The Gopher State of the Union

JoeCool

Reaction score
Woke up today with some extra perspective and a relatively positive feeling about our football program being at a crossroads of growth. Sue me.

Next season goes one of two ways:

1. We grow through a year against this new B1G schedule. PJ proves he can build and keep up in this fast paced environment. Think 6-6 and another solid recruiting class. I continue to support PJ and his brand, minus his “reasons” for failure.

2. PJ Fired.

In the event that neither happens, sue me again. But I’m banking on us getting our heads out of our butts real soon.

Here’s what I’m referencing:

1. Our position coaches that have developed NFL talent are constantly moving away from PJ for lateral jobs.

2. DTA is great, but *News Flash* our program has consistently spent more than the majority of the B1G in recruiting since 2000. We’ve invested plenty. Players stay at quality programs for less $$. Quality is built over time, with high quality people.

BD39302C-2C80-42B1-AE58-746447472DC8.jpeg

It’s high time for Coyle and Fleck to put their noses to the grindstone and make it work, or we’ll have to pack their bags for them. Change could be good. We can’t fear growth.

Woke up today with some extra perspective and a relatively positive feeling about our football program being at a crossroads of growth. Sue me.

Next season goes one of two ways:

1. We grow through a year against this new B1G schedule. PJ proves he can build and keep up in this fast paced environment. Think 6-6 and another solid recruiting class. I continue to support PJ and his brand, minus his “reasons” for failure.

2. PJ Fired.

In the event that neither happens, sue me again. But I’m banking on us getting our heads out of our butts real soon.

Here’s what I’m referencing:

1. Our position coaches that have developed NFL talent are constantly moving away from PJ for lateral jobs.

2. DTA is great, but *News Flash* our program has consistently spent more than the majority of the B1G in recruiting since 2000. We’ve invested plenty. Players stay at quality programs for less $$. Quality is built over time, with high quality people.

View attachment 29260

It’s high time for Coyle and Fleck to put their noses to the grindstone and make it work, or we’ll have to pack their bags for them. Change could be good. We can’t fear growth.
I find these numbers hard to believe. Source??

I've seen them before but I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with how each school chooses to report things. Lot of shell game stuff could be going on.

Last edited:

I was also a little disappointed by them, but they seem to follow the trends of known investments & hires in our recruiting department as well as others. Here are a couple reputable sources. Ones a database of collegiate spending on each and every college.

https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs#!quicktabs-tab-division_conferences_and_institu-1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...s-georgia-spends-big-for-success-in-2022/amp/

I've seen them before but I think a lot of the discrepancies have to do with how school chooses to report things. Lot of shell game stuff could be going on.

This x 10000. But that’s ok.

It's tricky to assess a program when there is so much change taking place.

look at where the B1G will be in 2024 compared to where it was when Fleck took the job in 2017.

18-team league with no divisions. NIL (including pay for play-style NIL money). players can transfer with no penalty, including multiple transfers.

being a P5 coach has gotten a lot more difficult in the last 7 years.

that is not meant as an excuse for Fleck or any coach. when the rules change, coaches need to be able to adapt and adjust to the new rules. that, more than anything, (maybe even more so than wins and losses) will determine Fleck's long-term future at MN.

well said. assuming fleck is the right guy, a rising tide should lift all boats. we’ll see how this boat floats real soon.

It's tricky to assess a program when there is so much change taking place.

look at where the B1G will be in 2024 compared to where it was when Fleck took the job in 2017.

18-team league with no divisions. NIL (including pay for play-style NIL money). players can transfer with no penalty, including multiple transfers.

being a P5 coach has gotten a lot more difficult in the last 7 years.

that is not meant as an excuse for Fleck or any coach. when the rules change, coaches need to be able to adapt and adjust to the new rules. that, more than anything, (maybe even more so than wins and losses) will determine Fleck's long-term future at MN.
With all the changes to the game a Head Coaches job is much tougher then ever before. That being said, what I would do if I were PJ is to get top notch coordinators (we need more money) and let them focus on the Xs and Os. PJ needs to focus on NIL, recruiting and culture; his strengths. He really needs to be the CEO and let the coordinators play the game.

Top Bottom