The Final Straw

csom_1991

Reaction score
I know people think this 12-team playoff will 'fix' college football...but what happens when:

1.) OSU plays MI in the final game of the season (both teams enter undefeated)
2.) OSU rematches MI in the B1G championship game THE NEXT GAME
3.) OSU and MI both meet for a 3rd time in the playoffs and maybe even 3 times within the course of 4 games....

Even having OSU and MI play each other 2 times in a season just seems wrong - it kills the big game and thinking 2 teams could play each other 3 times in the same season is just ridiculous.

And we could have the same thing with BAMA and GA - with the only difference being that #1 and #2 would not be in consecutive weeks.

To save college football, we need to abolish the playoffs, not expand them.

You want to abolish the playoffs?! And just have the AP vote again?

Todays games have been fantastic. It will be even better next year with some of these games at home stadiums.

12-team playoff is fantastic.

Go Gophers!!

I know people think this 12-team playoff will 'fix' college football...but what happens when:

3.) OSU and MI both meet for a 3rd time in the playoffs and maybe even 3 times within the course of 4 games....

Even having OSU and MI play each other 2 times in a season just seems wrong - it kills the big game and thinking 2 teams could play each other 3 times in the same season is just ridiculous.

And we could have the same thing with BAMA and GA - with the only difference being that #1 and #2 would not be in consecutive weeks.

Good luck with that.

Todays games have been fantastic. It will be even better next year with some of these games at home stadiums.

Go Gophers!!
Playoffs? Let's have beat writers who often barely pay attention to teams they don't cover decide.

The playoffs after years of avoidance by the idiotic NCAA, has been a massive success and will continue to be with expansion. 12 is enough and it should stop there but I would be ok with 16 teams in the end.

Playoffs? Let's have beat writers who often barely pay attention to teams they don't cover decide.
Yes, it was a better system. As it is, there are precisely 3 games that mattered this year (the 2 today and the championship game). Bowl season used to be interesting as it was a conversational event for people to speak about relative strengths of the conferences. Now, with opt outs and the bowls outside of the playoffs being seen as irrelevant, the bowl season is all but ruined.

Even prior to the last 2 years, with the SEC teams dominating, etc - the playoffs became utterly repetitive and boring. If Bama had been able to beat MI, I would not watch the championship game.

This fixation on the playoffs to generate more TV money will be the final nail in the coffin of college football. We already have these ridiculous 'super conferences' and the ridiculousness of the bowl season is on full display with teams like OSU this year.

Yeah, I know - 12 teams next year so the playoffs and conference championships will almost last the same time as 1/2 of the regular season and at the same time, completely cheapen what happens during the regular season as you can lose 1 or maybe 2 games and still make it if you are a helmet school. I would much rather extend the regular season to 13 games, have a conference championship, and then a final bowl game tie-in with the SEC (like the old B1G and Pac12) and be done with it.

Go Gophers!!
Voting was better. Makes every week of the season better. But if you like nfl style then sure 12 team playoffs is for you.

Yes, it was a better system. As it is, there are precisely 3 games that mattered this year (the 2 today and the championship game). Bowl season used to be interesting as it was a conversational event for people to speak about relative strengths of the conferences. Now, with opt outs and the bowls outside of the playoffs being seen as irrelevant, the bowl season is all but ruined.

Even prior to the last 2 years, with the SEC teams dominating, etc - the playoffs became utterly repetitive and boring. If Bama had been able to beat MI, I would not watch the championship game.

This fixation on the playoffs to generate more TV money will be the final nail in the coffin of college football. We already have these ridiculous 'super conferences' and the ridiculousness of the bowl season is on full display with teams like OSU this year.

Yeah, I know - 12 teams next year so the playoffs and conference championships will almost last the same time as 1/2 of the regular season and at the same time, completely cheapen what happens during the regular season as you can lose 1 or maybe 2 games and still make it if you are a helmet school. I would much rather extend the regular season to 13 games, have a conference championship, and then a final bowl game tie-in with the SEC (like the old B1G and Pac12) and be done with it.
Agreed. And opportunities for increased injuries.

Go Gophers!!
I'd be all for going back to the voting thing if we could also revert to PAC 10 vs Big 10 Rose Bowl, and the conferences being contained to their membership as it was in 1990.

I have no opinion. But what a difference games make when titles are actually on the line.

Anything the opposite of the boring Ohio State substitutes game.

Maybe all senior players with a draft projection of 4th round or higher will have earnings insurance to induce top players to play.

I think it will be much more difficult to go undefeated in the expanded Big 10. Example: Michigan plays, Texas, Oregon, USC at home and Washington and Ohio State on the road next year. Going undefeated with that schedule won't be easy.

The playoff games yesterday were great. It's going to be pretty cathartic if Washington takes down Michigan. I don't care how it all works out as long as the games are good and we don't continue to have 15 opt out bowls sponsored by the transfer portal and airing on the NIL network

I know, I wish we could go back to simpler times when things weren't so corporate and we played in the Micronpc.com Bowl.

I'll admit I was at that game. I think it was one of Mason's first epic 2nd half collapses. The 5 days or so in South Beach were a blast even if the game itself was a rainy dud.

That was one of the first "Who's the Sponsor Again?" bowl games as I recall. And yes, not a good look for Mase or the Gophers with that one, especially after the Sun Bowl game vs the Ducks the year before. Uffda.

Do you think the 12 team playoff would stop the majority of the transfers and opt out for the games? Strange how players get a nice NIL to play for the season, and then they bail out for the final big game.

Furthermore, you're looking a huge expense for people to travel to three games (if your team goes that far) for the playoffs? Talk about milking the public.

I'll admit I was at that game. I think it was one of Mason's first epic 2nd half collapses. The 5 days or so in South Beach were a blast even if the game itself was a rainy dud.
Koren Robinson ran through the Minnesota secondary like they were cars on 169 south and he was late for curfew in Mankato.

Do you think the 12 team playoff would stop the majority of the transfers and opt out for the games? Strange how players get a nice NIL to play for the season, and then they bail out for the final big game.

Furthermore, you're looking a huge expense for people to travel to three games (if your team goes that far) for the playoffs? Talk about milking the public.
Make it breach of contract if they bail for the bowl game.

No portal until after January 1.

I honestly don't have a strong opinion on the playoff, 4 team, 12 team, BCS, etc.

But what an odd time to make this post after we had BY FAR the best pair of semifinal games we've ever seen.
It has to all be part of the conspiracy.🤔

Make it breach of contract if they bail for the bowl game.

No portal until after January 1.
Yep, some kind of contract system is going to have to be put in place. The neverending transferring and the sitting out of bowl games is really a bummer.

Maybe they don't care about the bowl games, not sure how much money alot of them make. Because we all know the only way anything changes is if someone is losing some money or not making as much as they could, etc.

If something isn't done, then there isn't any need for bowls outside of the new top 12 that is coming next year. Most of these were like watching JV teams this season.

1->2 is a legit issue that the Big Ten should address.

Simple enough: the championship game shall not be a rematch of rivalry week, with the lower ranked team being replaced by the third highest ranked team.

2->3 is much less of a deal and very likely cannot happen in the first round of the playoff. The champ is likely to have a bye. The loser is not. Hopefully they can tinker with the bracket to avoid a rematch in the 2nd round.

Nope.

Yes, I think it would stop most. As fo the bold, It is what has been happening in some variation (Regionals/Finals) with the many other D1 sports tournaments for years. For Men's Basketball, it is three locations: 1/2 rounds, regionals, and final four (four if you are part of the first four).

1->2 is a legit issue that the Big Ten should address.

Simple enough: the championship game shall not be a rematch of rivalry week, with the lower ranked team being replaced by the third highest ranked team.

2->3 is much less of a deal and very likely cannot happen in the first round of the playoff. The champ is likely to have a bye. The loser is not. Hopefully they can tinker with the bracket to avoid a rematch in the 2nd round.
I believe the conference champs are guaranteed the byes.

I honestly don't have a strong opinion on the playoff, 4 team, 12 team, BCS, etc.

But what an odd time to make this post after we had BY FAR the best pair of semifinal games we've ever seen.
With 12 teams, probably get more contests like the Oregon beatdown of Liberty.

Top Bottom