The defensive backs

Doc1001

Reaction score
It was nice to see---in the second half--the defensive backs doing things i have rarely seen a gopher team do:
-Not so much space between receiver and db
-hitting the receiver as he catches the ball instead of tackling after the catch
-actually going for the interception at times

I know you are more susceptible to the bomb playing with less space but--i take that chance with some athletic players.

It's especially encouraging when you consider that those particular players had never played together in a game before yesterday. You've got a converted WR, a converted RB, a 35-year old safety and a Minnesota State transfer all seeing big minutes. It's the definition of a patchwork secondary, but it sure didn't look like it in the second half.

Totally agree. I think that was the key to the better performance in the 2nd half - they stopped giving the big cushion. Now if the coaches can just dream up something to help the pass rush...

i still can't comprehend why it took until halftime to move them up......being he was playing pitch and catch the whole first half with no one in the zip code as the receivers

i still can't comprehend why it took until halftime to move them up......being he was playing pitch and catch the whole first half with no one in the zip code as the receivers

You give up different things with quarters coverage and cover 2. Every defense has weaknesses. If they thought they could wear down USC in the first and play more aggressively in the second half, they were right. There were a lot of completions, but almost all of them were short. The idea is that if the CB gets off one block, the swing passes are no-gains. Once they saw that they were going to be able to run with USC, and that they needed to be more aggressive given the game situation, they adjusted. I'm fine with the timing. Keep in mind that we also don't know how extensive the headset issues were and how they affected communication.

In terms of the pass rush, there were two main factors working against us. The first was that those swing passes, slants, and other 3-step drops made it impossible to get to the QB. USC wasn't trying to hit downfield all that much, so there just wasn't time to get to the QB. There is a give and take. The pass rush, USC's offensive play calling, and our defensive play calling all work in conjunction. It isn't Madden.

The other main factor was that it is USC and their players on the OL are better than our DL/LBs. Talent goes a long way for the line battles on passing downs.

Though they did play more tight coverage in the 2nd half, there were still times where they played the softer coverage. The difference was that they made more aggressive breaks on the play, beat more blocks and closed faster to stop the bubble screen. I remember one in the second half, I believe it was Vereen that shed the block and made a good open field tackle to limit the play to little-to-no gain. I think this is some of what Kill meant when he says they played faster. The softer coverage can work if you have the speed to close it down and the ability to beat the block. We'll see how it goes as the season goes on.

The defensive back's tackling was night and day from last year. Fundamentally sound. Woods was the only player I saw break a few tackles consistently and he could be an all-american.

Sorry, I can't take a lot of positives from giving up 177 and what 16 catches to one guy. A blown coverage for a TD and overall suckage by the DBs. It was better in the 2nd half but it's going to need to get better if the Gophers hope to win 6 games and get bowl eligible.

Is Manuel in the dog house or something? Didn't see him get any snaps. Was pretty convinced before the season that he would be our second best DB after Troy

We are currently 2 quarters on defense and given up no points. How long can this last? Can we tack on 4 more on Saturday?

Though they did play more tight coverage in the 2nd half, there were still times where they played the softer coverage. The difference was that they made more aggressive breaks on the play, beat more blocks and closed faster to stop the bubble screen. I remember one in the second half, I believe it was Vereen that shed the block and made a good open field tackle to limit the play to little-to-no gain. I think this is some of what Kill meant when he says they played faster. The softer coverage can work if you have the speed to close it down and the ability to beat the block. We'll see how it goes as the season goes on.

This is how I saw it as well.

Don't get me wrong, Kill made some adjustments on tightening up the coverage but the biggest differences was the improved play of the DBs in coverage on those bubble screen type plays. They were getting off blocks (or beating the blocks) much better in the 2nd half.

It was nice to see good tackling in the 3rd and 4th Q's of a game!

I dont think the gophers need to win 6 games and become bowl eligible to be vastly improved. I know what rebuilding is. I will cheer and be giddy if they do but my expectations are lower. Why not double team Woods and make someone else beat you? That's a coaching call. It's done in basketball and it was done on Randy Moss in the pro's?

Top Bottom