Sports Illustrated: no Big Ten team
College Football News: Minnesota vs Oklahoma

Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl
CBS News: Minnesota vs Central Michigan
ESPN’s Mark Schlabach: no Big Ten team
ESPN’s Bruce Feldman: Northwestern vs Northern Illinois
Sports Illustrated: no Big Ten team
College Football News: no Big Ten team

While no-one is predicting it, a rematch of the 2006 Insight Bowl is a distinct possibility for the Gophers.

Can someone explain to me why Feldman would pick us to go to Champs over Wisconsin?

Notice also that Nebraska (which was the hot pick for us to meet at Alamo a week ago) is no longer in the picture for either Alamo or Insight

Can someone explain to me why Feldman would pick us to go to Champs over Wisconsin?

Notice also that Nebraska (which was the hot pick for us to meet at Alamo a week ago) is no longer in the picture for either Alamo or Insight

There apparently is some talk that Wisconsin would try to broker a deal to avoid Flordia since they've been there quite a bit over the past few years:

Outback: 2005, 2008
CapitalOne: 2006, 2007
Champps: 2008

Those predictions seem a little weird. I'm sure those guys know better than me for the most part, but I don't get how the majority of them had Iowa going 1-2 over their last three and ending up getting a BCS at-large. Guess I'm missing something?

Also, at least one of those guys have the 6-6 Gophers in the Champs Bowl, and another has us 6-6 in the Alamo Bowl....I don't know how that would work, but I'd be thrilled w/ that draw.

Also, at least one of those guys have the 6-6 Gophers in the Champs Bowl, and another has us 6-6 in the Alamo Bowl....I don't know how that would work, but I'd be thrilled w/ that draw.

I go back-and-forth on this issue. Would I prefer to see the Gophers in a more winable lower tier bowl or in a major bowl against a VERY tough opponent (such as Virginia Tech or Oklahoma). In the end, I think the goal should always be to play in the highest profile bowl possible against the best opponent.

I may feel differently, however, if we get maimed in front of a viewing audience of 40 million - ask me in two months ;)

There's also a chance that he doesn't realize that Champs picks before Alamo this year.

CBS Sportsline has the same Big Ten bowl lineup as I do. Mine:

Rose: Ohio State vs. Oregon
Capital One: Iowa vs. LSU
Outback: Penn State vs. Mississippi
Champs: Michigan State vs. Virginia Tech
Alamo: Wisconsin vs. Texas Tech
Insight: Northwestern vs. Kansas State
Pizza: Minnesota vs. Temple

I think Wisconsin will get swapped to the Alamo to avoid Florida for a sixth straight year. Michigan State reportedly had preferred staying near home to play in Detroit rather than go out to Tempe, but Northwestern's upset of Iowa probably means the Gophers drop behind the Wildcats, leaving Sparty a more desirable date in Orlando.

There are ways for us to get to a game other than Detroit, but it involves beating Iowa and hoping for a few upsets.

If I were a betting man....

.....I'd put my money that we're ending up in Detroit.

Hey, I'd rather be in Detroit playing against Temple or Central Michigan than home for the holidays.

Still, everyone is assuming that we'll beat SDSU and lose to Iowa. Neither is a lock. We need
to find a way to come out of the locker room ready to play against SDSU, and I think we will.

With Iowa, there might be some blood in the water. Stanzi got hurt and NW caught them.
They've also got a VERY big game this Saturday against tOSU. Who knows what shape they will
be in when they play us?

There's still A LOT of football left to be played. The Gophers can still finish anywhere from
5-7 to 8-5, and any possibility is reasonably plausible.

Hey, I'd rather be in Detroit playing against Temple or Central Michigan than home for the holidays.

Still, everyone is assuming that we'll beat SDSU and lose to Iowa. Neither is a lock. We need
to find a way to come out of the locker room ready to play against SDSU, and I think we will.

With Iowa, there might be some blood in the water. Stanzi got hurt and NW caught them.
They've also got a VERY big game this Saturday against tOSU. Who knows what shape they will
be in when they play us?

There's still A LOT of football left to be played. The Gophers can still finish anywhere from

Agreed on all counts. I think Iowa beats us with or without Stanzi, but it'll definitely be closer if he's out. And if Iowa's coming off 2 huge losses in a row, blowing their NC and Rose Bowl chances in consecutive weeks, who knows how up for a game they'll be?

This is because they are now being talked about for either the Holiday or Cotton Bowl games which get to pick prior to the Alamo Bowl within the Big 12.

We have managed to avoid Detroit for may years, perhaps it is finally our turn. I hope not though.

We have managed to avoid Detroit for may years, perhaps it is finally our turn. I hope not though.

I wouldn't say it's Minnesota's turn considering in 12 years they've had a Big Ten team twice....but after losing to two-win Illinois at home playing for the program's best bowl bid in 47-48 years, it's certainly what they deserve.

Wins means more than anything.

I dont care where the Gophers go for a bowl but we need to win the game. The last thing this Gopher team needs is to end the year on a bad note. Go to a Bowl whatever Bowl that is and get a win. The Gophers are past the point where going to any bowl is good they have to start winning bowl games. If we can go to the Alamo Bowl that would be great but playing a team like Oklahoma is only great if we win the game.

CBS Sportsline has the same Big Ten bowl lineup as I do. Mine:

Rose: Ohio State vs. Oregon
Capital One: Iowa vs. LSU
Outback: Penn State vs. Mississippi
Champs: Michigan State vs. Virginia Tech
Alamo: Wisconsin vs. Texas Tech
Insight: Northwestern vs. Kansas State
Pizza: Minnesota vs. Temple

A December bowl game, in Detroit, involving Temple and a 6-6 Gopher squad, in front of several hundred family members and friends:eek:

This might represent enough evidence to suggest that there are too many bowl games:eek:

be in when they play us?

Agreed on all counts. I think Iowa beats us with or without Stanzi, but it'll definitely be closer if he's out. And if Iowa's coming off 2 huge losses in a row, blowing their NC and Rose Bowl chances in consecutive weeks, who knows how up for a game they'll be?

I wouldn't say it's Minnesota's turn considering in 12 years they've had a Big Ten team twice....but after losing to two-win Illinois at home playing for the program's best bowl bid in 47-48 years, it's certainly what they deserve.

A December bowl game, in Detroit, involving Temple and a 6-6 Gopher squad, in front of several hundred family members and friends:eek:

This might represent enough evidence to suggest that there are too many bowl games:eek:

There is no way we go to Detroit. They do not want us. They prefer NW, MSU, or Mich. Champs wants us bad, they will take us at 6-6, 7-5 for sure.

There is no way we go to Detroit. They do not want us. They prefer NW, MSU, or Mich.

They don't "want" us? They "wanted" Florida Atlantic last year? Middle Tennessee State in 2006? It's Detroit, they get who's left.

Champs wants us bad, they will take us at 6-6, 7-5 for sure.

The Big Ten's fourth slotted bowl will take a 6-6 team that finishes 7th-8th in the league with a reputation, fair or not, of not traveling, not selling tickets, not bringing ratings, no marquee players, no national cache'.

I could care less about the trolls

what matters is what's best for the team. Getting the extra
practices, the National TV exposure, etc....that tends to trump
what some basement-dwelling, no-life internet troll might
post.

what matters is what's best for the team. Getting the extra
practices, the National TV exposure, etc....that tends to trump
what some basement-dwelling, no-life internet troll might
post.

This has helped us so much in the past :rolleyes:

This has helped us so much in the past :rolleyes:

Who's to say? I can't imagine our offense would be any better if we had been forced to wait another few months to institute instead of getting a game under our belts as a 'power-run/pro-style' team at the end of the season.

Top Bottom