The consequences and motivation for the BIG 'season' that is about to end

Great article!

As it happened, the task force moved things along more rapidly than that. Over the last two weeks of August, the doctors discussed using newly available antigen testing in conjunction with the PCR tests. While antigen tests are less reliable, results are available in less than half an hour, which substantially reduces the labor involved in contact tracing. They were also more readily obtainable in bulk, so athletic departments would be able to administer them to players and coaches almost daily, rather than once or twice a week. During that time, too, the doctors helped gain access to cardiac M.R.I. machines for several of the athletic departments that hadn’t been able to use them. This meant that players across the entire conference who were recovering from Covid-19 could be tested for heart inflammation, greatly reducing the risk that anyone who developed myocarditis would return to action too soon

Bolded can't be understated.

There is zero reason that someone with significant heart inflammation, no matter how it developed or how ultimately benign it is in the long term, should be participating in very-high intensity workouts.

Last edited:

It was a bunch of weird circumstances that I don't think any sports related organization could have been prepared for. What worked and what didn't I think was more luck and happenstance than anything else.

I'm ready to just move on and never think of it again.

Top Bottom