The Marching Band needs our help.

hopefully people can be "big enough" to not let the way one person (who is only one of many members of the U of M marching band and pep bands) approached and worded the topic be the sole reason to ignore the real need the U of M marching band and pep bands have. they need our help regardless of how it may have come off to some on here with his post about it. don't be petty just because of something one person wrote or how they wrote it.
Actually, In IT for the Sex and I are in cohoots. Sort of a good cop/bad cop thing. We're working a long con. :)

Comments on this thread are likely inconsequential to anyone's donation decision. I just hope IT doesn't use the same rhetoric when speaking with 3M and Target.

alright buddy, we get it. move on already.

Highwayman needs to calm his nerves. Maybe a dirty magazine and a box of tissues would help calm his frazzled mind.

OP, I'd like to help the marching band, but I'd also like to know that the organization soliciting funds is a registered nonprofit and not some goony scam.

Highwayman needs to calm his nerves. Maybe a dirty magazine and a box of tissues would help calm his frazzled mind.

OP, I'd like to help the marching band, but I'd also like to know that the organization soliciting funds is a registered nonprofit and not some goony scam.

It is a registered 501(c)(3), which you can find in the tax records (UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA BAND ALUMNI SOCIETY, EIN: 275269079) here: http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/charitablestats/article/0,,id=97186,00.html

To all Alums, Supporters, Boosters of the Marching Band and other Bands at the UMN

Today is signing day and there are certainly a number of “talkers” in and around Gopher Hole today. However, I must respond to this thread given the tone of the conversation and the fact that I was named in the message. The passion displayed in Gopher Hole forums is clear and strong. However, we can accomplish great things by working together and staying positively focused on our mutual goals – supporting our great University.

Personally, I am passionate that the bands at Minnesota engage more with future students, current students, alumni, friends, and supporters. While I am most passionate about the travel of the Marching Band to away football games, I also very much support the ability of other bands at Minnesota to engage with the community. Additionally, I am passionate about supporting the future of the Marching Band through endowment. These are the reasons I am involved with the campaign as described and linked to previously in this thread.

If you agree with the points above, I encourage you to donate at www.skiumah.org and discuss it with your social network. If you do not agree with the points above, find something else you are passionate about at Minnesota and build or support that.

With all that said a few points to note.
1) As an alumnus, I appreciate all of the sources which have funded the Marching Band over time. Thanks to Athletics, the Foundation, School of Music, the President’s office, Individuals, and everyone else.
2) Are things truly dire from a funding perspective? I don’t know. I would say that there is an uncomfortable level of uncertainly. Regardless of the financial situation, I believe that endowing the Marching Band’s future is the right way to go and one I am personally committed to.
3) What about Professor Myers? I have not met Professor Myers yet, but plan to do so in the near future so that we may work together on our vision of engaging our communities with excellent music around the state. Everyone can and should be a partner in this campaign.
4) Should the Marching Band be a part of the Athletic Department? This is out of scope for our campaign. We can speculate, and talk, or quite simply we can take one step at a time and build toward the future regardless of the answer to this question.

I hope this provides some clarity to people and that you can support this initiative through donation or word of mouth by sharing our Engagement and Excellence Campaign at www.skiumah.org. If you have specific questions about the Engagement and Excellence Campaign, please contact our Campaign co-chair, Matt Clark @ [email protected] for further information.

All the while, I am determined that the University of Minnesota Band Alumni Society (UMBAS) shall remain an organization that achieves the following for all band alumni across generations and majors.
1) Gives back to the bands with time, talent, and money
2) Coordinates playing opportunities
3) Provides social events

Ski-U-Mah & Go Gophers!

Rob Atkinson
2012 President
University of Minnesota Band Alumni Society

bump. great follow up post by rob atkinson, the U of M band alumni society president. if you care about the U of M marching band and pep bands, then focus on what he has said here. and don't dwell on how one person (the OP) may have phrased the issue earlier in the thread.

Top Bottom