The coaches I thought we shoul've hired

Jan. 10 (2007)--NCAA officials have confirmed that Houston's Art Briles has been contacted by representatives from the University of Minnesota to discuss the Golden Gophers' football coaching vacancy.

But Briles, who was named Conference USA Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award, decided Tuesday to decline an interview.

"Art continues to tell me that he wants to be here at Houston," UH athletics director Dave Maggard said. "We have agreed on a contract, so I expect him to be here."

That contract is a new five-year extension, the terms of which have been agreed upon but are being reviewed by the University of Houston legal department before final approval.

Then he goes to Baylor the next year. The guy picked Baylor over us. Sigh.

The guys on the Football Scoop message board were sure convinced we were going to hire Bobby Hauck.

maybe he went to Baylor instead of us because he knew people would want him fired two years into it all

From what I remember I thought we were after Johnson pretty hard but it all fell apart due to what Johnson was asking for.

I do believe we are doing things the right way this time around...with a coach like Mason (at one time was the second highest paid Big Ten coach) we didn't have anything left to pay our assistants. Even though we've had turnover at our coordinator positions under Brewster we've been able to get guys like Ted Roof. Now I know what everyone will say, but having this money allows the gophers to keep the assistants like Lee, Davis and Butler. We need the ability to keep these guys here 5-10 years.

Imagine how much money we would have for attracting and retaining assistants if we weren't paying our ex-offensive coordinator to sit on the sideline or paying 6 figures for a glorified admin to be a recruiting coordinator when a coach could be doing the same thing.

Then he goes to Baylor the next year. The guy picked Baylor over us. Sigh.

The guys on the Football Scoop message board were sure convinced we were going to hire Bobby Hauck.

Art Briles is a Texas guy to the core. He was a legendary high school coach there (in TX high schoo hall of fame) and I don't ever see him leaving the state unless it was an amazing offer.

Top Bottom