.

To anybody that complains about the ref calls in overtime I ask this: What were we doing being in a close game with Indiana?

I'm not even commenting on the refs but this point is irrelevant. I think we'd all agree the Gophs played poorly but that has nothing to do with how the game should be called.

Completely agree. I don't think the refs did a very good job, but it should never have been a close game in the first place. The fact of the matter was that for much of the game, we were just plain lazy, especially on defense. There is no excuse for the effort level put forth today. For more than 30 minutes, we did everything we could to make sure Indiana had control.

Yes, we established that the Gophers didn't play well, and yet you still can't explain how Jones continuously got to the line on questionable calls in OT...how do you beat that? By making every shot? That's the only way possible, and that's not easy to do, even if you're playing third-graders. Scoring 9 points in OT should easily suffice. How many points did IU score from the line in OT alone?

refs

Good teams find a way to win. We played poorly, but were in a position to win. Bad day and we still had a chance. The refs influence the outcome greatly. If you say we shouldn't have been a position to lose the game by the refs?! Okay, then let's just give every bad team a 10 pt. cusion and see if that sounds fair too.

Announcers: wow. I know they probably can't bash refs, but a little unbiased analysis of questionable calls would be nice. And they were praising Indiana's great play even as they turned the ball over or got tick-tack calls their way. Hardly a word about MN toughness to come back and make the shots or defensive stops.

i was just pissed at jones because of that whole sticking out his tongue thing. classless

How to avoid it??

You dont play like crap and get down by 15pts against an inferior team...

No excuses BUT- here is an excuse - see that alot here...

Worse call of the night was on IU's big man for his 5th foul. Ref said he bumped Nolan out of bounds on the baseline and a fall was called. Guy didnt touch and then Nolan clanked a throw..

Darn refs...

Yes, the Gophers played horribly, but they did come back from a 15 point deficit and so they were playing well towards the end of the game. It was a shame to see Indiana go to the line for "fouls" called on the Gophers more than 15 feet from the basket. The fact that Paul Carter and Ralph Sampson were both fouled out on extremely questionable calls cannot be overlooked. The Devoe non-call with the Gophers having a 1 point lead late in OT was unreal considering how the game was being called on the other end of the floor.

Anyone notice how many time IU playes fell to the floor to draw a foul? The elbowing call on Iverson, the charge on Carter? In hockey it would have resulted in simultaneous calls , one on the Gphers and one on the IU dive.

What a surprise. You're whining about the refs again just like the Purdue game. Like others have said in this thread, the Gophers have no business losing this game so they should've TCOB and the refs aren't an issue.

As I said in the chat room, I have little time for this "the refs screwed us" mentality.

Show up. Play with effort. Don't make the refs a factor.

I love that idea but alot of times refs won't let that happen. Some officals-Hightower, Burr, Valentine all come to mind right away-they inject themselves into the game and won't just let them play. That happened to Purdue at NW they wouldn't let just play. It was a terrible job. I personally wish all officals are subject to public critism from coaches, announcers, players, etc. They are professionals and should be treated as such. No other profession are that protected as much as they are. For as much as they get paid they can live with being subject to being called out.

What a surprise. You're whining about the refs again just like the Purdue game. Like others have said in this thread, the Gophers have no business losing this game so they should've TCOB and the refs aren't an issue.

You are right. This game should not have been close. The Gophers should have handled Indiana, no problem.

The Gophers did not play well though. It was close. And guess what, when games are close how the game is called by the refs matters a lot. It just so happened that the Gophers got the short end of the stick, especially in OT.

not a big fan of blaming refs, but the announcers certainly got the result they wanted:rolleyes:

As soon as I heard the one guy talk about "Matt Hoffarber" I knew we got the F team. They were horrible. I understand the screaming for big shots typing the game up, but I never felt they showed that enthusiasm when we were making those big shots. They went over the top for IU plays.

Come on people. National announcers don't care who wins a game. Believe me. I know. Please get this ridiculous thought out of your heads.

Here's what happens though. Announcers want to see something unexpected. They do 4-5 games a week for who knows how many years. They've come to expect the norm. They want to see something that invokes passion. Think of a day-to-day job. It might be the same thing everyday. Same with announcers. Indiana upsetting the Gophers would be the unexpected. That's why you heard the reaction you did from Gus Johnson. Listen to his memorable calls. They all involve the unexpected happening:
- Princeton over UCLA in 1996
- Gonzaga over Florida in 1999
- Adam Morrison banking in a game-winner over OK St in 2004
- Ohio State over #1 Illinois in 2005
- UCLA rallying from 17 down to beat Gonzaga in 2006

National experienced announcers like Gus don't care who wins a game. But they get excited for the unexpected. People need to deal with it and stop getting so mad at announcers.

Also, I hate it when people complain when a name gets pronounced wrong by an announcer. It's a small mistake - like a typo. Who cares if he said Damien Jones one time out of 50 in the game? He meant Johnson. Its a small mistake. Deal with it and be glad you can listen to an award- winning announcer like Gus.

You have to be un-American to not like Gus Johnson. By far the most exciting announcer in the booths.

Also, I hate it when people complain when a name gets pronounced wrong by an announcer. It's a small mistake - like a typo. Who cares if he said Damien Jones one time out of 50 in the game? He meant Johnson. Its a small mistake. Deal with it and be glad you can listen to an award- winning announcer like Gus.

I know, being prepared for a game by knowing the names of the starting line up is HARD.

They know the names of the players. If they didn't know the names it would be mispronounced all game. None were. It is a simple. small, meaningless slip-up - similar to a meaningless typo someone sends in a work email.

Top Bottom