The Offense going forward

wait!what?

Reaction score
Jerry Kill and Staff have never had an opportunity to coach this much FB talent. The next few years should be interesting to see what the staff concocts. Claeys appears to be able to get his D in places to make plays regardless of the talent/stars.
Its more JK and Lime on offense that have been given the kids that should be able to create operable/repeatable schemes.

I always get my hopes up that the O will be more creative but we have been reminded in word and deed that it will be pound ball. still, who knows....

Jerry Kill and Staff have never had an opportunity to coach this much FB talent. The next few years should be interesting to see what the staff concocts. Claeys appears to be able to get his D in places to make plays regardless of the talent/stars.
Its more JK and Lime on offense that have been given the kids that should be able to create operable/repeatable schemes.

I always get my hopes up that the O will be more creative but we have been reminded in word and deed that it will be pound ball. still, who knows....

I would expect our offense to get better at the things that we do, but under Kill, we will always be a really run-heavy team. There are some things that we couldn't do well last year because of our youth at QB and WR, so that stuff could improve a bit. However, we are still counting on a bunch of SOs (Leidner, Wolitarsky, Jones, Williams) and some FR. The passing game is still going to be a work in progress next season.

However, even when these guys are upper classmen, you're going to see a heavy dose of running. It will be a vanilla-ish offense based on pounding the ball. That's not going to change. A change that could come is that our playmakers start making big plays. That will make that boring HB dive, look like an electrifying 45 yard sprint. It will make the 9 yard slant look like the greatest show on turf. When we start executing better and our playmakers start breaking big plays, our "boring" offense will start to look exciting. . .but nothing would have changed philosophically.

What is with these 'thinking out loud' thread titles that don't describe the thread at all? This is a message board not your personal blog.

I don't think we need to change our offense from what we saw post-Michigan game from them. We need players to execute. We can talk until we are blue in the face about how we want it to be more creative, but what we did last year won us four games, and could have won us a few more (in my opinion) but for misexecutions when a QB had an open WR (both sides at fault, drops, bad throws to open guys, failing to see and throw to the open guys). I honestly think, even with our "boring" offense, we were simple throw-and-catch mistakes away from 6-2.

I'm all in favor of our offense going forward.

I agree. It is indeed an interesting concept. I think it has a chance to work.

But is there a point where we should ever stop going forward? Surely there has to be some sort of goal in mind.

I love the ground and pound. 3 TE and 2 RB sets are music to my ears. Gimme more, Kill!

What is with these 'thinking out loud' thread titles that don't describe the thread at all? This is a message board not your personal blog.

You're probably better off letting it go or getting over it. They're not going anywhere.

However, being too forward or offensive could be seen as un-pc and result in our removal from football.

But is there a point where we should ever stop going forward? Surely there has to be some sort of goal in mind.

One would hope that point is somewhere beyond the goalline, but before we reach the wall behind the endzone. The last thing we need is some kind of Forrest Gump situation where our players take the ball and run down Fourth Street with it.

Yes, and although no one is talking about it, if Coach Kill does have a spell, I hope that we all - including him - can live with it. MSU coach Dantonio lives with a heart condition - so do some other coaches. Many top flight professionals have illnesses of one kind or another. Kill's is a tricky illness - can disappear, then come back. You never know (basing this on a close friend who has had a completely successful career in the business world).

THIS POST COULD USE MOAR TE'S PLZ.

When I used to play NCAA 20xx I would only recruit blocking WR's, and beefy road grader linemen. My run/pass ratio was something like 80/20. MOAR TE'S!!!

Top Bottom