The Deion Sanders effect: Colorado sees record number of applications, including 50% spike from Black students

Many schools in the south have been aggressively recruiting high quality students from the north for over a decade now, luring them with valuable scholarships. Places like Alabama, Auburn and Oklahoma among others have lured students from my circle that I would never have expected would go south. To a number, every single one has had an excellent experience and several have gone on to good grad schools. They are taking education seriously and it helps the institutions and the students.
It would come as a shock to many that Florida is the #1 state in the country for education according to US News & World Report.

It would come as a shock to many that Florida is the #1 state in the country for education according to US News & World Report.
Swamp People must be pushing Florida to the top. Remember one's education begins after graduation. Spring break comes to mind not education when thinking about Florida. US News & World Report has been known to spread misinformation.

The valedictorian of my high school (way, way far north) chose...Florida State. In the Bobby Bowden era. She was plain sick of the cold and FSU was cheap.

The Florida #1 in education thing is heavily influenced by a few things:
  • Selectivity. Because Florida is a high population state it makes getting into the big state universities harder, like in California or Texas.
  • Affordability. Florida has always had low cost for public universities. I remember in the late 90s that Florida and FSU were almost the same cost out-of-state as my most-expensive-in-the-nation state schools (MSU and Michigan) were in-state. It was tempting to follow the girl I mentioned above.
  • Residents with a degree - Florida imports a lot of educated and wealthy people from other states because it's a tropical, coastal state in the mainland USA. Many were not educated in Florida, but Florida has socioeconomic metrics more like a midwest state and not a southern state because it imports more well-off people.

He has the second rated transfer class coming in, per Rivals, with many 3/4 ⭐️ OL & DL - which was their primary weakness last season.

There’s some on here that want him to fail, but he revitalized a school and only the silly would bet against him not to be successful in Boulder.
Guess it depends on what you consider successful. Right now he is battling it out with CSU to be the second best team in the state. I didn’t see anything last year that made me think it’s wheels up for this program. On field decisions also were head scratching at times like picking to start on offense in overtime. If he can get CU to a mid level program consistently that would be a success based on what he took over, but even that is far from a lock. Although realignment should make things much easier.

Guess it depends on what you consider successful. Right now he is battling it out with CSU to be the second best team in the state. I didn’t see anything last year that made me think it’s wheels up for this program. On field decisions also were head scratching at times like picking to start on offense in overtime. If he can get CU to a mid level program consistently that would be a success based on what he took over, but even that is far from a lock. Although realignment should make things much easier.

Time will tell

Deion has "taken the path less traveled." Robert Frost. The transfer route needs money to work properly. Deion has shown to be a better recruiter than coach. The next few seasons if he stays will tell the story. "Success has many fathers failure is an orphan." Bud Grant

• Residents with a degree - Florida imports a lot of educated and wealthy people from other states because it's a tropical, coastal state in the mainland USA. Many were not educated in Florida, but Florida has socioeconomic metrics more like a midwest state and not a southern state because it imports more well-off people.
And many have finished contributing to the workforce anyway and are just retiring to Florida due to tax reasons and weather. Where, and when, they educated themselves and then contributed to the GDP is really irrelevant to the "total count" of people living in the state with a degree.

Top Bottom