The game plan had to get pretty simple pretty quick?

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
That is what PJ said about the Bowling Green game after some the Gophers early shots didn’t connect.

Why? Doesn’t a simple game plan help the other team? Aren’t you still more talented than Bowling Green.

Overly conservative. Reminds me of Glen Mason trying to run out the clock while watching late game leads slip away.

We needed to get pretty simple, pretty quick? Against Bowling Green? At home? In the first quarter? Ok.

IMO:

I think it is more about decisions the players make during a play. But that MIGHT not change how complex things are for the opposing team... and coaches really do this all the time anyway.

Theory:

So you run a stunt on the OL and some guys misses his guy ... and now someone is running free and obliterates your QB. It doesn't matter how great that stunt was, that play was borken.

So you simplify it and don't run that stunt ... your OL guy now makes a block. Maybe you don't get the mismatch you hoped for with the stunt but at least the play continues.... you have a chance.

The opposing defense isn't necessarily better even if they know you're not going to run that stunt (they don't even know that).

I think complexity is not necessarily a 1:1 trade with the opposing defense or offense and more about what your players shown they can do. Even great teams simplify based on what their people can do .. and they still win. Complexity /= an advantage.

I remember TCU had Gary Patterson's "don't go until you know" defense. It worked for them for a while where each defensive player was supposedly reading the whole damn offensive lineup and making a call on what to do based on that. Eventually tho he got players who couldn't work with that and they had to adjust it, the downsides of not knowing was so great that they were better off having guys just play their man or a zone where they made their defensive read. It didn't make the defense easy to exploit or anything, just working with the guys they have.

Honestly I think there's a spectrum of "simplification" going on for every player out there even... all the time. It's not quite the wholesale change that it seems to imply.

That is what PJ said about the Bowling Green game after some the Gophers early shots didn’t connect.

Why? Doesn’t a simple game plan help the other team? Aren’t you still more talented than Bowling Green.

Overly conservative. Reminds me of Glen Mason trying to run out the clock while watching late game leads slip away.

We needed to get pretty simple, pretty quick? Against Bowling Green? At home? In the first quarter? Ok.
I see in this and the press conference threads we have started taking coaches literally again. It's all coach speak.

Pretty sure the coaches had a plan going into the game and when it wasn't working they just stuck with it and figured we could out talent them and do enough to get the victory.

Top Bottom