The Dinkytown McDonald's has closed: Remembering the U of M's golden arches

They should open in the bottom level of a new apartment tower. I seem to recall another establishment that has successfully done that not too long ago ...
I am guessing that is the plan

I believe Big Ten had the option to do so, but I am guessing the rent hike for new building turned them off.

Yeah, I know that. But also note they signed a 7 year lease with the U.

I believe they also have ability to lease out space in any new building.

Stubs has been shut down for sometime now, they didn't even open patio due to a structural issue in the building and I'm not even seeing them do take out.
Looks like they signed a two year lease that might be extendable to seven years or more. That was 2 1/2 years ago. It likely has more to do with when the U wants to build on the land than when Sturbs decides to close. I am sure that there will be an option to open a bar called Stub and Herb's in the new building, but you can't recreate 80 years of history. Hope it works out. My guess is that the events of the last year pushes back a plan for the U to build, so if they can weather this next 5-12 months, they may stick around a few more years.

I remember wandering there from a Dinkytown house party, with a Metrodome stadium cup filled with booze, giving the on-duty police officer working the door a high-five, walking in like it was just another party.

I also have made trips there that I don't remember, like the time I found an ATM receipt from the night before in my pocket from there, using a card for which I didn't know the PIN. How did I get there? How did I get money to eat burgers I don't remember? Did I just use trial-and-error and keep guessing until I got enough for the dollar menu? One of the many mysteries of the Dinkytown McDonalds.
This popped into my head reading your post...

Pour one out! Living 2 blocks from there for a few years while in school there were a lot of memories there! But without a doubt the one i will never forget is after a football game we ended up there and were trying to get some of the cheerleaders to come home with us to party. They seemed interested but asked if he had any cocaine, to which we said ahh no, and they promptly said they were not interested in our party. That is a 100% true story ha and I will never never forget it.
That sounds like a convenient way for a cheerleader to get you to stop talking to them...

Super Slice!

Every once in a while I will still go to the Rocky Rococo next to Park Center HS. Not quite the same ambience as the one that was at the U, but the pizza still tastes the same.

Every once in a while I will still go to the Rocky Rococo next to Park Center HS. Not quite the same ambience as the one that was at the U, but the pizza still tastes the same.
With an order of breadsticks?

In the 60's that McDonald's was upscale dining instead of the usual White Castle burger we got on Hennepin.

Looks like they signed a two year lease that might be extendable to seven years or more. That was 2 1/2 years ago. It likely has more to do with when the U wants to build on the land than when Sturbs decides to close. I am sure that there will be an option to open a bar called Stub and Herb's in the new building, but you can't recreate 80 years of history. Hope it works out. My guess is that the events of the last year pushes back a plan for the U to build, so if they can weather this next 5-12 months, they may stick around a few more years.

I have some inside knowledge as a U employee, any plan for the site is not in near future (next 2 years).

The U wants sell the West Bank Office Building, move employees from there back to campus. I do wonder if now that u realizes how many of us can work from home how much they'll invest in office space.

What's in the Dinkydome nowadays? There was a fine little food court in there when I was in school.

I fell on my ass in the McDonald's parking lot one time coming back from the Valli Pub. Not sure if the adult beverages had much to do with it - it *was* icy.......

The uptownification of America is everywhere. They’re building these same apartment buildings in northfield for heavens sake
Agreed.
It's called "Potato Head" architecture. You're just sticking different parts (Materials) on the same potato (Building) It's really destroying the urban fabric.

Agreed.
It's called "Potato Head" architecture. You're just sticking different parts (Materials) on the same potato (Building) It's really destroying the urban fabric.
At least it’s not as bad as all the buildings built between 1959-1979

At least it’s not as bad as all the buildings built between 1959-1979
Ugh - those concrete boxes. Like half the St. Cloud St. campus, or Blaine/Anoka HS.

Al's closing would be a travesty!

Almost as bad as Big Ten Subs closing! Oh shit, that happened.

Perry’s Pizza after going to The Valley or Bootlegger Sam’s. Salad, two slices, and a Coke for $2.

Seeing Randy Breuer hunched over in the 7’ high ceiling.

My McDonalds memories include my days as a student and the normal late-night burger etc but later and recently, when my daughter went through the U there was a guy I found on Craig's list selling campus bikes out of the McDonalds parking lot. He was there with a pickup bed full of bikes for sale every Saturday in the fall. I bought her a perfectly used bike for the campus for $75. A great memory.

My McDonalds memories include my days as a student and the normal late-night burger etc but later and recently, when my daughter went through the U there was a guy I found on Craig's list selling campus bikes out of the McDonalds parking lot. He was there with a pickup bed full of bikes for sale every Saturday in the fall. I bought her a perfectly used bike for the campus for $75. A great memory.
Classic Mc10speed

I still cant get passed Big Ten Subs closing. Oh the humanity!
The Brickhouse way back in the day...the 7-corners staples are all pretty much gone other than Bullwinkle's reopening. Still bar/restaurants there and my fall back area when the spots around TCF and Dinkytown are packed after games.

Top Bottom