The gophes will hire

Rosemountian

Reaction score
A guy no one has mentioned on any message board. No local media member has mentioned.

I will tell you who it is after they hire him.
Seriously, everyone thinks they know everything. I am projecting that the hire will be a guy who:
1) Makes the majority of the fanbase feel at ease about who was hired
2) Surprises everybody

I have a name that I am thinking, but I am not even going to say it because I know as much as everyone else throwing out names (this includes the media members).

Ooooooh, I can't wait to see if your right!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK

I'm just as sick of the names being thrown out there too, but no need to use your psychic powers to antagonize us.

Random Name of the Day for me is: Rick Neuheisel

My random name of the day is: Dennis Franchione

STEVE SPURRIER!
He was reportedly frustrated with SC's failure to win the SEC East on his watch, and he only makes 1.75MM. This means it is at least 2% plausible like a lot of the other names.:cheer:

I think they will go FCS

And I don't think it'll be a complete bonehead like Craig bohl.

Larry Coker then. UTSA has no record...

Record: 128-56-2
Record in FBS: 47-17-1
Record in SEC: 30-14-1

Built the Samford program from DIII to FCS.
Took over an Auburn program in crisis.
Clearly still has it 17-3 in his year and a half at N. Alabama
I guess he is not FCS, but divison II

Terry Bowden?
Someone kept bringing up Tommy Bowden who I think is a terrible candidate. I do think Terry Bowden could do a decent job here. It's tough to tell because he was at Auburn ten plus years ago. He did well at Auburn (47-17-1). His North Alabama teams have been good the past few years. It's tough to say how good of a job he's doing down there because that program has done pretty well for awhile now.I don't think he ends up with the job though. Not a bad candidate, however.

I don't even think Terry will get the job. Just pointing out that there are tons of great candidates that people have not even brought up yet.

People always bring up the NDSU coach (who is average at best), but they ignore the UNI coach. Think about how many possibilities there are out there.

That is how you know the local media knows nothing about college football. They throw out Trestman and Bohl, but they don't mention Terry Bowden or Mark Farley.
In pro football there is a pool of about 12-16 candidates that are up for every job. In college football, the number of candidates is triple digits, but most members of the media don't know enough so they just throw out names that seem like they might stick, when in reality, they have no more idea than me.

Kurt Zuidmulder. Will instantly bring Gopher football to new heights by bringing in athletes who drop out after the football season is over. See: Hibbing Community College football.

I saw that Hibbing story on the news a few years back, what ever happened? Do they still have a team?

Nope. Average cumulative GPA was 1.8, only three guys were from the Range, and over the span of a decade prior to its disbandment there were a number of crimes committed by some of the guys who were brought from Ohio, Florida, etc. It was a horribly run program, and it didn't seem like anyone was being a watchdog from an administrative standpoint until it was too late. A lot of good history there, I think they were undefeated in 1991 as well.

The racism argument regarding the cut is definitely a valid one, but that was a multicultural team for a long time and the negative issues surrounding the program were never relevant in a media sense 'til towards the end because they were happening with more frequency. The location a lot of these guys were being brought from indicated the quality being brought in. You can't plop a guy from inner city Cincinnati into podunk Hibbing and expect the transition to go smoothly, especially when more than a few of those guys had crappy upbringings and football was the only productive release they had.

Top Bottom