THE GOPHERS ARE NO LONGER RANKED/RECEIVING VOTES IN THE AP POLL

Gophers Ranked in Top 25 at some point this season?

• Yes

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Insane Question

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
True but being ranked one or two weeks will not matter. Players and parents look for sustainability. When you stack it up against schools that are really successful so it is such a big thing for them . But there are so many other things to sell. Winning does open more eyes.

True, but the change has to start some where, right?

Nothing written in stone that says it only has to be 1-2 weeks?

This is the season of HOPE my friend - let it envelop you like your favorite winter sweater.

People say that rankings are meaningless, and being ranked is a curse, and the Gophers always lose when they're ranked, but following rankings is an extra bit of enjoyment I get out of college basketball that I get to look forward to each week when the Gophers are good. It gets me more invested in the goings-on of the sport with teams other than the Gophers, things I don't really bother paying attention to when we're just praying to end up on the right side of the bubble (which we may still end up doing this year, to be fair).
I agree. CBB is so so much more fun when the gophers are ranked. There was nothing better than when the gophers beat UNC and WVU in Puerto Rico and were ranked as high as #13 in 2011 or when we beat MSU and Illinois and were ranked as high as #8 in 2013.

Those were two of the best highs I've ever experienced as a gopher fan and were comparable to the football team beating Penn State and starting 9-0 and being #7 in the AP and coaches poll.

I know the rankings are meaningless but they just add so much excitement checking them every monday to see where we are ranked.

I agree. CBB is so so much more fun when the gophers are ranked. There was nothing better than when the gophers beat UNC and WVU in Puerto Rico and were ranked as high as #13 in 2011 or when we beat MSU and Illinois and were ranked as high as #8 in 2013.

Those were two of the best highs I've ever experienced as a gopher fan and were comparable to the football team beating Penn State and starting 9-0 and being #7 in the AP and coaches poll.

I know the rankings are meaningless but they just add so much excitement checking them every monday to see where we are ranked.
Rankings are not meaningless. The rankings indicate that the Gophers are getting noticed by others who don’t typically follow the Gophers.

Call me a killjoy, but I think Jeff is giving too much credit to Iowa as a nationally dominant team, and probably not including enough subjective effect of college kids being on the road on Christmas Day. Iowa plays bad defense and that will bite them in rear end more than once. I'm taking the win, and will be interesting if official polls give Gophers that much of a bump.

Call me a killjoy, but I think Jeff is giving too much credit to Iowa as a nationally dominant team, and probably not including enough subjective effect of college kids being on the road on Christmas Day. Iowa plays bad defense and that will bite them in rear end more than once. I'm taking the win, and will be interesting if official polls give Gophers that much of a bump.
Killjoy

I think his rankings are a bit of a knee jerk. Iowa lost to the clear #1 team in Gonzaga. Nothing to write home about there. And they were a Carr bullseye away from having that as their only loss.

Great win, I think Gophs get ranked. Sorry, also made me think of this...what was Styx thinking?

Great win, I think Gophs get ranked. Sorry, also made me think of this...what was Styx thinking?
We all think differently! Made me think of a packed Williams Arena blowing the roof off rattling the rafters with the rouser. In a Covid world thoughts of Queen rockin’ to thousands is my post game wish every game for the Gophers!

Wow. After reading your post looked it up and gophs are actually at #15. Imagine a week ago after the illinois loss saying the gophers would be rated 15 in the nation. Mind boggling. Here is the article if anyone is interested.

9 Big Ten teams in their top 25, but Wisconsin was the only one in the top 10. Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, and Nebraska were the 5 who didn’t get in.

Nice!

Respect!

Carr All American!
Do u feel we will get any respect from the officials? I understand when your being lazy, but when you are competing for position we seem to get a lot of soft calls against us. Hopefully as the teams intensity increase the soft calls will start to even out.

Well shit, while we're still on a high...how cool would it be if the Gophers made it to the NCAA, catch fire, and are the only team to beat Gonzaga (and Suggs) all season?

Gophs get a 10 seed and UNC in first round. 15,000 gopher fans show up in Indy all with textbooks to hold up pretending to study during pregame. Gophs win.
2nd game we draw Wiscy in a 2 vss 10 matchup. 20,000 gopher fans in indy holding miniature swinging doors reminding certain wiscy players what not to let hit them in the behind as they left the state. Gophs win.
3 versus 10 gives us Kansas. 25000 gopher fans holding up adidas tennis shoes and stripper polls. Gophers win.
1 versus 10 is Gonzaga. By this time Zag fans know they are in deep so hold up signs of dan monson thinking it might bring us bad karma. Gophers win.
Final four is all big ten teams.
Gophers win it all. A GHer starts a thread about possibilities for next gopher head coach.

Last edited:

Gophs get a 10 seed and UNC in first round. 15,000 gopher fans show up in Indy all with textbooks to hold up pretending to study during pregame. Gophs win.
2nd game we draw Wiscy in a 2 vss 10 matchup. 20,000 gopher fans in indy holding miniature swinging doors reminding certain wiscy players what not to let hit them in the behind as they left the state. Gophs win.
3 versus 10 gives us Kansas. 25000 gopher fans holding up adidas tennis shoes and stripper polls. Gophers win.
1 versus 10 is Gonzaga. By this time Zag fans know they are in deep so hold up signs of dan monson thinking it might bring us bad karma. Gophers win.
Gophers win it all. A GHer starts a thread about possibilities for next gopher head coach.

Love the cap on this, well done sir!

Love the cap on this, well done sir!

Yeah, it is fun to dream. To be honest, I would be content with any tourney seed at this point. Obviously with our next 6 games we will find out a lot. I would take 2- 4 in a heartbeat but would really be impressive if we could split those and and go 4 - 4 through this tough stretch of games.
At any rate, after the iowa result imagine tv ratings for gophers tomorrow will be high.

Last edited:

Funny how a week changes things. Rematch with Iowa in just 2 weeks. 4 ranked teams and a lot could sink or swim between now and then, but my anticipation and curiosity are sky-high to see how both MN and IA respond to this last game.

Do u feel we will get any respect from the officials? I understand when your being lazy, but when you are competing for position we seem to get a lot of soft calls against us. Hopefully as the teams intensity increase the soft calls will start to even out.

Goo question - thanks.

I think we will eventually, we need to earn that from the refs and yes it does exist as we all know. My dad officiated basically any sport that had a ball in HS for 30 years and he told me better teams/players get the benefit of the doubt/tight calls. Most refs will deny it, just like your parents will say they don't have a favorite, lol.

I LOVE this type of enthusiasm and humor!!

Keep it up please

Funny how a week changes things. Rematch with Iowa in just 2 weeks. 4 ranked teams and a lot could sink or swim between now and then, but my anticipation and curiosity are sky-high to see how both MN and IA respond to this last game.

Exactly. I think a lot of it is so many new players it is hard to have any feel for the future. I am hoping we can go 2- 4 the next 6 games. Of course would be huge if we could beat the Spartans but all 17 remaining games are going to be highly competitive so win or lose have to be ready for the next one. No easy day in the big ten.

Built, lay off the Eggnog.
I go by merit,who has beat who. That is why Gonzaga is far and away number one. It is why i have UVA out of the top 30. They have not beat anyone. Gophers have two really strong wins.

I go by merit,who has beat who. That is why Gonzaga is far and away number one. It is why i have UVA out of the top 30. They have not beat anyone. Gophers have two really strong wins.

Just a bit of Holiday Cheer (Joshing) from me to you.

Go Gophers!!

Lunardi's Bracketology still has the Gophers outside the field of 68!

Glad to see you all have them ranked! Lol

Top Bottom