The Good and the Bad from Tennessee State

RunGopherRun

Reaction score
I'm very excited for this season to actually get underway. Beating up on some bad teams is a nice, easy way to start the campaign, but seeing some real competition is going to be fun. I went to the game last night, and this is what I took from it.

The Good - Our athleticism and defense last night, and all year so far, have been awesome! They are definitely going to be one of the more long, athletic teams in the Big Ten, if not the nation. I thought our physical nature brought to the table was good to see, especially for when the conference season starts up. I thought 4 of our starting 5 plus Mbakwe looked very good. They did what they should have done; run an inferior team off the floor and win in a blowout.

The Bad - My biggest concerns coming from last night's game are threefold.

First, I worry about Joe Coleman. Great athlete, not yet a great basketball player. Can barely dribble with a purpose with his left hand, below average jump shot, and his court awareness worries me, especially on defense. I watched him a few times last night and he looked lost.

Secondly, our ball-handling under pressure was not good. For an inferior team to come into our arena and press us, and in turn cause multiple turnovers is a concern. I would say that more often than not, we did not easily break the press. If a team like TN St can come into the barn and cause problems with a press, what will a more athletic, better defensive team do? I also noticed basic ball handling was not sharp last night. It reminded me of when you try and dribble a ball that is too inflated. It seemed like our guys were losing control of it too easily.

Last, and nothing new here, our half-court offense was fairly stagnant. I would like to see the guys move with more of a purpose, making crisp cuts and sharp passes. There's too much standing with the ball, and not enough passing, screening and cutting. One of the highlights from the American game showed glimpses of what the offense can do, swinging the ball quickly, then getting an easy high low dunk for Rodney.

I realize that many concerns were magnified when the second stringers were in there, which won't happen as much when it matters. I'm the type of guy, though, that doesn't worry about winning and losing early on in the season against weak competition, but more about solid play and execution, taking care of the ball and simply looking good doing it. I used to get more pissed at my teams for playing poorly and winning than playing well and losing. The focus seemed to be lacking last night. Admittedly, it is hard to get up to play bad teams and to stay 100% focused when you know the game is not in the balance.

I'm excited to see what the guys can do on Sunday, as well as on Turkey Day. Win or lose against Duke, I just want them to play well....and WIN!

Yeah I agree, and Maverick should never play unless the score is 20 pts +/-

Mav is actually one of our better 3 pt shooters. I am not advocating major minutes, but he is decent in small doses.

Maverick isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be. Mav isn't a great player by any means but he isn't hopeless.

I think he has been playing out of position at PG, can't create of the dribble, doesn't handle the ball that well, watching him in warmups he has a nice stroke shooting the ball though.

Coleman??

Coleman has been challenged the last two games. Too many turnovers, poor outside shooting (no confidence) and no defense.

New day today, New game coming up. I think Tubby and his Boys know what they need to work on. After all, we are not College Scouts or NBA scouts, so as a result we are not able to judge talent. Some mistakes and bad moments??? For sure, it happens to all BB teams, at all levels.

Mav is actually one of our better 3 pt shooters. I am not advocating major minutes, but he is decent in small doses.

I feel like that about several of our reserves. To sort of quote the great Denny Green, "They are who we think they are," but when guys like Maverick, Oto, Julian, and Ingram look their worst, it's when they are all out there together. They simply don't look very smooth for stretches like their skills don't mesh. Maybe more accurately, like their weaknesses are exposed. But when one or two of them are out there with usually Austin Hollins and Rodney, they're capable of contributing. Oto was rebounding well last night, and it was when he could sort of move around because they were concentrating on someone else. Ingram, last year during the NIT run, surprised a lot of us.

Of course, Tubby has them out there together a lot now, but pretty sure that's going to change as we go along.

Ignorant comment....Just because you are a so called College Scout or NBA Scout does not make you almighty judge of talent or better than some fans. Perfect example, Daniel Edozie. No need to put these people on pedestals.

New day today, New game coming up. I think Tubby and his Boys know what they need to work on. After all, we are not College Scouts or NBA scouts, so as a result we are not able to judge talent. Some mistakes and bad moments??? For sure, it happens to all BB teams, at all levels.

Thats great if Mav can standstill and hit 3's in warmups. Only problem is in the game you have to create your own shot and pass the ball, for which Mav's skills in these two areas lack significantly. Mav is as bad as people make him out to be.

Thats great if Mav can standstill and hit 3's in warmups. Only problem is in the game you have to create your own shot and pass the ball, for which Mav's skills in these two areas lack significantly. Mav is as bad as people make him out to be.

J.J. Redick would disagree with you.

Maverick is 50% from 3 this year. Behind only Rodney Williams who has attempted 1 shot. He has 2 turnovers in 45 minutes. Get off his back. Nobody is asking him to start.

If you want to talk about underperformers, Julian Welch is shooting 25 percent from the floor and 20 percent from deep and has 5 turnovers in 45 minutes as well.

Tell me I'm crazy for using stats like this 3 games in to the season, but at least I'm not ragging on a kid who is playing well 3 games in to the season. Mav gets so much crap for a bench player. It's ridiculous.

Also, I agree with the original poster about Joe Coleman. He is not playing like he is worthy of being in the starting lineup. Unfortunately, who can we replace him with? We really don't have anyone.

Top Bottom