The Gazette: ‘We hate Iowa’ no longer sanctioned by Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Gazette:

“It ended up in our game program, which I didn’t know about,” said Teague, who’s entering his third year at Minnesota. “I told our guys to take it out.”

Don’t look for it to make a comeback, at least one officially sanctioned by the UM athletics department.

“I don’t like the cheer, at all,” Teague said. “I’ve talked to Gary [Iowa athletics director Gary Barta] about that. I don’t like it a bit and, hopefully, we can try to steer away from it.

“I think for some kids it’s funny and it takes on a life of its own. I don’t like it.”
http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/we-hate-iowa-no-longer-sanctioned-20140513

Go Gophers!!

per the Gazette:

“It ended up in our game program, which I didn’t know about,” said Teague, who’s entering his third year at Minnesota. “I told our guys to take it out.”

Don’t look for it to make a comeback, at least one officially sanctioned by the UM athletics department.

“I don’t like the cheer, at all,” Teague said. “I’ve talked to Gary [Iowa athletics director Gary Barta] about that. I don’t like it a bit and, hopefully, we can try to steer away from it.

“I think for some kids it’s funny and it takes on a life of its own. I don’t like it.”
http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/we-hate-iowa-no-longer-sanctioned-20140513

Go Gophers!!

Good luck with that.

Tough sh*t Norwood.

Heaven forbid we have a hated rival. Its not like this is competitive sports or anything....oh wait.

Pretty sure Teague was crossing his fingers and winking when he said that.
This is reverse physiology, or something like that.

Woody has better things to do with his time than to smoke out a vulgar-less student section chant.

YA, OK NORWOOD. I'LL TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY WHEN YOU GET US NEW PRACTICE FACILITIES.

If anything we now know it really gets to Iowa fans and school administrators.

This is quite similar to the fact that we are serenaded with "F*ck the Gophers" chants at many places we play. It ain't going away, regardless of what the higher ups try to do. This is pretty much the same as President Kelley, while I was at UND, telling the band to play over the students whenever that chant started. It just doesn't work.

I wouldn't mind it if it went away when we actually played Iowa, but i hope it still stays around in the non con games when Iowa isn't even until 5 games later on the schedule. It shows our true dislike for them.

I'm sure now that it's out of the program, it will certainly go away. After all, I'm sure all the students read the program each day, so if it's not in there, they won't be able to learn it from anywhere else.

Honestly, what else is he going to say publicly? This is really the only answer to give to the media, and I hate Iowa.

I'm not much for game programs these days as I'm not a member of the AARP that lacks the internet or younger than 10-years-old...

Anybody have where the "Who Hates Iowa" cheer made its way into the program like the article mentions?

Also, if someone could forward a photo of Iowa tearing down the Metrodome goalposts back in '02 to Norwood's secretary, that might help get his Dixie-blood boiling a little bit so he better understands the rivalry.

tumblr_mb2gys4aKq1qc45gp.jpg

I wouldn't mind it if it went away when we actually played Iowa, but i hope it still stays around in the non con games when Iowa isn't even until 5 games later on the schedule. It shows our true dislike for them.

It allows us to show solidarity with out opponent in non-conference games. After all, they probably hate Iowa too. Taking it out of the program's not a problem, I never knew it was in there the first place.

I wonder who hates Iowa more. Minnesota or Nebraska?

Well we have Wisconsin to worry about as well which i personally hate 10 times more then Iowa but I think many fans of both teams really feel that the Heroes Trophy is forced.

Let the record show that I still hate Iowa.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom