The Jim Rome Show: P.J. Fleck on Luke Fickell Poaching Paul Haynes from Minnesota; Fleck says his job is to develop, talks teaching elementary school

The job of any good manager/leader is to help their people develop and grow. Sometimes that means they go to a competing business.

I've witnessed situations where managers have blocked people from advancing. It did more damage than good, and the manager that attempted to hoard talent inevitably left the organization within a couple of years, often with some "encouragement" from the company. Word gets out on people like that, it causes morale issues with current staff and they end up unable to attract new talent. Not a winning combination.

This is PJ’s MO when coaches leave. Play it off and act like that was always the plan. Like he was in on it the whole time.

This is PJ’s MO when coaches leave. Play it off and act like that was always the plan. Like he was in on it the whole time.
Agree. I support the program and PJ greatly… but I get tired of the idea that he is finding, cultivating, raising up, and nurturing these great leaders and then sending them out.

Agree. I support the program and PJ greatly… but I get tired of the idea that he is finding, cultivating, raising up, and nurturing these great leaders and then sending them out.

Seriously, what else is he supposed to say?

I suppose he could say publicly "that disloyal piece of shit needs to eat a dick and get the phuck out! Good riddance for that piece of trash m'fer!"

Or he could do what he does.

I suppose he could say publicly "that disloyal piece of shit needs to eat a dick and get the phuck out! Good riddance for that piece of trash m'fer!"

Both of you can be right. You both are.

I mean, on the other hand, when a player leaves, PJ acts like you just insulted his wife. But whatever!

I mean, on the other hand, when a player leaves, PJ acts like you just insulted his wife. But whatever!
Am I missing something? What has he publicly said about a player that left, Bucky Irving for example? What are basing this comment on because it sounds very speculative to me?

Credit PJ, and what I appreciate about his approach in situations like this, he ALWAYS takes the high road. I would never expect him to trash anyone for any reason. But Brick Haley is a good example for my previous statement… Haley was with the gophers for a year. I don’t think PJ can take credit for raising and then sending him out.

Am I missing something? What has he publicly said about a player that left, Bucky Irving for example? What are basing this comment on because it sounds very speculative to me?
Dixon. A guy who busted his ass for Fleck and the Gophers program, contributed significantly to the defense this season, decided to look for more playing time elsewhere, and the first presser immediately after that Fleck won't even say his name, as if he never was here.

A bit distasteful to cast a guy aside like that. My opinion, worth not much.

It'd be more entertaining that way.

He might have said the water in the bilge is rising and the pumps are failing but the Good Ship Lolly Pop will never sink.

Dixon. A guy who busted his ass for Fleck and the Gophers program, contributed significantly to the defense this season, decided to look for more playing time elsewhere, and the first presser immediately after that Fleck won't even say his name, as if he never was here.

Yeah, I think you're being overly sensitive!

PJ is way ahead of the curve on the portal and the future of college football. He understands both players and coaches will move around to try and better themselves, that’s how the game is. Many college football teams are now employing the equivalent of an NFL GM to manage the ins and outs of roster movements and PJ was early on that position. He has to create opportunities for guys so that when the leave, they speak well of him and the University of Minnesota.

PJ is way ahead of the curve on the portal and the future of college football. He understands both players and coaches will move around to try and better themselves, that’s how the game is. Many college football teams are now employing the equivalent of an NFL GM to manage the ins and outs of roster movements and PJ was early on that position. He has to create opportunities for guys so that when the leave, they speak well of him and the University of Minnesota.
I also think his approach will stand the test of the Portal times. He truly takes guys who want to be Gophers and doesn't seem to stretch for players when recruiting. He only brings in guys to seemingly fill needs in the portal.

Interesting to see the portal effect on B1G Conference. (Average of 9 per team)

Teams that did not change HC.

Maryland 17
Indiana 16
Iowa 11
Michigan State 9
MN 9
Rutgers 9
Michigan 8
Northwestern 7
Penn State 6
Illinois 5
tOSU 4

NEW COACH
Nebraska 11
Wisconsin 9
Purdue 8

What do you want him to say? Why highlight a player deciding to leave? It’s hardly casting him aside. Dixon chose to leave in his own, He doesn’t need or deserve praise on the way out. He didn’t graduate or leave for the pros, he left the team presumably due to decisions made by the coaches, now you want them to applaud him?

PJ is sending all these coaches to rivals for a very good reason they are infiltrating our competition! They will learn everything they can and then come back to Minnesota! BWAHHAHA! Diabolical plan PJ!

SKI U MAH!!
GO GOPHERS!

How long was Fleck a school teacher for? I always thought it was a short stint but I could be wrong as this made it sound like it may have been longer.

If he was talking about Burns here I would get it otherwise, this just makes him look stupid. Nobody is buying his stick relative to these lateral moves. PJ has had a couple of assistants get promotions and leave but he really has had a very poor track record of choosing coaches that will hopefully stick around for a while. That’s not great for the players I say again that PJ obviously matters but these kids spend 90% of their time with their position, peers and position coaches, either in meetings or in segments within practice.

Of course then there's the I-O-W-A model where certain staff never leave. We can ask those fans how that's goin'...

If he was talking about Burns here I would get it otherwise, this just makes him look stupid. Nobody is buying his stick relative to these lateral moves. PJ has had a couple of assistants get promotions and leave but he really has had a very poor track record of choosing coaches that will hopefully stick around for a while. That’s not great for the players I say again that PJ obviously matters but these kids spend 90% of their time with their position, peers and position coaches, either in meetings or in segments within practice.
Literally Jim Rome is buying him and putting him on his show?

What do you want him to say? Why highlight a player deciding to leave? It’s hardly casting him aside. Dixon chose to leave in his own, He doesn’t need or deserve praise on the way out. He didn’t graduate or leave for the pros, he left the team presumably due to decisions made by the coaches, now you want them to applaud him?
There's always a spectrum. You're talking about one (absurd) end of it, and Fleck went much more towards the other end. What about somewhere in the middle?

Watch this:

"Michael was a tremendous player for the 2022 Gophers defense, and he is a tremendous young man. He made a decision for personal reasons to leave our program, and I won't get into those reasons, but I appreciate the effort he gave our program while he was out there, and I wish him well."

Was that so hard? :cautious:

There's always a spectrum. You're talking about one (absurd) end of it, and Fleck went much more towards the other end. What about somewhere in the middle?

Watch this:

"Michael was a tremendous player for the 2022 Gophers defense, and he is a tremendous young man. He made a decision for personal reasons to leave our program, and I won't get into those reasons, but I appreciate the effort he gave our program while he was out there, and I wish him well."

Was that so hard? :cautious:
Ok when you are head coach you can talk up your players that leave. Doesn’t bother me one bit that Fleck basically shrugs them off, I actually prefer it.

Ok when you are head coach you can talk up your players that leave. Doesn’t bother me one bit that Fleck basically shrugs them off, I actually prefer it.
"Talk up"

Why do you not want players "talked up"? Isn't that good for recruits to see that their coach cares about them, as a person, beyond just using them for football?

"Talk up"

Why do you not want players "talked up"? Isn't that good for recruits to see that their coach cares about them, as a person, beyond just using them for football?
I doubt it moves the needle for recruits. Zero reason to highlight transferring players any more than necessary. Doesn’t show that he doesn’t care about them, but he doesn’t need to thank them for a year or two of service when he probably would’ve liked to have used the scholarship on a player that was committed for four or five.

Top Bottom