The great mis-matched maroon color debate: the final word?

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Well, something popped into my head as I was enjoying the scrimmage yesterday. And, it should have ocurred to me a long time ago. Some colors just tend to be funky through film and video. Two colors that tend to be extremely difficult are maroon and purple.

If you think back, most everyone who had spent time viewing the field in person said the colors matched. Most everyone that whined about it (like me) had done so based on pictures.

Back in the stone age, I attended a maroon/gold high school and my wife had attended a purple/gold high school. There are old pictures of her in cheerleading outfits where the sweaters and skirts looked like two completely different shades of purple. Yet in person, they matched just fine. Same with my experience with maroon.

In person, I thought the end zones and center "M" looked fine, and certainly along the lines of the maroon seatback chairs. Yet, I will maintain that on pictures they look like a mis-match.

To make a long story short... I think everything is okay and the "difference" is just due to texture, film, surface, and the reality of maroon.

I too was pleasantly surprised that the maroons were a lot closer in color in person. Everything in the stadium looked amazing.

I should weigh in here....

...I've been one of the doubters.

And now I'm more confused...but comforted.

On TV...still need to find time to watch the HD recording of it...the practice jersey's looked like they matched or were dang close to the field color.

I scanned other pictures from the day...and depending on the camera and angle of the viewing the endzone looked redder or darker maroon like the jersey's and helmets.

I didn't notice it before ...but the M in the center of the field is a match for the locker room. Neither Gold is very bright that I can tell...but I haven't been there yet....so if Schnauzer is on board..then i will be too.

I just don't want to hear ESPN call it out on National TV that they don't match (jersey's and field color). Doesn't sound like I have to worry about that.

Go Gophers! The place looked great on TV...now I can't wait to see it in person, full and loud with Gophers fans beating AF!

SKI-U-MAH!

GM

...I've been one of the doubters.

And now I'm more confused...but comforted.

On TV...still need to find time to watch the HD recording of it...the practice jersey's looked like they matched or were dang close to the field color.

I scanned other pictures from the day...and depending on the camera and angle of the viewing the endzone looked redder or darker maroon like the jersey's and helmets.

I didn't notice it before ...but the M in the center of the field is a match for the locker room. Neither Gold is very bright that I can tell...but I haven't been there yet....so if Schnauzer is on board..then i will be too.

I just don't want to hear ESPN call it out on National TV that they don't match (jersey's and field color). Doesn't sound like I have to worry about that.

Go Gophers! The place looked great on TV...now I can't wait to see it in person, full and loud with Gophers fans beating AF!

SKI-U-MAH!

GM

don't expect that too happen. you have actually been pondering that?! ;)

We took the GLC tour on Thursday and got to walk onto the field. It looked far more reddish down there. However, from our seats, it looked darker. After time, with the sun shining on the field, seats, and trim, everything will wash slightly to the same color.

It should be noted...

that the maroon on this web page is a little lighter than the endzone and much lighter than the jersey's from last season.

I haven't seen this years shade of maroon....unless it is the ones they are using in the photo shoots.

Again...if Schnauzer/LionKing is ok with it...then I will stand down for now...until we get through a real game to see how it looks.

GM

that the maroon on this web page is a little lighter than the endzone and much lighter than the jersey's from last season.

I haven't seen this years shade of maroon....unless it is the ones they are using in the photo shoots.
I would hope they'd wear the current jerseys for the photo shoots!
Again...if Schnauzer/LionKing is ok with it...then I will stand down for now...until we get through a real game to see how it looks.
Nice. ;)

Well, something popped into my head as I was enjoying the scrimmage yesterday. And, it should have ocurred to me a long time ago. Some colors just tend to be funky through film and video. Two colors that tend to be extremely difficult are maroon and purple.

If you think back, most everyone who had spent time viewing the field in person said the colors matched. Most everyone that whined about it (like me) had done so based on pictures.

Back in the stone age, I attended a maroon/gold high school and my wife had attended a purple/gold high school. There are old pictures of her in cheerleading outfits where the sweaters and skirts looked like two completely different shades of purple. Yet in person, they matched just fine. Same with my experience with maroon.

In person, I thought the end zones and center "M" looked fine, and certainly along the lines of the maroon seatback chairs. Yet, I will maintain that on pictures they look like a mis-match.

To make a long story short... I think everything is okay and the "difference" is just due to texture, film, surface, and the reality of maroon.

I equate this to me trying to get my color on my new HDTV perfect. I can't do it, and I am never happy. I know the colors are off, but in all reality they are better than they ever were on my previous TV by 1000. I know in a few weeks I am going to give up this quest, and I will be happy. It is just a new toy which entitles me to be picky when I actually have no reason to be because it is better and as good as it probably ever will be till something new comes out.

You summed it up. Part of my angst with it is...i know the field is more permanent than a real grass field with paint/chalk. hard to tinker with the shade of maroon.

It is new and I know I'm being picky about it.

Seeing it in person will probably help too...

Top Bottom