The Fleck staring into space look

Taco John’s > Taco Bell
No TJs out here - when I go see my Mom in Hibbing, I always stop in Cloquet for gas and some glorious soft tacos- five was my record, when I was young and could woof ‘em down.

No TJs out here - when I go see my Mom in Hibbing, I always stop in Cloquet for gas and some glorious soft tacos- five was my record, when I was young and could woof ‘em down.
In my college days I could take on the “six pack and a pound” but I don’t think I usually got through much of the potato olés.

In my college days I could take on the “six pack and a pound” but I don’t think I usually got through much of the potato olés.
I don’t know if they’re prevalent outside of MN, but I was always surprised they didn’t become a national chain - my mouth is watering right now.

One of my concerns is that the PJisms go from being a mantra people rally behind to annoying real quick.

I’m not making any excuses but we are a middle of the road B10West team without our best player on offense and defense and a QB that doesn’t look comfortable. If you woukd have told me in June that Athan would struggle, lindenberg would barely play and Nubin would be our main ball carrier in the second half of the season, I’d tell it was going to be a long year. I didn’t expect or excuse losses like these.

Assuming we don’t get gutted by the portal, we could be a different team next year if healthy.

If you don't think PJ would look attractive to other AD's in the power 5, then we just disagree.

Not a lot of athletic directors are going to stew over the fact PJ is 5-5 at Minnesota with a sophomore QB and depleted RB and LB groups.

Some AD will believe they'll provide better support to PJ than what Minnesota can do and will consider investing in PJ as a wise investment at $7-8 million.

Last edited:

If you don't think PJ would look attractive to other AD's in the power 5, then we just disagree.

Not a lot of athletic directors are going to stew over the fact PJ is 5-5 at Minnesota with a sophomore QB and depleted RB and LB groups.

Some AD will believe they'll provide better support to PJ than what Minnesota can do and will consider investing in PJ as a wise investment at $7-8 million.
The other big factor that people tend to ignore are the lack of off the field issues and academic success within the program under him. Mid to low tier programs who don't have over the top expectations and some internal issues would take a look at him as a fixer. I could see Fleck developing into or being seen as a Kill variety coach if he's unable to take the next step.

Only other time I've seen that look was the last time they gave up 300+ rushing yards in a game. That was the 2018 game at Illinois. The look was clear and obvious that day in Illinois. Same look at Purdue on Saturday. Only two times I've noticed it.

After the 2018 Illinois debacle, he fired Robb Smith the next day. I don't think he is firing anyone this time, but I do think he is probably trying to figure out what to do next.

In 2018 a week after that look, he pulled off a stunning, absolutely unexpected 41-10 upset of Purdue, which was at the time was contending to win the West after beating #19 Iowa the previous week and #2 Ohio State a few weeks before that. It sent Purdue into a spiral where they lost 14 of their 21 games, while Minnesota would win 13 of their 16 games.

To me, Saturday's look was different. In the 2018 game at Illinois, PJ's look could have burned a hole in the back of Robb Smith's head. Against Purdue, it was more of a "Oh, shit...I am lost. I am losing my team" kinda look. I got a sense there was some self-awareness going on.

If Fleck wants to move on (he isn’t getting fired) he would have no problem finding a landing spot.

It would be a lateral move at best but some school would definitely hire him.

To me, Saturday's look was different. In the 2018 game at Illinois, PJ's look could have burned a hole in the back of Robb Smith's head. Against Purdue, it was more of a "Oh, shit...I am lost. I am losing my team" kinda look. I got a sense there was some self-awareness going on.

He hasn't lost the team. If he has lost the team, we'd have kids in the transfer portal today.

People LOVE LOVE LOVE to say "Oh, HE'S LOST THE TEAM!"

They are one of the most disciplined, least penalized teams with excellent GPA teams that exist in all of football. There are players who are still fighting for their opportunity to play and aren't getting it because the top players are bought in to the degree they are.

The look on PJ's face is essentially that of knowing you are stuck playing a lineback who is a walk on freshman because that's the best option you have right now because #1 and #2 are both out, and you weren't that deep in the first place.

He knows firing a DC isn't the card he had up his sleeve last time with Robb Smith because Rossi is probably doing things are well as he can. (Don't cut off your nose to spite your face)

Can the players play better than they did against Purdue. Yes, and they will. But having to play Kingsbury isn't the spot you wanted to be right now.

But PJ has lost the team? That's silly.
There's zero evidence of that. They just got beat but it wasn't players quitting.

He hasn't lost the team. If he has lost the team, we'd have kids in the transfer portal today.

They are one of the most disciplined, least penalized teams with excellent GPA teams that exist in all of football. There are players who are still fighting for their opportunity to play and aren't getting it because the top players are bought in to the degree they are.

The look on PJ's face is essentially that of knowing you are stuck playing a lineback who is a walk on freshman because that's the best option you have right now because #1 and #2 are both out, and you weren't that deep in the first place.

He knows firing a DC isn't the card he had up his sleeve last time with Robb Smith because Rossi is probably doing things are well as he can. (Don't cut off your nose to spite your face)

Can the players play better than they did against Purdue. Yes, and they will. But having to play Kingsbury isn't the spot you wanted to be right now.

There's zero evidence of that. They just got beat but it wasn't players quitting.
Okay, sounds good. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

The Division I Council approved in August new transfer window dates for when players can enter the portal. Instead of being able to leave a school at any time, players now have to enter the portal within set dates. The first window opens Dec. 4 2023 to Jan. 3 of 2024 . There is also a 15-day spring period in the spring.

Last edited:

PJ's biggest mistake this year was the preseason staff evaluation of the roster.

That, in turn, contributed to a disastrous portal recruitment.

I don't think there is much overlap between the number of programs who would be willing to pay $7-$8 million per year contains and the number of programs with reasonable expectations.

In that range, we are talking about the Oregons, Oklahoma, Miami, and Florida states of the world

If Fleck wants to move on (he isn’t getting fired) he would have no problem finding a landing spot.

It would be a lateral move at best but some school would definitely hire him.
Not any place willing to play anywhere close to his current salary.

It isn’t just playing better at Purdue we got kicked in the teeth by UNC, we barely put up a fight against Michigan, pissed our pants at the end against NW and Illinois and had arguably the worst performance in a decade against Purdue. Talking just about the team as it relates to Purdue this year is disingenuous.

I'm old enough to remember the expectations Gopher Fans had for PJ when he has hired. I can only smh to see how far those have fallen.

The Division I Council approved in August new transfer window dates for when players can enter the portal. Instead of being able to leave a school at any time, players now have to enter the portal within set dates. The first window opens Dec. 4 2023 to Jan. 3 of 2024 . There is also a 15-day spring period in the spring.
Thanks. I think it is hilarious how some out here play the portal every chance they get, like it is some magical thing that can happen whenever. Something like a third do not land at a new school, and less than 60% get a scholarship at their new school.

I guess everyone perceives things how they perceive . I have no idea, but I saw the exact same look, exact same mannerisms. Wandering aimlessly 40 yards away from anything for much of the second half, staring off into space. Exactly the same thing both games to me. Only time I've seen him like that.

life-taco.gif

Those might be the “official” portal windows … but what does that matter?

You can always go on Twitter and announce anything you want, whenever you want to.

A coach for a school could go on Twitter and say something like “we will be looking for a transfer ___ to enroll this coming spring”, whenever they want.

Back channel discussions can happen whenever they want to happen.

I’d be interested to see that. But you never know. It only takes one

Top Bottom