The Gophers Will Win IF....

MKE_Gopher

Reaction score
As I formulate an opinion for this game and look at the key things that have to go our way the three that stand out to me are:
1. +2 in turnover margin
2. +35 minutes TOP
3. Hold Becky to under 250 yards rushing

What are your key things for a W?

Keys on offense

Convert all of our 3rd downs
Average at least 5 yards on 1st down
No dropped passes

Special Teams

Down punts within the 20
Hopefully there won;t be a need to punt too often

1. A Good Defensive Pass Rush with solid coverage by our secondary
2. Ground and Pound (keeping TOP up and turnovers down)
3. Score at least 1 more point than the skunks

1. Hide their cheese
2. Tell them the liquor stores close at 4pm

1. Don't turn the ball over
2. Get a short field at least once or twice (via TO or ST plays)
3. Keep an even keel as we should come out fired up but need to maintain, even if things get rough. and if we get up, roll up the points and run it up. we can step off the gas in the 4th. if we get down 2 scores early, just keep plugging away at it and don't try to do too much.

Other than the obvious "score more points/keep them from scoring more points than we do"...

Offensively
1. 4.5 or more ypc
2. 32 minutes or more TOP
3. No more than one trip to the red zone with zero points or a FG (score TDs when we get close)

Defensively
1. At least three 3-and-outs
2. No more than two trips to the red zone with TDs (hold them to FGs when they get close)

Overall
1. +2 or more turnover margin

We do those we win the game, IMO, as we'd probably have north of 30 points and they probably wouldn't have the ball enough - or do enough in the red zone - to get more than 28. It is going to be extremely difficult to do.

Both teams want to pound the rock and the weather will only highlight that need. IMO this game, even more than most, will be won by the team that is more physical on the LOS. It may be that simple.

Take out the QB Stave ( Clean hit, not like the cheap shot from Borland ) Stave doesn't like contact
Keep White and Gordon from long runs....
Agree, a couple of turnovers would help...
Keep Aberdarius out of the end zone....
With the wind factor, the punting game will be important.
Solid game from Cobb
Need WR's to step up if Engel is out.

Limit their big plays and tackle well
Get at least two turnovers
Keep their offense on the sidelines as long as possible getting cold
Make a couple of big special teams plays
Force them to kick field goals rather than getting tds

Force the Badgers into Field Goal situations. Their kicking game is not good this year, and the wind will do even more to disrupt it. Obviously if we are holding them to FGs, then we are stopping their running attack.

Nelson will have to throw for over 300 yards and have a career day becuase frankly i just don't see us running the ball very effectively against this D

Who ever run the ball and stop the run will win this game.

If we are up by 2 TD's late in the third...set up the return:D

Nice! It was probably the only thing that angered me about the Penn State game. I'm all for being aggressive in blocking a punt, but that was not the time. Fortunately, the Gophers held them.

Top Bottom