The Division I Council is recommending that the NCAA get rid of the “one-time” part of its transfer rule. Anyone would be able to transfer.

I do not undersand the angst on this site for allowing student athletes to be as free to transfer schools as other students.
They are not serfs bound to their master's estate for life.
Is there some incipient fear that U of MN is such a less desirable place to play college sports that there will be a mass exodus if the rules are changed?
College football was different. I don't really watch minor league sports. Do you?

I do not undersand the angst on this site for allowing student athletes to be as free to transfer schools as other students.
Is there some incipient fear that U of MN is such a less desirable place to play college sports that there will be a mass exodus if the rules are changed?
BINGO!

Because other students don't bring in massive amounts of TV revenue to the school.

Surely you can understand that it's a special situation, special even to the US compared to other countries in the world, in how much our people care about and love college teams.

Special situations warrant special rules.

Many of us don’t follow pro sports because the players are paid mercenaries that get out of Dodge as soon as a) contract allows, b) for highest bidder and c) often whining about their salaries or grievance XYZ. There is no loyalty to the devoted fans. The owners are even worse, threatening to move if hostage demands are not met. Kind of distasteful (and stupid) all around.

While semi-delusional, college fans like to think the players went to University ABC because they really liked the school, the coach, the state, the city. There was an affinity relationship. There was a perception it was purer competition, for love of the game, blue collar players striving to make it to the brass ring payday. Appreciation for grinding for far less compensation. Now we are evolving to the paid mercenary model. It’s fine, just different and some will probably be turned off by massive roster churn and and arguments over contracts (strikes in CFB future…?) find other hobbies to pursue, uses for their money. Maybe some of us will check out pro sports again. There is only so much time.

Pompous - with all due respect, you can't put every player in the same basket.

Sure, at every P5 school there are 'mercenaries' who are only there because they want to go pro and they do the bare minimum possible to stay academically eligible. and then there are players who really do get into the college experience and want to earn a degree.

the thing is - players today have more options than ever before.

So, the players who choose MN and play for MN want to be at MN. whether they are getting NIL $ or not. and I can choose to support them on that basis.

as far as "pure" competition - it still exists at the D2 and D3 level. If the money, transfers, NIL and other aspects of major-college sports are too much for you, find a D3 school to follow.

with unlimited transfers, roster management would be a nightmare.

at the very least, I would think there would have to be some type of a "transfer window" period or otherwise, you could have guys switching teams literally in mid-season.

the catch in all of this: if they meet academic standards.

who sets the standards? and who determines whether the academic standards have been met.
Let's say Joe Stud decides to leave State U and transfer to College X. State U says he didn't meet their academic standards, and he's not eligible to play at College X. opens up even more avenues for skullduggery.
They'll use SEC academic standards ... ability to fog mirror.

College football was different. I don't really watch minor league sports. Do you?
There isn't unlimited free agency in minor league sports, because of the chaos that would ensue. This will be worse. Schools like the U will develop players who are high 3 stars and low 4 stars. Once the development is apparent, helmet schools will poach them (assuming they can blow enough "failures" from their roster out the door to make room). Under this system, Mo, Rashad B, Winfield, and Boye finish up their careers at Ohio State or another perennial top 10 school.

Sure, at every P5 school there are 'mercenaries' who are only there because they want to go pro and they do the bare minimum possible to stay academically eligible. and then there are players who really do get into the college experience and want to earn a degree.

So, the players who choose MN and play for MN want to be at MN. whether they are getting NIL $ or not. and I can choose to support them on that basis.

as far as "pure" competition - it still exists at the D2 and D3 level. If the money, transfers, NIL and other aspects of major-college sports are too much for you, find a D3 school to follow.

I take your points and agree. CFB is not yet at the level of pro sports. Many of the rank and file will probably be happy just to be there. With unlimited free agency, financial inducements, un-policed tampering and agent involvement others will seek out greener pastures, pun intended, particularly if/when a free market compensation model develops between conference/schools and players recognized as employees. This movement seems to be on the fast track with recognition of a rapidly toothless NCAA unwilling to continue the ongoing legal battles. Jason Stahl of all people is at the vanguard…

It‘s not over yet, but CFB is down 15 points with three minutes to go and 1 timeout. I read a synopsis of the NFLPA evolution this morning and that might be the future.

They'll use SEC academic standards ... ability to fog mirror.
Hello prospective transfer from FAU. Thank you for your interest in the University of Florida. However, before we can enroll you, we need to know whether or not you qualify academically to our prestigious and academically proud university. Now, here is a chart with various letters on it. Please hold it up and read off each letter that you see starting from the top. For the small letters, don’t be afraid to put it right in front of your face. We also have TA’s here to assist should you need any help.
61icbTpCVgL._SL1500_.jpg

Congratulations! You passed! Welcome to the University of Florida! Coach Napier is waiting for you just down the hall.

college football should do whats best for the young men playing the game not the fans or coaches

Students can also go to college for 15+ years if they choose. Should college players get infinite years of eligibility too?
Why not?
The starting center for MN is a six-year player.
If the NIL $$ were adequate to support a player, why not?

Sure and fans have every right to quit watching and paying for tickets.
True. I didn’t miss a Vikings game from 1982 to 2015 when I quit the NFL cold turkey. Big time college football is getting close to that for me. It’s just morphing into something that I’ll have no interest for in probably 3-5 years. I bought season tickets for Mercer University this fall for the first time. I’ve been to 3-4 games there the last 2 years and it’s refreshing to be there. I’ll stream the Gophers on my phone if there is a time conflict.

True. I didn’t miss a Vikings game from 1982 to 2015 when I quit the NFL cold turkey. Big time college football is getting close to that for me. It’s just morphing into something that I’ll have no interest for in probably 3-5 years. I bought season tickets for Mercer University this fall for the first time. I’ve been to 3-4 games there the last 2 years and it’s refreshing to be there. I’ll stream the Gophers on my phone if there is a time conflict.
My waning interest in professional sports was slow at first, but then grew exponentially to the point where I don’t even care anymore. And it seemingly happened overnight. NFL and MLB games have served as nothing more than background noise for me if I even bother to turn them on. My interest in college sports is on the exact same trajectory. And this is coming from a former season ticket holder that was excitedly tailgating for those 11:00 games as soon as the lots would open… and would also spend additional money to see the Gophers in some low level bowl game.

You can’t see the impact to other programs outside of MN? March madness will be pretty boring without veteran mid majors pulling upsets.

Get a scholarship at the U, transfer the next year(no coaching change), you transfer because the grass looks greener, you are responsible for the cost of the.scholarship. After all, by you taking the scholarship offer, you prevented someone else from enjoying the benefits.

all these rules will apply to d3 as well and d3 won’t be the same

Payments will be smaller or not at all. But the transferring and all that will gut that system as well.

all these rules will apply to d3 as well and d3 won’t be the same

Payments will be smaller or not at all. But the transferring and all that will gut that system as well.
Why do you think that? The title of the thread is DI Council...

Next they should eliminate Academic Eligibility and school attendance requirements. The sports teams become athletic clubs sponsored by Universities, but not an active part of that University. Pay the players their tuition equivalent in salary and if they want an education they can enroll and spend it there.

It's because many believe it would make college football less enjoyable. Part of what makes college football so enjoyable for many is tradition. It's going to look completely different in 5-10 years at this pace.

I think part of the issue is, is that the Alabamas, the Ohio States, etc. will get the best players in the country that "ain't there to play school", get the big NIL money, and believe its the best route to the NFL. The handful of schools of that ilk will be the only ones winning national championships. Teams like Minnesota won't even have a shot at getting into the CFP. Ever. And super conferences?...the Gophers might sniff the top half every once in a while.
I am in the camp that in about 10 years D1 college football will suck...suck too much for my tastes. I probably won't follow D2 or D3 ball either.

Top Bottom