The Biggest Obstacles to Beating Duke

Nobody thought the '10 Duke team was National title contenders either.

Never never never never underestimate Duke in these preseason tourneys. Duke has had problems in March but go ahead and look up their record in November in these tourneys. I expected them to beat Kentucky because that's what they do in November.

Those expecting Minnesota to win should consult almost every team that's played Duke in one of these tourneys ( cough lakesgopher cough). Go look it up.

Bump.

Never underestimate Duke in these preseason tourneys. 21st straight win in these tourneys.

NEVER

Those who said we didn't need to worry about Plumlee may want to rethink that position.

Those who said we didn't need to worry about Plumlee may want to rethink that position.

+1. The only time we could cut into the lead was when he was off the floor towards the end of the half. . He was a game changer.

I thought Mo and Trevor did a decent job against Plumlee but he really took advantage of when he was up against Elliott and dominated against him. The biggest thing that killed is was Duke was really on with their shooting and even hit a lot of very tough shots.

Plumlee isn't going to be a factor, if we limit out turnovers and our guards are efficient we win this game by 10+. Duke is not a top ten team right now and I don't think they will have an answer for our defense. As for matchups, I personally don't think they have an answer for Rodney. This isn't a typical duke team, they aren't a threat for a title this year

You were saying?

This game reminded me of the mavericks beating the heat in the nba finals two years ago. The more athletic team got beat by the slower, older team, that just made shots.

why the obsession with plumlee? he didn't even get a pre-season vote:

Associated Press Preseason All-America Team
Cody Zeller, Indiana
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Isaiah Canaan, Murray State
Deshaun Thomas, Ohio State
C.J. McCollum, Lehigh
Trey Burke, Michigan

Others receiving votes: Kenny Boynton, Florida; Lorenzo Brown, North Carolina State; Aaron Craft, Ohio State; Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State; Solomon Hill, Arizona; Pierre Jackson, Baylor; C.J. Leslie, North Carolina State; James Michael McAdoo, North Carolina; Tony Mitchell, North Texas; Mike Moser, UNLV; Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA; Nerlens Noel, Kentucky; Otto Porter, Georgetown; Phil Pressey, Missouri; Peyton Siva, Louisville; Michael Snaer, Florida State; Jeff Withey, Kansas.

let plumlee get 30... he cannot beat us.. its the 3's and FT's
OSU crushed them last year... wisky beat them the year before..

limit TO's ( including offensive fouls ).
shoot FT's.
defend the 3...

dook will shoot more 3's than 2's..
they will stand around at the 3 point line, get a pass, give a headfake.. if we are disciplined, we will not bite.. if we are not discipline, we will fly by and they step aside and hit the 3 or they will jump into us for 3 FT's..

we get a fastbreak. if we are disciplined, we will make the extra pass and get a layup... if we are not disciplined, we will try to dunk over the defender and get call for a charge.

we will know the outcome of this game 5 minutes into it... if they have no 3's and we have no offensive fouls, the game is ours.

mark it down.

Can't. Resist. I know I shouldn't bump this post but it feels so good. Preseason quote is just too good to not bump. I hate myself for doing this but I want to click the "Post Quick Reply" button so bad.

I don't get the obsession with Plumlee either, I think Duke needs to be more worried about our bigs getting him into foul trouble than we need to be about using fouls on him. I think we match up pretty well with Duke and even create some mismatches with them like are they going to have Kelly try to guard Rodney? I think our depth in the front court is a big advantage and we really need to get the ball inside and force the issue. If we limit their effectiveness from the 3 point line we have a great chance to win this game!

This quote is awesome as well. I know I'm a bad poster for bumping this one as well but it feels soooooooooooooooo good.

Listen, Duke and the Gophers are 1a and 1b in my book. Same level. I didn't cheer for any team in that game. It was weird. But these quotes are just awesome. So wrong on so many levels.

Plumlee is averaging 20 and 11 in 7 games. 5 of those games were against Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Minnesota, and VCU. CBSSports folks like Goodman and Parrish are saying he's easily the front-runner for POTY. Just makes the quotes so delicious.

I've been scouting Duke the last week or so and I've come to realize they're a lot better than I thought they would be when this matchup was first announced. Here are the 5 biggest problems the Gophers will face on Turkey Day:

1)Plumlee - He has excellent footwork, fundamental skills and is quicker than I remembered from last year. I fear he'll get our bigs(Eliason, Walker, Mbakwe) in foul trouble and will be a thorn in our side on the offensive glass. If he scores 20 and grabs 10 rebounds, we're toast.

2)Three Point Shooting - Curry, Kelley and especially Sulaiman can really shoot and knock down open shots, which our zones are prone to allowing. I think Tubby is going to have to concoct a lot more man to man defenses and challenge those guys to put the ball on the floor.

3)Turnovers - We have been sloppy with the ball and its not just Joe Coleman. I guess sometimes the blowout games make everybody a little lax, but our guards need to be a lot more careful with the ball and value each possession more. Conversely, we need to put pressure on the ball and get in Duke's face and make it a scrappy, physical game.

4)Tempo - I fear they(Duke) will systematically destroy us in a half court game. We need the tempo to be fast and furious, lots of fouls both ways with our depth winning out in the end.

5)Timing - I fear that Mbakwe and Walker still don't have their explosiveness back and are both still very rusty out there. Hopefully Trevor can use Peterson as motivation and get his burst and leaping ability back by next Thursday.

Speaking of bumps...Just re-reading my scouting report...Looks like ALL of my worst fears were realized.

This quote is awesome as well. I know I'm a bad poster for bumping this one as well but it feels soooooooooooooooo good.

Listen, Duke and the Gophers are 1a and 1b in my book. Same level. I didn't cheer for any team in that game. It was weird. But these quotes are just awesome. So wrong on so many levels.

Plumlee is averaging 20 and 11 in 7 games. 5 of those games were against Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Minnesota, and VCU. CBSSports folks like Goodman and Parrish are saying he's easily the front-runner for POTY. Just makes the quotes so delicious.

Can't. Resist. I know I shouldn't bump this post but it feels so good. Preseason quote is just too good to not bump. I hate myself for doing this but I want to click the "Post Quick Reply" button so bad.

I'm assuming you are a Duke fan....

If so, you beat an unranked (at that time) Minnesota team. Act like you've done it before.

You are a shinning example of why people HATE "Duke Boy".... You are annoying.

You're quotes aren't even that crow inducing... Plumlee wasn't looked at as a huge factor at the beginning of the season from a national stand point. He was underestimated. A lot of people were. And don't get too far ahead of yourself, because what happens if Duke loses in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA again? Guess who will be bumping this thread?

Me.

I thought Mo and Trevor did a decent job against Plumlee but he really took advantage of when he was up against Elliott and dominated against him. The biggest thing that killed is was Duke was really on with their shooting and even hit a lot of very tough shots.

i was wrong i can admit it, i still think the 8/10 behind the arc and the guards played a bigger role in the game then plumlee. EE was absolutely destroyed in the beginning of the game by plumlee and duke played better defense than i thought they could play. I would love another shot against them in the tourney. i dont think they will shoot as well the 2nd time around. During that game there was never one time that i thought, "wow, duke is a much better team than minnesota." most of the time i was just shocked at how many unbelievable shots they were hitting. oh well i was wrong, now you can feel better that i said it

The reason Duke beat us was not because of Plumlee it was because they shot lights out. I hink Plumlee is good but he looked even better by taking advantage of some very bad defense when EE was guarding him. I really wouldn't mind facing Duke again in a sweet 16 type game because I just don't think they would shoot lights out against us again like they did in the Bahamas and I still think we would have been right in that game if not for the great shooting performance. Duke does deserve a lot of credit for still being undefeated with the tough schedule that they play, but I think the 2 biggest key players for them to be successful the rest of the way are Curry and Sulimon.

Plumlee is a beast. The gophers made their only runs when he was off the court. He has been a beast all season.

If so, you beat an unranked (at that time) Minnesota team. Act like you've done it before.

You're quotes aren't even that crow inducing... Plumlee wasn't looked at as a huge factor at the beginning of the season from a national stand point. He was underestimated. A lot of people were. And don't get too far ahead of yourself, because what happens if Duke loses in the first 2 rounds of the NCAA again? Guess who will be bumping this thread?

Me.

Where in my posts did I mention March. Might want to check what I wrote on the subject.

Me.

Also you state "like you've done it before"....the Elias Bureau says Duke is the first team in NCAA history to beat 3 top 5 teams in their first 7 games. Interesting...

Also you state "like you've done it before"....the Elias Bureau says Duke is the first team in NCAA history to beat 3 top 5 teams in their first 7 games. Interesting...

Continue to prove my point, duke boy...

I said nothing about that.... You've beaten a non ranked opponent before....

I just lost a ton of respect for you Pewterschmidt. :p

Top Bottom