The Heisman -- Who ya Got?

He won't win, but Russell Wilson likely picked up some votes after Saturday night's game. The successful two-point conversion was one of the best QB plays I've seen in a long time.

1)Mathieu,
2) Luck
3) Ball- would be higher if the Wisconsin SID had not used all their preseason hype on Wilson.
4) Griffin III

1)RGIII
2)Luck
3)Ball
4)Richardson
5) Kellen Moore

I look at it this way, in his team's biggest game of the season vs. Oregon, Luck had his worst game of the season. In two of his biggest vs. TCU and Oklahoma, RGIII led comebacks in the last minutes, and against Oklahoma, seconds of the game. That right there says everything you need to know about this year's Heisman race.

1)RGIII
2)Luck
3)Ball
4)Richardson
5) Kellen Moore

I look at it this way, in his team's biggest game of the season vs. Oregon, Luck had his worst game of the season. In two of his biggest vs. TCU and Oklahoma, RGIII led comebacks in the last minutes, and against Oklahoma, seconds of the game. That right there says everything you need to know about this year's Heisman race.

You could also argue that Baylor's BIGGEST game was against #3 OkSt, where he did throw for 425, rush for 27, and throw a TD... but also 2 interceptions. He was also nowhere to be found in the 3rd/4th quarter in their loss to aTm.

You left out huge games for Stanford against USC and a few other ranked teams (Washington and Notre Dame). Against USC, on the road, he threw for 3 TDs, 1 Int, and ran in another TD, as well as leading a TD drive down the field at the end of regulation to force OT.

They're both very, very good players but in my opinion Luck had better performances all year long.

You could also argue that Baylor's BIGGEST game was against #3 OkSt, where he did throw for 425, rush for 27, and throw a TD... but also 2 interceptions. He was also nowhere to be found in the 3rd/4th quarter in their loss to aTm.

You left out huge games for Stanford against USC and a few other ranked teams (Washington and Notre Dame). Against USC, on the road, he threw for 3 TDs, 1 Int, and ran in another TD, as well as leading a TD drive down the field at the end of regulation to force OT.

They're both very, very good players but in my opinion Luck had better performances all year long.

Fair enough. And I should have done this before, but it becomes more clear to me who should win if we take a look at overall numbers as well. If we really want to look at the stats then, RGIII broke the NCAA record for passing efficiency in a season, had 36 passing TD's to only 6 INT's plus 9 rushing TD's against a tougher schedule. Luck, in contrast, threw for 35 TD's and 9 INT's with 2 rushing TD's. As also has been stated, I really don't think Baylor is any good without RGIII, while I think Stanford is probably still a bowl team.

With all of this said, I think both are very deserving candidates, and I think it really is down to only those two guys. Even if Ball deserves to be in the conversation, I think he gets hurt with having Russell Wilson on his team, as well as having the stigma of being a Wisconsin RB. I'm fine with either Luck or RGIII as both have been great this year, but I just feel that RGIII has been a little better

Mathieu or however the hell you spell his name. LSU's first three touchdowns this past weekend

1. Mathieu takes a punt to the house
2. Mathieu recovers a fumble in Georgia territory
3. Mathieu almost takes it to the house. They score like 2 plays later

Best player on the best team in the nation - almost single handedly winning games from the defensive backfield.

Griffin is awesome, I think he will win it. Luck is the easy choice for the voters. If Bama had beaten LSU, this award would have been Richardson's. Don't really see a RB from Sconnie winning it this year - probably Beilema's fault. Barkley plays for a turd nugget for a coach, so he won't even be considered.

Mathieu is a stud, but he failed a drug test midseason. I think it would be a shame to give someone like that the Heisman. This is straight from the Heisman Trust's front page: The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.

Ball/Richardson (can't pick but I think BOTH are products of the line, system, and tons of carriers against weaker teams, not pure talent and value to team)

Ball's numbers against inferior competition:

UNLV - 10 carries for 64 yards and 1 TD, 2 Rec. 67 yards 1TD
NIU - 20 carries for 91 yards and 2 TD
South Dakota - 15 carries for 89 yards and 2 TDs
Indiana - 14 carries for 142 yards and 3 TDs

In those four blowouts, he had 59 carries (averaged 14.75 per game) and 386 yards (96.5 yards per game).

Other large score differential wins:

Oregon State - 18 for 118 and 2 TDs
Purdue - 20 for 223 and 3 TDs
Minnesota - 23 for 166 and 2 TDs (plus 1 Receiving)

Against the good defenses/teams:

Nebraska - 30 for 151 and 4 TDs
MSU 1 - 18 for 115 and 1 TD (plus 1 receiving)
OSU - 17 for 85 and 1 TD (plus 1 receiving)
Illinois (great run defense) - 38 for 224 and 2 TDs (plus 1 receiving)
PSU - 25 for 156 and 4 TDs
MSU 2 - 27 for 137 and 3 TDs (plus 1 receiving)

Ball got his against good competition. He was limited on carries early against lesser teams. He played well against all the best teams he faced averaging 144 on the ground and 3 TDs in those six games.

His numbers more than make his case.

That said, in an unbiased vote, mine would go to RG3 with Ball a close second. The other three would be far behind those two.

Top Bottom