The inability to throw downfield

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
One key area that has held this offense back is their inability to complete more throws down the field. Last night there was some improvement. But it was terrible last year and if they can't get more explosive plays out of the passing game when teams generally stack the box, then it's going to be another bad year offensively.

Since beginning of last year, the team has averaged 6.10 Yds per pass attempt. In 2019 it was 10.2.

The last time this team completed a pass of 40+ yards was Brockington's TD catch against Wisconsin in 2022. I believe Wright had one in that game too. So that's now 15 games in a row without one of 40+.

One key area that has held this offense back is their inability to complete more throws down the field. Last night there was some improvement. But it was terrible last year and if they can't get more explosive plays out of the passing game when teams generally stack the box, then it's going to be another bad year offensively.

Since beginning of last year, the team has averaged 6.10 Yds per pass attempt. In 2019 it was 10.2.

The last time this team completed a pass of 40+ yards was Brockington's TD catch against Wisconsin in 2022. I believe Wright had one in that game too. So that's now 15 games in a row without one of 40+.
The wide receiver talent has been horrendous for years.

I wouldn't say horrendous (Daniel Jackson is very good) but it hasn't been good overall. Add that with poor QB play and predictable/conservative play calling, it results in bad offense.
It's been horrendous.

Game after game after game...........they show the downfield shots and our guys blanketed. There is no separation at all.

It's been horrendous.

Game after game after game...........they show the downfield shots and our guys blanketed. There is no separation at all.
There was a plane in the second half when Driver was running down Field without anybody within 20 yards of him and 16 had gotten happy feet and was running for his life. Now, that happened because the defender tripped, but still…

Feels like they needed to call more short throw plays. NC was getting pressure and Max got sacked too many times. Maybe they were being called and NC was doing a good job preventing them and making Max go through progressions.

There was one play where the NC defender tripped and Driver was wide open downfield, looked like Max spotted this but the pressure got to him and he couldn't take the shot downfield.

Last edited:

Have to be able to throw the ball. Disgusting product to watch and one that leads to losses if you can’t. Way more important than rushing.

Why would any legit WR want to come to MN? What has this program shown in terms of highlighting WR talent?

But that isn’t the biggest issue - biggest issue is scheme. NDSU can pass all over CU and a first round NFL corner. Gophs just refuse to play modern ball and do weird, long developing runs paired with inexplicable play calling.

I was out on Kill and Claeys because of the garbage product they put on the field with an unwillingness and probably inability to do better. Now I feel the same about Fleck.

1. Provide protection for the QB.
2. Complete passes.

3. Throw passes farther.

We weren't doing 1 or 2 very much at all until later in the game....

Last edited:

Some of the down field issues goes on the OLine. I just don't like our pass protection over the years. Even in 2019 there was a lot of run after catch. The QB rarely has time for anything deep.

There was a plane in the second half when Driver was running down Field without anybody within 20 yards of him and 16 had gotten happy feet and was running for his life. Now, that happened because the defender tripped, but still…
I disagree with you about 16 getting happy feet on that play. About the same time the defender is falling down, Brosmer is gonna get sacked if he isn’t moving out of the pocket. Unfortunately, he was scrambling away from that side of the field and just couldn’t see the receiver with the mass of humanity in front of him.

I wouldn't say horrendous (Daniel Jackson is very good) but it hasn't been good overall. Add that with poor QB play and predictable/conservative play calling, it results in bad offense.
Very good is being very generous. DJ9 is an average WR. Ability to separate consistently just isn't there.

Some of the down field issues goes on the OLine. I just don't like our pass protection over the years. Even in 2019 there was a lot of run after catch. The QB rarely has time for anything deep.
You know, this take is spot on. I don’t remember the last time we had an offensive line that excelled in pass protection. Probably have to go all the way back to the Mason years. I’d say we are EXTREMELY poor in this area. Is that a Callahan problem or a type of talent we are signing problem?

The other team is never sending just 4 on the pass rush. The box is always stacked and here they come.

The other team is literally laughing at us trying to throw. The receiver talent is brutal. They come in waves after our qb and never, ever pay for it.

Something just hit me. I don’t recall seeing a single slant pass last night. We are usually good for about 15 of those in a game. I’m not crying about that because I personally hate that play, but interesting that I don’t remember it being thrown even once.

I see things about Brosmer that I like. He made some throws last night that AK couldn’t make at any time last year. His ball also looks much more catchable. I didn’t expect him to come out last night and throw for 250 and 3 TD’s. Would it have been nice? Sure, but I got about what I expected. A QB who has to adjust to this level just a little bit. With his experience I expect that adjustment shouldn’t take long, and I think we saw some of that maturity on the final drive. I think we can win with Brosmer….if PJ will just let his OC bring this offense into modern times just a little bit. Brosmer should throw the ball 30 times in each of the next two games. It would help him develop some trust in his receivers and allow the receivers to develop and mature as well. But there is no fucking way PJ will do that, and that is what annoys me so fucking bad.

You have to take shots to make shots. You aren’t often going to have guys streaking wide open down the field, but you can still throw it to single coverage and let your guys make a play or draw a penalty.

You have to take shots to make shots. You aren’t often going to have guys streaking wide open down the field, but you can still throw it to single coverage and let your guys make a play or draw a penalty.
I agree, and they did that on the final drive. But PJ is just not going to allow that if he has the lead, be it by 3 td’s or 1 point. I’d like to think that at some point he’s going to get out of the offense’s way and let it modernize, but he’s too fucking stubborn.

If he wanted to develop his receivers and let his QB get comfortable and develop a rapport with said receivers, they would throw it 30 times in EACH of the next two games. But all PJ is going to do it bide his time until Taylor returns so he can run it even more.

Last edited:

On the PI call that benefited us ... that pass wasn't likely going to be caught.

I'm not sure that is encouraging to take more shots.

I'd argue the opposite, you need to make passes first ... then stretch the field. UNC seemed to be playing with lots of guys set way back off the line waiting for longer passes. When we went for short quick passes we found more success.

Hit them where they aint.

You know, this take is spot on. I don’t remember the last time we had an offensive line that excelled in pass protection. Probably have to go all the way back to the Mason years. I’d say we are EXTREMELY poor in this area. Is that a Callahan problem or a type of talent we are signing problem?
The Gophers like ponderous road-grader types that promote the running game. Athletic guys with "good feet" are harder to find and rarely choose Minnesota.

Something just hit me. I don’t recall seeing a single slant pass last night. We are usually good for about 15 of those in a game. I’m not crying about that because I personally hate that play, but interesting that I don’t remember it being thrown even once.

I see things about Brosmer that I like. He made some throws last night that AK couldn’t make at any time last year. His ball also looks much more catchable. I didn’t expect him to come out last night and throw for 250 and 3 TD’s. Would it have been nice? Sure, but I got about what I expected. A QB who has to adjust to this level just a little bit. With his experience I expect that adjustment shouldn’t take long, and I think we saw some of that maturity on the final drive. I think we can win with Brosmer….if PJ will just let his OC bring this offense into modern times just a little bit. Brosmer should throw the ball 30 times in each of the next two games. It would help him develop some trust in his receivers and allow the receivers to develop and mature as well. But there is no fucking way PJ will do that, and that is what annoys me so fucking bad.
Yes. When PJ sees an opponent that the Gophers can physically dominate, like in the next two weeks, he will just run the ball 40+ times. These games could be good opportunities to give the pass game chances to improve.

The wide receiver talent has been horrendous for years.
Coaching deficiency? I find it hard to believe these young guys just lack the talent necessary to succeed. Most of them are 3 or 4 star recruits ... they may not be world beaters but can't they learn to run routes and catch footballs? I'm beginning to view the Fleck approach to offensive philosophy with serious questions.

It's a curious stat. 10.2 would be a top 5 team for that stat. Literally going to 7.1 is like 40 spots higher looking at last year. Not sure it really tells us much. It is clear that the quick short pass is there for the taking if Fleck chooses to scheme for it. You need to get defenses to not stack the line to create some time to be able to go down field.

Top Bottom