The "Kent Kitzmann" game

restovich

Reaction score
Playing the Illini always reminds me of the 1977 year. Best described as the "Kent Kitzmann game" when the Gophers ran him up, down, and through the Illini. Because Cal Stoll felt that the Illini could not counter him/stop him. And here is the Wikipedia entry:

Kent Kitzmann is a former fullback with the Minnesota Golden Gophers from 1975–1978. Kitzmann starred as a running back at Rochester John Marshall in High School, leading the Rockets to the Class AA state football championships in both 1973 and 1974.[1][2] He also excelled in the shot put, heaving one of the longest throws in state high school history while as a senior at John Marshall in 1975.[3] He was recruited to Minnesota to play for Cal Stoll and in 1976 and 1977 he led the Gophers in rushing both years. Kitzmann’s finest hour on the gridiron came in a game against Illinois in 1977 at Champaign’s Memorial Stadium. When he carried the ball a Big Ten record 57 times for an astounding 266 yards in a 21–0 victory over the Illini,[4] helping the Gophers to virtually secure their first bowl invitation in fifteen years.

Playing the Illini always reminds me of the 1977 year. Best described as the "Kent Kitzmann game" when the Gophers ran him up, down, and through the Illini. Because Cal Stoll felt that the Illini could not counter him/stop him. And here is the Wikipedia entry:

Kent Kitzmann is a former fullback with the Minnesota Golden Gophers from 1975–1978. Kitzmann starred as a running back at Rochester John Marshall in High School, leading the Rockets to the Class AA state football championships in both 1973 and 1974.[1][2] He also excelled in the shot put, heaving one of the longest throws in state high school history while as a senior at John Marshall in 1975.[3] He was recruited to Minnesota to play for Cal Stoll and in 1976 and 1977 he led the Gophers in rushing both years. Kitzmann’s finest hour on the gridiron came in a game against Illinois in 1977 at Champaign’s Memorial Stadium. When he carried the ball a Big Ten record 57 times for an astounding 266 yards in a 21–0 victory over the Illini,[4] helping the Gophers to virtually secure their first bowl invitation in fifteen years.
I listened to it as a little kid! I remember it well.

57 carries... wow.

Obviously, this was before the existence of the internet, and with it the corresponding current prevalence of amateur offensive coordinators.

Imagine the posts here on Gopher Hole if JoJo Nubin were to carry the ball 57 times for 266 yards, and the Gophers were to win 21-0 this Saturday against Illinois!

I wonder what Chip Scoggins would have to say...

Remember the game well. Kitzmann played a position, fullback, that has almost disappeared from the modern football lexicon because of the rules changes over the years that favor the passing game. Sometimes see a two-back backfield (“I” formation), but not often.

Last edited:

That was a fun season - beating both teams that would go on to play in the Rose Bowl (Washington and then #1 Michigan), beating UCLA, beating Bucky, the Kitzmann game, and getting the first bowl bid in 16 years (when there weren’t nearly the number of bowl games there are now). It would be another 22 years before going to another bowl game.

That was a fun season - beating both teams that would go on to play in the Rose Bowl (Washington and then #1 Michigan), beating UCLA, beating Bucky, the Kitzmann game, and getting the first bowl bid in 16 years (when there weren’t nearly the number of bowl games there are now). It would be another 22 years before going to another bowl game.
Well. Actually 8 years. Thanks to Holtz. 85 and 86 🏈🙌🏻

Well. Actually 8 years. Thanks to Holtz. 85 and 86 🏈🙌🏻

Holtz coached the '85 team until the end of the regular season. He then resigned to go to Notre Dame. Gutekunst took over, and coached the Gophers to a victory over Clemson in the Independence Bowl.

Gutekunst then coached the '86 team, and remained head coach through the '91 season.

Top Bottom