The Deion Sanders effect: Colorado sees record number of applications, including 50% spike from Black students

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Their chancellor knew what he was doing.

Colorado might have only gone 4-8 in its first season with Deion Sanders as head coach, but it was a winning season for the school in one very big way.

Sanders' debut season coincided with a 20% increase in applications from last year, adding up to a record-breaking 68,000 applicant pool for the fall of 2024, according to the Daily Camera's Olivia Doak. That includes a 50.5% increase in applications from Black and African American students and a 25.6% increase from Hispanic and Latino students.

The school will reportedly make offers to 51,000 students, of which 35,000 are non-residents of Colorado.

Assistant vice chancellor of admissions Jennifer Ziegenfus reportedly credited Sanders for raising Colorado's national profile, but stopped short of saying he was the direct cause:

“No doubt the exposure that CU Boulder has received since Coach Prime was hired has been tremendous,” she said. “It obviously showcases that a number of our national media outlets are attracting applicants from all over the world, but it’s really difficult for us to draw that causational line between Coach Prime and this application increase.

Sanders joined Colorado after two years at FCS Jackson State last year and quickly became one of the biggest stories in college sports. His first spring game saw a sellout crowd and the hype only increased when the Buffaloes started the season 3-0, including a season-opening win over a ranked TCU team.

He once again has an enormous transfer class coming in, with 24 commits ranked by Rivals as the country's No. 2 transfer class.

Neon Dion Sanders has shown us he is a far better recruiter/fund raiser than coach. Like the X-files "the proof is out there".

:ROFLMAO:

Going from 0.3% of total applications to 0.45% of total applications, is a 50% increase!!!

Record breaking 68,000 applicant pool but can't say Deion was the reason said the person whose job it is to get those applications. What a chucklehead....fire the woman.

What is the old saying about statistics?

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of statistics to bolster weak arguments, "one of the best, and best-known" critiques of applied statistics.

20% increase in applications - this is something the in denial academics at the UofM can never admit to - vibrant sports at the university lifts all boats.
When Saban retired I was surprised to learn the extent of his impact on applications and enrollment at Alabama. The school became substantially more selective just because it went from having almost zero out-of-state interest to having some of the most of any public university.

When Saban retired I was surprised to learn the extent of his impact on applications and enrollment at Alabama. The school became substantially more selective just because it went from having almost zero out-of-state interest to having some of the most of any public university.
My nephew from Lakeville matriculated there.

My understanding is they recruit heavily from places like Chicago.

Bring outside money down south, luring them with scholarships and a major party scene. Something like this

Perhaps higher student loan interest rates are driving more interest in quality public schools. Then again, maybe the SAVE scheme has made that mostly moot.

20% increase in applications - this is something the in denial academics at the UofM can never admit to - vibrant sports at the university lifts all boats.
What would constitute "admitting" that?

I see this phrase where people say "they'll never admit it" ... but that seems to be from some imaginary conversation where someone was supposed to "admit" something, I guess they imagine they (a whole university) refused?

His record at Jackson State was impressive, he can clearly coach. He took over arguably the worst P5 program, he needs time.
He has the second rated transfer class coming in, per Rivals, with many 3/4 ⭐️ OL & DL - which was their primary weakness last season.

There’s some on here that want him to fail, but he revitalized a school and only the silly would bet against him not to be successful in Boulder.

Last edited:

He has the second rated transfer class coming in, per Rivals, with many 3/4 ⭐️ OL & DL - which was their primary weakness last season.

There’s some non here that want him to fail, but he revitalized a school and only the silly would bet against him not to be successful in Boulder.
...and there's nothing wrong with that.

My understanding is they recruit heavily from places like Chicago.

Bring outside money down south, luring them with scholarships and a major party scene. Something like this
Many schools in the south have been aggressively recruiting high quality students from the north for over a decade now, luring them with valuable scholarships. Places like Alabama, Auburn and Oklahoma among others have lured students from my circle that I would never have expected would go south. To a number, every single one has had an excellent experience and several have gone on to good grad schools. They are taking education seriously and it helps the institutions and the students.

Many schools in the south have been aggressively recruiting high quality students from the north for over a decade now, luring them with valuable scholarships. Places like Alabama, Auburn and Oklahoma among others have lured students from my circle that I would never have expected would go south. To a number, every single one has had an excellent experience and several have gone on to good grad schools. They are taking education seriously and it helps the institutions and the students.
I mean, in many ways major public universities are massive economic engines.

It makes a lot of sense for them to finally realize this and spend some of that sports good will (donations, popularity and thus state funding, etc.) trying to pump up the SEC academically/research wise to chase after the Big Ten.

There are only so many PI slots available at Big Ten schools. If you have your sights set on academia as a career and don’t mind going to SEC, it could be a good thing for your career.

So different than a generation ago when I went to college and we didnt think much of the SEC schools’ academic standards. Obviously these state flagships have always had their areas of academic strength and honors programs and such. But now they are “highly selective” for all, and recruiting strong students from the suburban Midwest and northeast. Took some adjustment in reading college admissions forums where parents would say their kid has a >4.0 and 1500 SAT and are really sweating the chances to get into Clemson or UGA or UF from out of state.

I filled out brackets this year with Colorado in the Men's and Women's Finals Four because I can imagine this happening with hours of breathless coverage of Deion sitting courtside.

People that make their college choice based on how flashy the football coach is, are exactly the kind of students you want at your university.
If that's truly why they chose the school, yes that would be foolish (I'm no Deion fan). But with around 4,000 colleges in the US, it gives your school exposure and may make quite a few students consider your school once they see everything it has to offer. One reason Duke has become ultra-selective is the exposure their basketball team has given them in the last 35 years.

If that's truly why they chose the school, yes that would be foolish (I'm no Deion fan). But with around 4,000 colleges in the US, it gives your school exposure and may make quite a few students consider your school once they see everything it has to offer. One reason Duke has become ultra-selective is the exposure their basketball team has given them in the last 35 years.

Exactly and that’s the point of the article.

Kids didn’t go to Duke because they thought Coach K was kool; Duke was on TV all the time, which looks cool and provides an ungodly amount of free advertising/exposure for the school that it wouldn’t have received otherwise.

The more applications, the more selective the school can become and then the school’s ranking increases etc…
It’s an interconnected process.

Top Bottom