The local media stinks (nevermind).

goldenboy

Reaction score
Gotta love that the Minneapolis Star Tribune, in its sports section bowl recap, omitted the Guarantee Rate Bowl.

Attachments

• bowls.jpg
    bowls.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 48

Is this in reference to something else? Because the Gophers game is listed on the attached image.

But yeah, our local sports media leaves a lot to be desired. Outside of Chip there is not a ton to like from the local sports media scene.

My bad. Just read through the big list by date and didn't see the B1G bowls at the top.
Need more coffee.

on the media - my general impression is that a lot of the TC columnists and talk-shot hosts tend to be on the snarky and sarcastic side - Barreiro, Reusse, Souhan, Sansevere, etc.

and -whether they would admit it or not - my gut feeling is that they actually prefer it when the local teams are struggling or have issues, because that "allows" them to be negative, cynical, etc. from their point of view, it's more "fun" to rip a bad team than to praise a good team.

and in that sense, a bad Gopher team is more fun for them to cover than a good Gopher team.

on the media - my general impression is that a lot of the TC columnists and talk-shot hosts tend to be on the snarky and sarcastic side - Barreiro, Reusse, Souhan, Sansevere, etc.

and -whether they would admit it or not - my gut feeling is that they actually prefer it when the local teams are struggling or have issues, because that "allows" them to be negative, cynical, etc. from their point of view, it's more "fun" to rip a bad team than to praise a good team.

and in that sense, a bad Gopher team is more fun for them to cover than a good Gopher team.
I wonder how much of that developed out of being a counter balance to Sid being such a homer for all those years.

I only wish Reusse's adoration for amateur athletes in the state of Minnesota (townball teams, old high-school sports legends, etc.) carried over to the amateurs and their teams that play at the University of Minnesota.

My bad. Just read through the big list by date and didn't see the B1G bowls at the top.
Need more coffee.
LOL - Man, you are a true Gopher fan if you are wired to expect the worst out of our local rags.

Really? So, it is more fun to have a job with a lousy sports team as opposed to a winning formula? There are many great and positive stories that can be shared about the players etc. In addition, I'm sure there are funny things that take place during the course of the year that could be shared. Says a lot about a person who prefers to go down the negative road all the time. I'd tire quickly being around a negative person for that matter.

I only wish Reusse's adoration for amateur athletes in the state of Minnesota (townball teams, old high-school sports legends, etc.) carried over to the amateurs and their teams that play at the University of Minnesota.
He does have great adoration for the Gopher Volleyball team.

Gotta love that the Minneapolis Star Tribune, in its sports section bowl recap, omitted the Guarantee Rate Bowl.
Recruits will notice this and if they don't, schools competing for them will point it out. The local sports media have so much to cover and the Gophers FB aren't the highest priority. Not the case in Iowa City, Ames, Madison, Lincoln, etc.

He does have great adoration for the Gopher Volleyball team.

You're right, he does. And I say this with all due respect as a 4-year Gopher VB season ticket holder that truly enjoys watching them at The Pav,...would he be as kind to any of the men's programs if their teams were continually one of the top ranked squads in the country yet continue to finish the season without an NCAA championship?

I don't dare ask my wife this because anything not Gopher volleyball is just a bunch of dumb jocks running around with giant egos and no desire to go to class who only want to "play in the pros". Then I'll laugh because "play in the pros" (her words) sounds so weird when you're not ten years old and its not 1978, and then she'll ask me about my college career, and then I'll say I didn't have one, and then she'll make some kind of face that says "correct" and then tell me to go downstairs and get some beans out of the freezer.

Recruits will notice this and if they don't, schools competing for them will point it out. The local sports media have so much to cover and the Gophers FB aren't the highest priority. Not the case in Iowa City, Ames, Madison, Lincoln, etc.
No, they won't. Because nobody that age reads newspapers or watches the news.

Except, the STrib DIDN'T leave it out.

Except, the STrib DIDN'T leave it out.
I didn't say the Strib left the Gophers out. I wrote that the Gopher FB is not their highest priority to cover in contrast with schools that don't compete for attention with a handful of pro teams in their market.

And it isnt 1965 no one cares about the local media anymore. Players post their own highlights and most schools do as well.

Top Bottom