The fake bricks at Baylor's new stadium

wait!what?

Reaction score
They use a brick themed tarp and it is awful. Makes a Gopher fan appreciate the real stuff at TCF.

For reference:
fake.jpg

Glad the the brick was installed on our field wall, I remember it being a last minute addition.

They should have put padding up like the gophers have in the endzone. That would've looked much better.

Concrete was what the original walls looked like in TCF bank stadium along the stands. There was a wealthy alumn of the U that did not like the look and cheapness of the finished concrete and made a generous donation to pay for the brick inside the stadium.
We were lucky that another alumn stepped up to the plate and paid for that change.

Here's an interesting thing I observed about Baylor's McLane Stadium (other than the fact that it looks like a public toilet seat from above):

At nowhere on the stadium itself (other than the field endzone) is the word Baylor or the BU logo permanently affixed. It's almost like they're scared to put their name on it in case they default on the mortgage and have to try to sell it to the Waco school district.

aerial-sept14.jpg

Oh, and you're looking at just about all the parking that exists adjacent to the stadium. With virtually no tailgating.

If I built a shiny new stadium (which we kind of just did), I would brand the heck out of it with my logo. Instead, that place could be stripped of all references to Baylor in about an hour with a handful of wrenches and a few pairs of scissors. Very odd.

Other than the large letters with Daddy Drayton's name on top, you might not even identify it as a stadium when driving by on I-35. It looks more like it could be a hospital.

photo-42.jpg

surprising, they had quite a significant budget didn't they?

Minnesota Stadium references: The U of M hall of fame was paid for with part of a $6 million donation from South Dakota businessman T. Denny Sanford, and the brick wall inside the stadium was funded by a $500,000 donation from university alumni John and Nancy Lindahl, who also co-chaired the fundraising campaign.

I believe the Lindahl's also funded/donated on naming rights for one of the main entrance arches as well.

A big hats off to the Lindahl's indeed. Ski-U-Mah!

Minnesota Stadium references: The U of M hall of fame was paid for with part of a $6 million donation from South Dakota businessman T. Denny Sanford, and the brick wall inside the stadium was funded by a $500,000 donation from university alumni John and Nancy Lindahl, who also co-chaired the fundraising campaign.

I believe the Lindahl's also funded/donated on naming rights for one of the main entrance arches as well.

A big hats off to the Lindahl's indeed. Ski-U-Mah!

I did not know about the Lindahl's generous donation for the brick wall. Indeed, a big hats off to the Lindahl's!

Here's an interesting thing I observed about Baylor's McLane Stadium (other than the fact that it looks like a public toilet seat from above):

At nowhere on the stadium itself (other than the field endzone) is the word Baylor or the BU logo permanently affixed. It's almost like they're scared to put their name on it in case they default on the mortgage and have to try to sell it to the Waco school district.

aerial-sept14.jpg

Oh, and you're looking at just about all the parking that exists adjacent to the stadium. With virtually no tailgating.

If I built a shiny new stadium (which we kind of just did), I would brand the heck out of it with my logo. Instead, that place could be stripped of all references to Baylor in about an hour with a handful of wrenches and a few pairs of scissors. Very odd.

Other than the large letters with Daddy Drayton's name on top, you might not even identify it as a stadium when driving by on I-35. It looks more like it could be a hospital.

photo-42.jpg

Pretty similar to what we have, TCF is a little more polished looking though imo. Water access is interesting though, would be cool to be able to "tailgate" in a boat.

Pretty similar to what we have, TCF is a little more polished looking though imo. Water access is interesting though, would be cool to be able to "tailgate" in a boat.

Ski U, I thought the same thing about the design being similar to TCF. I wonder if the waterfront makes traffic a spectacular mess on game days. Thanks for the help on the brick tarp pic.

And, yes the Lindahl's derserve accolades.

Having been up close to both stadiums, the "polish," or the little architectural details make a huge difference in setting TCF apart from McLane.

photo-42.jpg

TCF1.jpg

McLane has too many blank walls along the sides, and the remaining walls are punctuated by seemingly random horizontal windows. TCF has a much more classic style. The columns look more substantial and meaningful, the cap above the brick is a true design element, and there are additional details like archways at TCF.

McLane seems like someone took the rough blueprint for TCF, shaved off all the design elements to save a few bucks, and then added in some weird stuff to make it look modern.

There is also no doubt whose stadium TCF is, with the giant Minnesota in the seats.

Basically it is TCF south. The capacity is 45k, but it looks bigger. It probably looks that way because of all the tiers.

What the? Is Baylor trying to be our doppelganger?

Pretty much. They basically admit to having hardly any original ideas of their own.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/bayl...cle_beaad612-d3c5-5904-99bf-633da9856c23.html

The Baylor stadium is fine; a lot like TCF Bank Stadium (and not surprising as to why).

Anyway, I found this statement at the end of that article interesting/amusing:
“It’s an unbelievable sight,” Head Coach Art Briles said. “You can go to a lot of universities in this nation, but you’re not going to find one with a stadium on the river on I-35 like that. It is a standard."

Kind of funny...TCF Bank Stadium was the main model for the Baylor stadium...TCF Bank Stadium may not be right on the river, but it's not far off. It's also right off of I-35.

The Baylor stadium is fine; a lot like TCF Bank Stadium (and not surprising as to why).

“It’s an unbelievable sight,” Head Coach Art Briles said. “You can go to a lot of universities in this nation, but you’re not going to find one with a stadium on the river on I-35 like that. It is a standard."

Kind of funny...TCF Bank Stadium was the main model for the Baylor stadium...TCF Bank Stadium may not be right on the river, but it's not far off. It's also right off of I-35.
But no water access, which I think is key. Would be cool if you could come up to a slip in the River Flats or something, but I don't' know how popular that would be as it's still a hike to the stadium from there.

"We wanted to make this stadium accessible to more 150 people coming by boat. You're not going to find that kind of genius at just any university."

"We wanted to make this stadium accessible to more 150 people coming by boat. You're not going to find that kind of genius at just any university."

They were just planning ahead...for the invention of the steamboat. Once automobiles are invented and bridge technology spreads to Waco, though, this will lose its luster.

Top Bottom