The Jet Sweep

minibeaver

Reaction score
Man where has that thing been all year?!! It worked wonders yesterday. For the X and O guys, what was the reason for success? Something we did or something they did? If we can do that the rest of the year man it will be hard to stop us.

It looked like we changed the blocking a bit on it and the we ran the QB more.

I am not a X's and O's guy, but to me it looked like the Gophers took what iowa gave them. They were cheating there safeties up to stop Cobb. That made them a little soft on the outside. Credit Cobb and the receivers for some very good blocking out there also.

Iowa basically gave it to us it seemed like. They started to tighten up in the 2nd half, but Maye was ripping off 8-10 yard runs every time early on. I really liked how we used the jet sweep to complement other parts of the run game. It sprung Mitch free on some runs and Cobb as well. The run game was a thing of beauty yesterday. We almost hit 300 yards without overworking Cobb.

I am not a X's and O's guy, but to me it looked like the Gophers took what iowa gave them. They were cheating there safeties up to stop Cobb. That made them a little soft on the outside. Credit Cobb and the receivers for some very good blocking out there also.

Yeah, your probably right. Have to imagine though that other teams we have faced this year did the same thing. That is probably part of it though.
I saw Cobb lay out for a block on one. Looked awesome.

Iowa fans before the game were saying if we can get to the outside, we would have success. I guess this isn't something new against their defense.

I do have to say the blocking on the outside was great, I remember Cobb having several good blocks.

Iowa fans before the game were saying if we can get to the outside, we would have success. I guess this isn't something new against their defense.

I do have to say the blocking on the outside was great, I remember Cobb having several good blocks.

Cobb was outstanding in his blocking scheme.

Possible that they have one of the slower D's in the league and that's why we were able to spread it like we did. Gotta figure we will do it again next week, hopefully with the same success

According to my sources, unlike other teams, Iowa was determined to stop it with their DE and OLB. The DE couldn't get off the block in time to catch KJ and Cobb (as GII & Dr.Don pointed out) was owning the OLB. I haven't rewatched the game to verify this - but if accurate it would be the first team that didn't use CB and/or S to take this away. Hell Limey ran it 3 straight plays at one time.

Not that anyone on GH would think because we had success with it yesterday that we automatically would have had the same success in earlier or will in later games. We do realize defensive schemes effect results, right?

According to my sources, unlike other teams, Iowa was determined to stop it with their DE and OLB. The DE couldn't get off the block in time to catch KJ and Cobb (as GII & Dr.Don pointed out) was owning the OLB. I haven't rewatched the game to verify this - but if accurate it would be the first team that didn't use CB and/or S to take this away. Hell Limey ran it 3 straight plays at one time.

Not that anyone on GH would think because we had success with it yesterday that we automatically would have had the same success in earlier or will in later games. We do realize defensive schemes effect results, right?

Last question...some of us do.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for. I wanted to think we just came out and executed that much better but I figured it was something their D was doing differently than teams we played earlier in the year.

And yes I understand how that works. I've never been accused of being bright but I have a few brain cells rattlin' around up there ;)

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was looking for. I wanted to think we just came out and executed that much better but I figured it was something their D was doing differently than teams we played earlier in the year.

And yes I understand how that works. I've never been accused of being bright but I have a few brain cells rattlin' around up there ;)

I wasn't accusing you of not getting it. Just poking fun at the general theme of this board over the past weeks in regard to this play. I'm actually shocked I haven't seen a "see, I knew the jet sweep would work" post yet.

I might really cause some unrest and speculate that because Limey didn't force it against other D schemes (better suited to stop it) earlier in the year that Iowa didn't take the threat as serious and that is why they guarded against it much more 'casually' than past opponents. I might, but won't because that would mean Limey is actually pretty smart and I know from reading GH that he cant even tie his own shoes.

I wasn't accusing you of not getting it. Just poking fun at the general theme of this board over the past weeks in regard to this play. I'm actually shocked I haven't seen a "see, I knew the jet sweep would work" post yet.

I might really cause some unrest and speculate that because Limey didn't force it against other D schemes (better suited to stop it) earlier in the year that Iowa didn't take the threat as serious and that is why they guarded against it much more 'casually' than past opponents. I might, but won't because that would mean Limey is actually pretty smart and I know from reading GH that he cant even tie his own shoes.

Tying shoes? That's why velcro was invented.

Ahh, dang sarcasm detector failed me again!

I heard Kill's post game comments driving home, and he said that since Iowa was so big up front, they wanted to get outside more, and get them to run laterally more to tire them out. So all of that is part of the scheme for this game, and we'll see what they can cook up for next week.

During the NW telecast last week, they talked about iowa being tough up the middle on the run but struggled on the edges. This is similar to what Illinois was doing, based on the radio broadcast that is.

Coaches must have noticed and decided to exploit it. Hopefully they can come up with a similar scheme against OSU.

OSU is lighter up front than Iowa and is more athletic so we may see our more traditional up the middle pound attack Saturday.

Need moar flea flickers!!!!

Top Bottom