The Big Ten the past four years

anonymous

Reaction score
I considered posting this on the "Why people are disappointed in Tubby" thread, but there was far too much number crunching involved.

Obviously this past season was a disaster -- winning one game combined in February and March will leave a mark -- but I wanted to look at Tubby's entire tenure at Minnesota. Where exactly did it rank.

While conference schedules are not identical for each team, you are what you are in the end of the season standings.

I took a team's place in the standings in each of the past four years, added it up and put them in order. In terms of a tie, I averaged the number for each team. For example if two teams tied for fifth, they each got 5.5 points. If three teams tied for first, they each got two points.

In addition, I also gave each team a mulligan and refigured the results. That list includes the three best conference finishes over the past four years for each team. While the Gophers certainly had bad luck and misfortune in the past year, it seems fair to say that they aren't the only team in the Big Ten over the past four years to have things not go 100 percent to plan.

Last four years by standings
1. Purdue 8.5
2. Michigan State 12.5
T3. Ohio State 13
T3. Wisconsin 13
5. Illinois 22.5
T6. GOPHERS 28.5
T6. Penn State 28.5
8. Michigan 30
9. Indiana 34.5
10. Northwestern
11. Iowa 37.5

Mulligan rankings - top three out of the last four years
1. Purdue 6
2. Michigan State 7
T3. Ohio State 8
T3. Wisconsin 8
5. Illinois 13
6. Penn State 17.5
7. GOPHERS 19.5
8. Michigan 20.5
9. Indiana 23.5
10. Northwestern 24.5
11. Iowa 27.5

My thoughts:

- I was really surprised that the mulligan rankings weren't really different than the past four years rankings. The only change was that Penn State and the Gophers were no longer tied and the Gophers moved down to seventh. The reason behind that is that while the Gophers got to throw out a 9th place finish, Penn State got to throw out an 11th place finish.

- There is a clear gap between the top four programs and everybody else.

- This, for me, clearly answers why I have grown frustrated with Tubby. I truly expected that four years in that the Gophers would have clearly better results than Penn State in all possible areas.

I am a Tubby supporter and I think this is an excellent analysis. He needs to spend enough time on recruiting that he knows he is getting kids who can play his way, or get assistatns who can see recognize that themselves. At this point he has over-delegate recruiting evaluation, and it will not work. He is apparetnly the only guy on his staff who can rcognize kids who can play for him.

Great post. I actually would be completely ok with these standings if they occurred in a different manner and the Gophers were trending up. For example, if Tubby pulled a 10th place finish out of Monson's gang his first year, but finished 3rd or 4th this year and had the squad coming back for 2011. As of now, I see the Gophers having a better chance of finishing 7th or worse than 4th or better in year 5 and that is a scary, scary thought.

Top Bottom