"The list"

Indiana Gopher

Indiana Gopher
Reaction score
So the way I figure we are about 15 days away from naming our new coach. I just have a feeling that the new coach will be named early in the week after our last game and before Thanksgiving. So, with 15 days remaining, I thought I'd try and make a list of the 15 names getting the most mention as our new head football coach. Here goes... (coaches are listed in order of my preference)

1. Gary Patterson
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Chris Peterson
4. Kevin Sumlin
5. Dan Mullen
6. Randy Edsall
7. Troy Calhoun
8. Ken Niumatololo
9. Herman Edwards
10. Mike Bellotti
11. Mike Leach
12. Marc Trestman
13. Randy Shannon
14. Phil Fulmer
15. Dan McCarney

Thoughts?

So the way I figure we are about 15 days away from naming our new coach. I just have a feeling that the new coach will be named early in the week after our last game and before Thanksgiving. So, with 15 days remaining, I thought I'd try and make a list of the 15 names getting the most mention as our new head football coach. Here goes... (coaches are listed in order of my preference)

1. Gary Patterson

4. Kevin Sumlin
5. Dan Mullen
6. Randy Edsall
7. Troy Calhoun
8. Ken Niumatololo

Thoughts?

This is what the list looks like now. I'd love Harbaugh, i just don't see it happenning. Not sure about patterson, but we know he has had interest in the past. I'd put Brady Hoke on the list too.

With Several Weeks To Go That's A Long List

Shouldn't it be narrowing down by now with a few prime candidates as targets?

sbLookAtLongList.jpg

It probably has, but would be a major concern if we learned about it.

Pretty good list, I would shift Sumlin below Niumatololo and Edsal below Sumlin.

1. Gary Patterson
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Chris Peterson
4. Kevin Sumlin
5. Dan Mullen
6. Randy Edsall
7. Troy Calhoun
8. Ken Niumatololo
9. Herman Edwards
10. Mike Bellotti
11. Mike Leach
12. Marc Trestman
13. Randy Shannon
14. Phil Fulmer
15. Dan McCarney

Thoughts?

I'd say there's a good chance our new coach is in there somewhere. But if you had put together a list of 15 names after Monson got S-canned, Tubby Smith wouldn't have been on there. Then again, if you had done a similar exercise after Mason got the heave-ho, neither would have Brewster.

I think you can scratch off #'s 1-3, 11 (boo), and 14. If its # 9 or 12 I'd have to think twice about renewing my season tix.

BTW, you might want to look at a calendar regarding your time window. Either you've got the wrong Saturday for the Iowa game (11/20 is a bye), or your family is gonna show up at Grandmama's on the wrong Thursday for Turkey dinner (we've got beaner-wieners, dear). I do agree with you that the week after T-day is the most likely date for naming a coach. I suspect interviews start the week of the 15th.

Why isn't Al Golden on that list? I'm thinking they should go all in for Patterson at this point.

So the way I figure we are about 15 days away from naming our new coach. I just have a feeling that the new coach will be named early in the week after our last game and before Thanksgiving.

I think your timeline is off a bit. Our last game is AFTER Thanksgiving. The MN-IA game is Nov. 27. So, we're more likely about 22-28 days from naming a new coach.

Thanks for the correction on the timeline. Somehow had in my head that we finished before Thanksgiving. And for those who noted that Al Golden should the on the list, I agree (oversight). He would probably be somewhere in the 7-10 range, just not sure where

Your "list" lost all credibility when you put Sumlin above Mullen....what a joke

Wishfull thinking.

I dont see a current coach taking this job before they are done with their bowl game. If Its Notre Dame you are jumping to timing doesnt matter to much. I just dont see any of these current head coaches jumping from their current team until their season is over other than maybe Sumlin. I am not buying the idea that we will be naming a new coach just after the season is over. It is going to take some time I am hoping we have a coach by Dec 31st.

I'm sure there are many reasons for the timing of Brewster's firing, but I would think the biggest advantage of firing a coach mid-season is it allows you to approach candidates earlier and get one in place sooner for the purposes of recruiting. It also allows you to get a jump over all of the other schools who will be looking to fire their coach at the end of the season.

That being said, aren't these advantages negated by going after an established coach, especially one who might have his team in a BCS bowl? As an example, I don't thing there is any way Harbaugh comes to Minnesota, but I certainly can't see him accepting the job until after Stanford plays in a bowl, which would probably mean early January. At that point, he would already be significantly behind in recruiting.

By this reasoning, I think the U is after an out of work coach (ie, Bellotti) or one who can be named the week after Thanksgiving (? Sumlin).

I'm sure there are many reasons for the timing of Brewster's firing, but I would think the biggest advantage of firing a coach mid-season is it allows you to approach candidates earlier and get one in place sooner for the purposes of recruiting. It also allows you to get a jump over all of the other schools who will be looking to fire their coach at the end of the season.

That being said, aren't these advantages negated by going after an established coach, especially one who might have his team in a BCS bowl? As an example, I don't thing there is any way Harbaugh comes to Minnesota, but I certainly can't see him accepting the job until after Stanford plays in a bowl, which would probably mean early January. At that point, he would already be significantly behind in recruiting.

By this reasoning, I think the U is after an out of work coach (ie, Bellotti) or one who can be named the week after Thanksgiving (? Sumlin).

I generally agree but would qualify it in one way. A coach of a big time program might be willing to leave early or serve double duty if his program is having an off year. An example would be Brent Venables at Oklahoma. Once OK il removed from the hunt for a BCS bowl, nobody would fault him for leaving. Same would be true for Harbaugh if he dropped two more games (they won't).

Herm Edwards?

I haven't heard a lick about him being interested or us going after him.

I will predict the next head coach isn't even on this list

I still have not given up hope on my dark horse candidate , Mark Richt of Georgia. Also Al Golden is a defensive guy and he and Belotti are at the top my my list.
These are mine :

Richt
Golden
Belotti
Mullen
Sumlin
Fulmer

Pure speculation on my part:

Fulmer and Leach have, in all likelihood, been very politely told by someone (Dungy?) that they are not going to be considered, and that the U is going to go a different direction, and they may want to frame all of their public discussion of the opening at Minnesota as though it is a very good opportunity for someone, just not for themselves.

Good point, Scools12

I will predict the next head coach isn't even on this list

I'd be very surprised if Maturi has found anyone yet - since he's given signals that some of the big names have shown little interest to date. Harbaugh and Patterson may be out of reach. And I checked Hawkins' record at Boise - it was pheneomenal, yet he has flopped at Colorado. How does that reflect on Petersen?

If Golden, Sumlin, Shannon and some of the others had 10, 12 years of experience, had won some conference championships and gone to some big time bowls, I'd be for any of them. But they haven't.

I just hope it's an experienced guy with a winning record - someone like Bellotti, Richt, or even Fulmer. We're beyond the point where we can take a flier with a less experienced head coach or assistant.

4 through 8 on your list are the only possibilities.. no way we get 1,2 or 3

Certain guys are simply not a possibility because I say so. No need to ask them.

I don't know what myself and many will do once the decision is made.

Thinking of scenarios and looking for rumors fill up half my day at work. Yes I am productive.

It looks like we'll all be able to occupy our time on this board for a good three to four more weeks. Don't despair though. After that, we'll have all the news about assistants, who's staying and who's transfering, what commitments we're keeping and new recruits we're going after. That should keep us all busy for a while.

My reality AND my dream preference, and yuk coaches

Here's my preference based on what I believe is reality. No dig at your list, as my dream list follows.

My preference based on reality:
1. Al Golden (he's done an amazing job, I'm just hoping Penn State doesn't get to him first)
2. Troy Calhoun (this is probably the kind of candidate we'll end up with. Not bad, not terribly exciting. But hopefully will surprise us and make us more than competitive)
3. Mike Bellotti (I sort of feel like he's too old, my preference is someone early to mid 40's. But jeez, it's Mike Bellotti, you can't really deny him if he wants the job)
4. Ken Niumatololo (i love the way this guy runs the ball, and well, he's been pretty successful)
5. Brady Hoke (I think this guy definitely has the goods, and if he walked into a Notre Dame situation he would do really well. It might take him a while to turn this mess around, and i just don't know if he has that much in him). Yeah, we are a much bigger challenge than Notre Dame.

My preference based on dreaming
1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Gary Patterson
3. Dan Mullen
4. Chris Peterson

Yuk, please don't hire any of these guys
1. Kevin Sumlin - This guy is a poser
2. Dan McCarney - ugh
3. Marc Trestman - ugh
4. Randy Shannon - if this is the best he can do at Miami, just think how bad it will be here
5. Phil Fulmer - this is what i mean about too old
6. Herman Edwards - huh, seriously, i don't care how much head coaching experience he has, it would be like Tim Brewster but he has experience, how bad is that
7. Randy Edsall - This guy would be Glen Mason II, and we deserve A LOT more than that.

Top Bottom