The Bowl Dumping Begins...

stevedave23

Reaction score
Dumping on the bowl game by the media now seems to be in full swing. Here is a recap of this morning's 93X morning show with Randy Shaver:

93X Host: And the Gophers accepted an invitation to play Kansas in the Insight Bowl on new year's eve.

Randy Shaver: *Laughs*

93X Host: (sarcastically) What, you're not excited for the gophers bowl game?

Randy Shaver: No, I'm not.

93X Host: So who's the lucky one that gets to go down and cover this game?

Randy Shaver: I don't think we'll send anyone down.

As Lee Elia said during his famous rant, "they're really behind you around here!"

That's ridiculous

As a mostly disinterested party here, I have to agree with most of you that the Gophers do get the raw end of the deal from most of the local media here in the Twin Cities. Especially Gopher football. I don't think it is that way for M&W bascketball, M&W Hockey, and wrestling, well mostly all other sports, come to think of it.
I think the only media outlet that is pro-Gopher football (at least that I watch/listen to) is the Power Trip show on KFAN. Justin, the Fargo Flash (I won't attempt to spell his last name :)) and the normal compliment of on air personalities do the best job of getting the balanced-but-biased flavor you would expect from a local show.
I would be upset if I were in your shoes.

Congratulations on your bowl invitation and good luck vs Kansas. I'll be rooting for you - and the rest of the Big Ten. Even Ohio State, ugh.

Randy Shaver knows nothing about college football. Remember a few years ago when Nick Davis was returning kicks for the Vikings? Someone asked Shaver on the show "So where did this Nick Davis guy come from?" Shaver had no clue that he played college ball for Wisconsin.

His daily "updates" consist of him reading headlines from the morning sports page...yet he is supposed to be on the show to provide insight that the public wouldn't know about.

With that said...I still enjoy the Shaver segment on 93x. The chemistry that he has with the 3 hosts is very good and makes for an enjoyable 20 minute segment on my way to work.

The media reeks!

If the time comes for a big bowl, Shaver and his like will knock each other over to get the coverage and pretend like they have been there all along!

I remember the Music City bowl back in 2002. My wife and I went down there and Tim McNiff and Mark Rosen spoke at a pep rally. McNiff has always been a Gopher supporter and die-hard...Rosen will always jump on the Gophers when Chad Hartman is on one of his rants. For that reason I applauded McNiff but not Rosen.

Someone should start an official list. People we don't want to EVER see the inside of TCF Bank Stadium.

Dumping on the bowl game by the media now seems to be in full swing. Here is a recap of this morning's 93X morning show with Randy Shaver:

93X Host: And the Gophers accepted an invitation to play Kansas in the Insight Bowl on new year's eve.

As Lee Elia said during his famous rant, "they're really behind you around here!"

you have to understand that this is the only way media ratings losers like randy shaver, pat reusse, dan barrerio, joe anderson, chad hartman can stay even remotely relevant. none of them have an ounce of real talent. so their “bit” is to rag on the hometown teams as much as possible (even when it is not warranted) to in turn get people up in arms and to listen to them, which in turns drives up their meager ratings and keeps them employed.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. just don’t listen to these guys or read them, or click on their stories and problem is solved.

Shaver should just stick with his Prep Sports Extra :mad:

It's a relief the gophers are not going to Detroit. Realistically, Phoenix was the best case scenario, and a person shouldn't complain about it. Hopefully the fans that make the trip will buy tickets through the UM ticket office. I'm sure there will be a large MN crowd again this year.

Rosen had a similar exchange during the brief banter with the anchors following his sports segment a week or so ago. Talking about how the Gophers were going to start to practice for their bowl game....dripping sarcasm of course.

Do you think the media in Lawrence is blasting the Jayhawks for dropping from the Orange to the Insight?

Top Bottom