The Gophers basketball season will be a success if?...

BleedGopher

Reaction score
...we finish above .500 in the Big Ten and win a game in the NCAA Tournament.

Go Gophers!!

Top 5 conference and semi final in conference tournament.
ncaa tourney is all about the draw so we’ll see.

It’s a weird year already, throw in what is sure to be a weird year... low outside expectations, and what by all accounts the most talent we’ve ever had and I’m feeling the possibility of a “Nothwestern football” type of year is very possible. The depth concerns we’ve typically had in prior years don’t seem to be an issue, we have balance of talent between front court and back court... I’ll start with lower expectations, but I’m not going to surprised if we have a top 3 conference finish either.

...we finish above .500 in the Big Ten and win a game in the NCAA Tournament.

Go Gophers!!
I agree with this.
If we finish below .500, make the tournament and get bounced first round, it would be an ok season but not a “success”

...I can watch them on TV once in a while. As far as on-court success goes, I have no expectations. I just hope they can stay healthy in various measures.

Beat wisconsin. At least once. Do that and it's a success.

Top 8 B1G, above .500 conference record, improved Defensive ranking in KenPom

Top 4 in the BigTen. I am tired of finishing below 500 in the Big Ten. Only when we can contend for championships will we be able to recruit our top MN players.

With all these new pieces, I agree that .500 in Big Ten and a tourney appearance would be a considered a success for me.

I know my answer is outside of the parameters of the question. But this year I want to see an appearance in the dance and a future that looks bright due to good recruits/ transfers/returning players.

When pitino has had the horses he has proved he could coach. Two seasons from 2015 - 17 would have likely resulted in at least one ncaa win per season. The win over Louisville was very unexpected. Even last season still finished with 8 league wins despite basically having only two players and losing heartbreaking games. Pitino can coach. Throughout his tenure, the main players have hung with pitino despite strong headwinds some seasons. This is in contrast to the previous coach.

That said, i need to see a ncaa berth and most importantly a future that looks bright going forward.

Last edited:

Win 2 games in the ncaa

It's time for it and will help alleviate Coyle and fans fears Richard isn't the right guy for the fit.

I think if will be a big boost for future classes of 2021 and beyond.

Something that's worthy of hanging a banner. That would mean on the low end a Sweet 16 or a Big Ten Tournament title. I don't think I've ever felt that the program was at a lower point than it is now, not even following Dan Monson being "fired" and then brought back for a lame duck season. Interest in the program is lower that its ever been in my time following the team. The progam has been uniformly rejected by every top player in the state for a number of recruiting classes. The good news is the roster is certainly not one of the worst we've seen post Clem even if the energy around the program is completely dead. We're 8 years in and something dramatic really needs to happen to change course here. Any coach should be expected to do something "banner worthy" in 8 years, but it seems especially important now.

Players 1-10 they have the most talent during Pitino's tenure. If they can manage to play 75% of the games, the next threshold of success will be to get them to play as a team. If they share the ball, the victories will come. If they don't, they won't. Sharing the ball will be determined by Pitino and his point guards.

Something that's worthy of hanging a banner. That would mean on the low end a Sweet 16 or a Big Ten Tournament title. I don't think I've ever felt that the program was at a lower point than it is now, not even following Dan Monson being "fired" and then brought back for a lame duck season. Interest in the program is lower that its ever been in my time following the team. The progam has been uniformly rejected by every top player in the state for a number of recruiting classes. The good news is the roster is certainly not one of the worst we've seen post Clem even if the energy around the program is completely dead. We're 8 years in and something dramatic really needs to happen to change course here. Any coach should be expected to do something "banner worthy" in 8 years, but it seems especially important now.
Dramatic course change would have been Coyle doing his job well last spring.
Punted.

But calls for "a .500 B1G season" as "successful" aren't, amiright?
Well, everybody and I mean everybody picks us to finish bottom 4. The AD kept the coach after last season...so finishing above 500 in the Big Ten is significant progress. Pretty hard not to call it successful considering the starting point and amidst a pandemic after your best player from last year's team is drafted in the NBA.
Pitino is the only Gopher coach to have a winning conference record in the last 15 years. We are not dealing with a recent history of success without scandal.

Last edited:

It’ll be odd with limited non conference games.

I feel like any team that’s 11-9 or better in the conference is probably a top 25 team.

Top Bottom