The Daily Gopher's 1st Crack at 2 Deep

Killjoy

Reaction score
Click on the link below to read The Daily Gopher's attempt at predicting what the two deep roster might look like. After perusing it comment on what you might change. If that is not enough for you, you can then comment on whether the Gophers will be a young or not a young team this fall based on this chart from the article.

1st Team = [0 FR] [0 rFR] [7 SO] [10 JR] [6 SR]
2nd Team = [4 FR] [8 rFR] [9 SO] [4 JR] [3 SR]

Totals
FR = 4
rFR = 8
So = 16
JR = 14
SR = 9

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/8/16/4628064/projected-golden-gopher-football-2-deep

Assuming your 2-deep is correct, 28 underclassmen vs. 23 upperclassmen makes this a young team. I would hope in future years that these numbers are reversed or even heavier with upperclassmen. Men usually beat teenage boys.

Go Gophers!

Assuming your 2-deep is correct, 28 underclassmen vs. 23 upperclassmen makes this a young team. I would hope in future years that these numbers are reversed or even heavier with upperclassmen. Men usually beat teenage boys.

Go Gophers!

It is not my two deep but it is The Daily Gopher's. Anyway, thanks for taking my bait and saying that it is a young team. You can get shot around here for saying that.:rolleyes:

It is not my two deep but it is The Daily Gopher's. Anyway, thanks for taking my bait and saying that it is a young team. You can get shot around here for saying that.:rolleyes:

The two deep is young, right? Or fairly so I would say. But no Freshman or even Redshirted Freshman on the first team seems unusual. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't more teams have some freshman starters?

The two deep is young, right? Or fairly so I would say. But no Freshman or even Redshirted Freshman on the first team seems unusual. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't more teams have some freshman starters?

Not really. I looked up on Rivals the depth chart for the following Big Ten teams and here is number of class members for the starting line-up for the following teams:

Ohio State = 15 SR, 5 JR, 2 SO, and no FR.
Michigan = 10 SR, 10 JR, 2 SO, and no FR.
Wisconsin = 12 Sr, 4 JR, 4 SO, and 2 Red shirt FR
Iowa = 9 SR, 6 JR, 7 SO, and no FR.

Some people hate it when it is pointed out that we are a young team but that is the reality we are dealing with.

Well, that may be a refreshing change of pace seeing how I usually shoot myself in the foot ;-)

Not really. I looked up on Rivals the depth chart for the following Big Ten teams and here is number of class members for the starting line-up for the following teams:

Ohio State = 15 SR, 5 JR, 2 SO, and no FR.
Michigan = 10 SR, 10 JR, 2 SO, and no FR.
Wisconsin = 12 Sr, 4 JR, 4 SO, and 2 Red shirt FR
Iowa = 9 SR, 6 JR, 7 SO, and no FR.

Some people hate it when it is pointed out that we are a young team but that is the reality we are dealing with.

Yeah it seems as if everyone is older than us. Nebraska has 19 seniors and 3 juniors as starters.

Youth of projected lineup is interesting. I watched a little of a Wisky game (from last year) on BTN the other day, and remember them mentioning that half their (I think) offensive starters were redshirt seniors and the rest redshirt juniors. That's something to shoot for.

I agree with the author on the Daily Gopher that this team is not exactly "young" with 16 of the 22 projected starters to be upperclassmen (15/22 if we start a WR or 2nd TE instead of a FB). I think you can have more experience on the 2nd team, but only true powerhouses have a number of really talented upperclassmen manning their second unit. 4 true freshman in the two deeps is certainly a concern and a sign of a young team, misused scholarships, or a combination of both.

Shabazz at safety and Travis at corner? When did that happen? What about the special teams?

The issue with youth isn't necessarily playing a number of underclass men. For this team, it's the glaring lack of Fifth Year Seniors

With the battle between Ed and Marek at LT and the state of flux of the receiving corp, they could EASILY start the season with ZERO Seniors starting on offense. Paint it however you want, that's a relatively young team. It's not that different on the defensive side of the ball.

That being said, that all goes away in 2014. It's will be a solid team this year, and if a few things go their way for a change, they'll surprise a few people. But 2014 could be a special season as the roster is shaping up right now

The issue with youth isn't necessarily playing a number of underclass men. For this team, it's the glaring lack of Fifth Year Seniors

With the battle between Ed and Marek at LT and the state of flux of the receiving corp, they could EASILY start the season with ZERO Seniors starting on offense. Paint it however you want, that's a relatively young team. It's not that different on the defensive side of the ball.

That being said, that all goes away in 2014. It's will be a solid team this year, and if a few things go their way for a change, they'll surprise a few people. But 2014 could be a special season as the roster is shaping up right now

It is totally within the plan that Coach Kill has of building slowly to get to where he wants balanced classes.

I would say we aren't as young this year compared to last year, the second stringers are young, but looking at the two deeps we have a lot of experience and assuming all goes well we will return 17 starters next year. If this team can go 7-5 than win their bowl game, they should enter 2014 with a ton of momentum.

Now with McDonald possibly gone, does Wolitarsky jump ahead of the upperclassmen on the second squadron?

Top Bottom