The Irony is Big Ten has 12 and Big Twelve has 10

GopherFish

Reaction score
Kind of weird how the Big Ten now has 12 and the Big Twelve has 10. I think Big Ten is too established to ever care about reconciling their name to their actual number, but the Big Twelve was once the Big Eight so it seemed reconciliation to actual number was important to them. Since the name Big Ten is taken, maybe they'll be the Central Ten or Big Southwest or kick two teams out and reclaim Big Eight.

In any event, if the conferences names and number of teams stay this way, this should confuse a lot of kids and non-sports fans in the future.

Good to see you Goofer fans can count up there. j/k :D

I wonder if the Pac-10 will do that hidden 11 thing in their logo like we did?

WE? Actually, the number of teams in each conference is reflective of the new hierarchy. SEC, Big Ten, PAC 10, Big 12 and Big LEast.

So, Big Ten shakes the tree and gets NE? At this point, it looks like the Big Ten may have blinked and understimated the B12s resolve.

So, Big Ten shakes the tree and gets NE? At this point, it looks like the Big Ten may have blinked and understimated the B12s resolve.

I'm happy. Nebraska is the team I'd want most from the Big 12 -- they fit best with the makeup/geography of the Big 10. I don't care about TV $$$ or recruiting footprint, though.

Good to see you Goofer fans can count up there. j/k :D

I wonder if the Pac-10 will do that hidden 11 thing in their logo like we did?

...except that the Pac-10 will have 12 (Utah) also when Colorado joins in 2012...

I agree the NE is a good addition for athletics, but the BT could have added NE without 4 months of build up.

The goal was possibly a bigger shake up that would have allowed the BT first pick of more top revenue teams.

I for one, don't think its over yet....

I for one, don't think its over yet....

I think it may be another 5-10 years before the other shoe drops.

In a few years we'll see how NBC feels paying all that money for the rights to show ND play Western Michigan, Nevada and Connecticut.
In a few years we'll see if Texas is still able to exploit a bunch of schools who are losing money for the honor of continuing to be in a conference with them.
In a few years we'll see if Rutgers or Syracuse or UConn has been able to established itself in the New York market.
In a few years we'll see if North Carolina is interested in the Big Ten because the ACC's football powers are headed to the SEC East.

In the meantime, The Big Ten has positioned itself such that the prestige and exposure of the conference should continue to grow, along with revenues.

One thing is certain. Orangebloods covered this whole story exactly the way they were told to cover it. But all along there was a lot more to the story.

The best one that I've heard here in Texas is the Big 2 (UT and OU). That's pretty much the truth too.

Top Bottom