The NCAA Celebration Penalty in practice....

The rule definitely needs to be revisited and a dose of common sense administered. The unfortunate thing is that common sense is increasingly uncommon.

The rule definitely needs to be revisited and a dose of common sense administered. The unfortunate thing is that common sense is increasingly uncommon.

Yep, I agree nsmike. That is the main reason I hated the rule, I didn't trust the officials to be able to use common sense.

While the rule DOES need to be revisited (ie. better defined), I have no problem with this rule.

I know if I had done this in HS, my coach would have benched my ass (he was a Bud Grant protege). I have no problems celebrating a TD, but lets score the damn thing first before fist pumping. I wouldn't have been mad if the call wasn't made, but I can't be mad that it was, either.

If I was this school, I'd be putting a big asterisk by this score.

This is a rule that needs to go. It is applied inconsistently, and it confuses excessive celebration with taunting, they are two different things. Simple excitement isn't taunting or excessive celebration, and it puts too much power to change the game in the hands of the referees. Raising your fist into the air is not taunting, and is not excessive. The intent gets lost, it was to curtail these big orchestrated end zone celebrations, now, so much as smile and you risk losing the score. The refs simply can't be trusted with that much power.

If I was this school, I'd be putting a big asterisk by this score.

This is a rule that needs to go. It is applied inconsistently, and it confuses excessive celebration with taunting, they are two different things. Simple excitement isn't taunting or excessive celebration, and it puts too much power to change the game in the hands of the referees. Raising your fist into the air is not taunting, and is not excessive. The intent gets lost, it was to curtail these big orchestrated end zone celebrations, now, so much as smile and you risk losing the score. The refs simply can't be trusted with that much power.

And they probably shouldn't be burdened with it either.

Maybe kids should stop celebrating before they get in the endzone. I have no issue with this. Probably wouldn't have called it, but I don't have a problem with it either.

The other one people whined about this year...the LSU punter...that was great call. I hope they change the rules so you can eject kids like that. Terrible sportsmanship.

I think that the heartburn has to do with losing the score. In a case where the runner is unimpeded, and is not obviously taunting the opposition, perhaps a 15 yard penalty exercised on the kickoff would be appropriate. The 15 yard penalty from the spot should be reserved for obvious taunting.

Maybe kids should stop celebrating before they get in the endzone. I have no issue with this. Probably wouldn't have called it, but I don't have a problem with it either.

The other one people whined about this year...the LSU punter...that was great call. I hope they change the rules so you can eject kids like that. Terrible sportsmanship.

^LIBERAL^?!

On my HS team our coach would have never stood for pre-endzone celebration or any kind of celebration for that matter, "act like you've done it before", but this rule feeds to the p*ssification of America, today. Like how teachers can't mark F's in red ink anymore because it might hurt the failing students feelings........ get rid of this garbage or we're all headed to hell in an handbasket.

I just hate the choreographed stuff. A little fist-pumping doesn't hurt.

I just hate the choreographed stuff. A little fist-pumping doesn't hurt.

That's pretty much how I feel as well.

If a high school baseball player hits a game winning walk off home run in the state championship game, should he get called out if he dares to raise his arms as the ball goes over the fence?

That's pretty much how I feel as well.

If a high school baseball player hits a game winning walk off home run in the state championship game, should he get called out if he dares to raise his arms as the ball goes over the fence?

I did laugh when the refs flagged that goofball Steve Johnson for the fake injury celebration a week or so ago. I'm a bit of a fascist when it comes to the pro celebrations, but I might have just tossed him period.

Guy is a friggin' d-bag. That may have been the same game when be dropped two big balls against the Jets and cost the Bills a chance to tie.

The LSU punter and this kid are completely different. That one was closer to taunting than this was. If pumping your fist in the air is terrible sportsmanship, could you possible imagine the amount of flags that would be thrown? Even the Bud Grantiest of all players, pump their fist and display a little emotion.

Do it when you get in the endzone. I know the two were completely different. I said that in my post. I said, I would not have thrown it on the kid. But I won't complain about it. I can assure you that kid won't celebrate prematurely again. Maybe in 10 years we won't have any more idiots tossing the ball to the ref before they cross the goal line.

Why is a simple celebration okay right after a player crosses the goal line but not okay in this situation? He wasn't taunting anyone, and it wasn't an over-the-top celebration. If you allow a player who just scored a TD to put his hand in the air celebrating, then I don't see the issue with what he did. I guarantee in this game and many others like it, there were many guys getting up celebrating after a sack, big hit, or big play.

^LIBERAL^?!

On my HS team our coach would have never stood for pre-endzone celebration or any kind of celebration for that matter, "act like you've done it before", but this rule feeds to the p*ssification of America, today. Like how teachers can't mark F's in red ink anymore because it might hurt the failing students feelings........ get rid of this garbage or we're all headed to hell in an handbasket.

You know I have voted Republican in every election of my life. But in the last 3 years people making garbage comments accusing you of being a liberal if you believe in any class or courtesy at all have me sitting as an undecided despite how much I dislike much of the democratic platform.

I would guess you are the exact type of person that has driven me from being a republican fundraiser and volunteer 10 years ago from being an undecided for the upcoming election. Seriously lighten up a bit. Not everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

Sorry folks that was off topic

Why is a simple celebration okay right after a player crosses the goal line but not okay in this situation? He wasn't taunting anyone, and it wasn't an over-the-top celebration. If you allow a player who just scored a TD to put his hand in the air celebrating, then I don't see the issue with what he did. I guarantee in this game and many others like it, there were many guys getting up celebrating after a sack, big hit, or big play.
I have already said I wouldn't have thrown the flag. But I will never have a problem with a ref following the rule as written.
And I actually like the rule. So excuse me if I am not all up in arms over this.

And as opposed to some of you who would hate to see a game decided on an idiot taunting the other team, I would love to see a top ranked team lose because some idiots gets a taunting penalty.

I'd rather have the play on the field decide the game unless something egregious happens. This was simply not egregious (IMO). If the kid had taunted whatsoever, it's a different story.

You know I have voted Republican in every election of my life. But in the last 3 years people making garbage comments accusing you of being a liberal if you believe in any class or courtesy at all have me sitting as an undecided despite how much I dislike much of the democratic platform.

I would guess you are the exact type of person that has driven me from being a republican fundraiser and volunteer 10 years ago from being an undecided for the upcoming election. Seriously lighten up a bit. Not everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

Sorry folks that was off topic

Yeah, I don't get the political ramifications of any opinion on this subject.

Disagree all you want, it wasn't taunting. Excessive celebration, perhaps, but not taunting. If he was raising his fist in the face of the defenders, then it would be taunting.

Disagree all you want, it wasn't taunting. Excessive celebration, perhaps, but not taunting. If he was raising his fist in the face of the defenders, then it would be taunting.
Did you miss the guy 3 yards to his left that he was running away from? He was taunting.

Rose-

Sorry to say it, but you are way off your rocker on this one. No chance, no how, no way that was taunting. That was a kid running for the go ahead TD in the 4th quarter of a state championship game and being excited about it.

No different than the baseball example earlier in this thread. How about a recent Basketball equivalent...when Rodney Williams threw down that 360 against USC was that necessary? Was it taunting?

I'd rather have the play on the field decide the game unless something egregious happens. This was simply not egregious (IMO). If the kid had taunted whatsoever, it's a different story.
It's in the rule's best interest to be strictly enforced because once you start allowing exceptions, then you've introduced a gray area and created problems for youself in the future. Then the ref's intrepetation comes into play, and that's when the real frustrations start.

Personally, I do not see what is so diffcult about holding your celebration until you cross the goal line. It's not that difficult. I'm sure the kid knew the rule and he didn't follow it so why the shock?

Rose-

Sorry to say it, but you are way off your rocker on this one. No chance, no how, no way that was taunting. That was a kid running for the go ahead TD in the 4th quarter of a state championship game and being excited about it.

No different than the baseball example earlier in this thread. How about a recent Basketball equivalent...when Rodney Williams threw down that 360 against USC was that necessary? Was it taunting?

Good point.

He raised his had for a second and put it back down. That is not taunting and it is arguable whether it is even a premature celebration. I thought the worst part was the sanctamonious quote from the winning coach who described it as, "a great call." He and Rosemountain probably have dinner reservations this weekend.

It's in the rule's best interest to be strictly enforced because once you start allowing exceptions, then you've introduced a gray area and created problems for youself in the future. Then the ref's intrepetation comes into play, and that's when the real frustrations start.

Personally, I do not see what is so diffcult about holding your celebration until you cross the goal line. It's not that difficult. I'm sure the kid knew the rule and he didn't follow it so why the shock?

I agree with you, that's why I don't like the rule. For it not to be a burden, it would need to be strictly construed. I don't think strict construction of this rule is a good thing for football. I'd much rather have a kid pump his fist when he makes the biggest play of his life than have a state championship game decided by something other than the play on the field. The official is in a tough situation. He should have used common sense and kept his flag in his pocket at that instance, but he was right by the letter of the law. So my blame is on the rule more than the official.

If the rule never existed, I would have been shocked if the official would have thrown a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't find anything in his conduct to have been unsportsmanlike in any manner (I think this is where the disagreement lies).

There isn't anything that hard about it but it you could make a lot of rules for the simple fact that they could be followed. You could make a rule that players can't high 5 teammates on the sidelines if you really wanted to. The ability for a person to follow a rule doesn't (on it's own) bring any sort of validity to that rule.

For me, I just see so many areas in a football game where the best most sportsman of players make little displays of emotion. If you watch a football game you see a ton of displays of emotion, before, during and after the plays that are simply accepted parts of the game. The problem lies when those displays carry on too far. I don't think this is one of those circumstances.

I can't stand the wording "any attempt to draw attention to yourself." Look at all these Michigan St. players, all drawing attention to themselves and stuff:

How egregious! #83 clearly extends the ball in celebration while still on the field of play. And how about #77 and #4 behind the play. They certainly drew my attention with their arm raising antics! And during the course of play, no less! And how about the holder, after making the biggest play of his life, celebrating like Chuck Lidell after a knockout.

This play, by rule, should not stand. Raising the ball is an attempt to draw attention to yourself. As is, apparently, a fist pump or other celebratory antics like the guys behind the play.

It's a terrible, terrible rule. It's one thing to try to prevent DeSean Jackson-like celebrations. It's a completely different thing to punish emotion and enthusiasm like that displayed by the QB from the story or by the Michigan State players.

Top Bottom