The Division I Council is recommending that the NCAA get rid of the “one-time” part of its transfer rule. Anyone would be able to transfer.

elmo-burning.gif

More permissiveness that destroys community. They should rush back to the old rule that you sit out a year - bring some commonsense back. We are moving into anarchy in which rich schools can pay via NIL for what they want, as players jump around like grasshoppers from school to school. We don't need superconferences, we need to keep our regional conferences which have stood for over 120 years.

The players should have the same rights as the coaches do to move to where the grass is greener and more importantly the same rights as other students to transfer as often as they want to if their academic credentials are in order.

The players should have the same rights as the coaches do to move to where the grass is greener and more importantly the same rights as other students to transfer as often as they want to if their academic credentials are in order.
Does that mean that John Ruiz would have to buy out a kid's NIL deal from J.R. Ewing (or whoever the biggest SMU booster is) to bring the kid to Miami?

Students can also go to college for 15+ years if they choose. Should college players get infinite years of eligibility too?

Coaches have contracts that have to be bought out if they move schools. So what would the “same rights” equivalent be on players? Boosters buying them out?

If they allowed free transfers with immediate eligibility for any reason anytime....why would a place like Ohio State or Alabama ever recruit a single high school player outside of some can't miss sure fire superstar?

Let everyone else do the hard work and then just go pluck whoever you want from the feeder teams rosters. Basically making every player an unrestricted free agent every season.....what could possibly go wrong?

with unlimited transfers, roster management would be a nightmare.

at the very least, I would think there would have to be some type of a "transfer window" period or otherwise, you could have guys switching teams literally in mid-season.

the catch in all of this: if they meet academic standards.

who sets the standards? and who determines whether the academic standards have been met.
Let's say Joe Stud decides to leave State U and transfer to College X. State U says he didn't meet their academic standards, and he's not eligible to play at College X. opens up even more avenues for skullduggery.

Just make them have to meet entrance criteria and then sign a contract with the University they end up at and be done with it. Effective free agency every year with no limitations/caps on money are going to ruin the sports side

Years ago freshman were ineligible for varsity competition and they changed that rule and then they added a redshirt rule about playing four games.

I think it is time to progress the rule. Every athlete gets 5 years of eligibility and no one is eligible to redshirt. This would be the give. The take is anytime a player transfers they sit out for 365 days and essentially miss one of their five seasons.

I would also grant free transfers immediately following a coaching change but there would have to be some guidelines written in so other schools don't come in and snatch up everyone in the program.

They aren’t coaches and they aren’t normal students. Just like other roles in life there are perks and drawbacks to each. If the player wants unlimited transfers I believe they can remain a walk-on for their career and then they would have that option.

I feel bad for the smaller programs, especially for basketball. The roster churn is going to be ridiculous, it already is. They basically become like prep schools or like juniors in hockey.

If they allowed free transfers with immediate eligibility for any reason anytime....why would a place like Ohio State or Alabama ever recruit a single high school player outside of some can't miss sure fire superstar?

Let everyone else do the hard work and then just go pluck whoever you want from the feeder teams rosters. Basically making every player an unrestricted free agent every season.....what could possibly go wrong?
100% Why would they even spend 2 seconds recruiting? Fall press conference to announce that next year we need X players. Days are numbered for college sports.

I'll make the same point that I made in the bball forum version:

wonder if the NCAA is trying to make fans so angry, that Congress is forced to make a national law.

That is what they've been pining for, all along.

I don't see myself following college sports 10 years from now. If you're not going to just go the distance, make them pros, sign them to contracts and pay them then what are we doing?

Make the helmet schools buy these superstars. Just like schools have to buy coaches under contract. If that's not the solution, and it just turns out to be a free for all where Ohio State and Alabama cherry pick whoever they want every off season, then I don't have interest in it.

Last edited:

That's all fine and good but that's not enough. I think they should get a trophy too, as long they fulfill their academic requirements, of course. Otherwise some of them will still harbor sad feelings and that would not be good for anybody.

Maybe add a new rule that transfers get to start at least one game at their new school, too.

Add in their choice of any color M&M's for 30 days to ease the adjustment.

The ability to apply to the NCAA to receive a waiver for a free apartment for Mom at the new school should certainly be granted if requested.

I think we can officially say college sports are pro sports now. No more pretending.
The 2019 season was the end of an era. 2020 and forward has been, and will be, something entirely different.

I suggest that they can transfer anywhere, anytime, get paid more than the faculty, and we might as well follow the North Carolina model and not even require them to attend real classes (easier to keep them “academically eligible” that way.

The 2019 season was the end of an era. 2020 and forward has been, and will be, something entirely different.
One day some fella just wanted to seek some nourishment with a bowl of bat soup at a market in china. Next thing you know college athletes can get paid millions and transfer to any school of their choosing on a whim with immediate eligibility.

Last edited:

This transfer change won't make any difference.

Pay for play and player contracts are coming soon. Please play for us for $100k a year on a 2 year contract, with a 3rd year option. No transferring because you are on contract, but we can cut you.

I'm actually hoping that players (more likely their lawyers and advisors) have enough sense that when this CFB Player's Association gets going, they'll accept a deal for X% of the TV revenue in exchange for (at least) the following two things:

1) agree to hard cap on total compensation (revenue sharing + NIL) for each roster
2) agree that while any player can transfer to any school at any time he wants, he can't be immediately eligible to play for that school's team.

I'm probably missing something, but I just looked at who makes up the Division 1 Council. If everyone gets an equal vote, mid-majors seem to have the majority. Why in the hell would the Delawares and Northern Iowas agree to this? It's like Kansas City being a farm team for the Yankees when I was young. I'd guess the answer is money, but I'm not sure how this is a positive for schools like that and, maybe eventually, schools like Minnesota. I'm not sure anything is good for us if Ohio State is for it; and it sure as hell isn't if Alabama or Texas is pushing it.

I do not undersand the angst on this site for allowing student athletes to be as free to transfer schools as other students.
They are not serfs bound to their master's estate for life.
Is there some incipient fear that U of MN is such a less desirable place to play college sports that there will be a mass exodus if the rules are changed?

Top Bottom