The Gopher Defense is Improving

Back in the 1980's - 2010 era (a LOT of years we always seemed to have some good linebackers, some like Najarian and Dusbabek that went into the NFL but we rarely saw decent defensive backs (Tyrone Carter was awfully good, though!) It was so bad you hated to see a 3rd and 9 situation as they couldn't cover anyone and someone would be wide open time and time again. We have done a great job at getting more good defensive backs the last several years.

Really good defensive linemen have been tough to get for us - we always seemed to have 1 or 2 but we never had the depth to really put it together. It's been tough watching teams like Iowa and Wisconsin finish above us every year but they continue to put together strong defenses so it shows that it CAN be done. I loved Mason's offense that he ran but he never could put a great defense together. He showed that a Rose Bowl offense and Music City Bowl defense equals -- a berth in the Music City Bowl!!!
Other than Carter the other pretty good DBs were Willie Middlebrooks, Jimmy Wyrick and Dom Barber. I might have missed one or two but there weren't many.

Other than Carter the other pretty good DBs were Willie Middlebrooks, Jimmy Wyrick and Dom Barber. I might have missed one or two but there weren't many.
I would add Sean Lumpkin and Rodney Heath as well. Mike Lehan may have been in there too.

LOL - Otomewo says "Hi 🥰 " to Benhart!
Ha. Frost blamed Martinez for "drifting" on the safety, and that's why it happened. Not Benhart getting bitchslapped owned by Oto, every year, as is actually the case.

Top Bottom