The Big Ten is so bad year thread

Indiana looked solid.

So today we will cheer for Maryland and Iowa to get into sweet 16

But will you cheer for WI so big ten could possibly have four teams in? Not sure I can ever cheer for the skunks. Perhaps some of you feel the same way regarding Iowa
Good luck getting Iowa past Villanova. The Wildcats have been solid all year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Iowa just got embarrassed, losing by 19, which makes the game sound a lot closer than it actually was.

I can't cheer for Maryland when their fan base is obnoxious and they play Sulaimon, who should be in jail right now.

Seeing iowa and wisconsin get knocked out of the ncaa tournament on the same day would be pure college basketball bliss.

Seeing iowa and wisconsin get knocked out of the ncaa tournament on the same day would be pure college basketball bliss.

Agreed. I can never cheer for the drunk skunks and pig lovers. Was glad to see the Hoosiers beat the hillbillies. I will never forgive how rude they were at the 1997 Final Four. I came close to decking a bimbo in spike heels when she called Trevor Winter stupid for making a turnover. I kept asking her how far she went in school but never received an answer.

3 teams left from the B1G, I guess the conference is just...average this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that hurt bad. Sports is the worst.

Is no one happy that two BIG teams are in the sweet sixteen?

Is no one happy that two BIG teams are in the sweet sixteen?

I would've been happy had the conference's Sweet 16 participants were limited to Indiana and Maryland, yes. When that number improbably expanded to 3 is when I became unhappy.

We will all be Irish for an extra day in March. Not just on St Patty's. Go Notre Dame

We will all be Irish for an extra day in March. Not just on St Patty's. Go Notre Dame

I used to feel the same back when I was a undergrad at the U - that all opponents of WISC were a friend of mine - but now that many years have passed I have mellowed. I am happy the Badgers will join IU and pseudo B1G league member, MARYLAND, to rep the B1G. Not sure if we'll get another win with these matchups, but if IU or MARY pull the big upset in the Sweet 16, then I believe they'll make it to the Final 4. Go B1G!!!

I used to feel the same back when I was a undergrad at the U - that all opponents of WISC were a friend of mine - but now that many years have passed I have mellowed. I am happy the Badgers will join IU and pseudo B1G league member, MARYLAND, to rep the B1G. Not sure if we'll get another win with these matchups, but if IU or MARY pull the big upset in the Sweet 16, then I believe they'll make it to the Final 4. Go B1G!!!

Personally, I wouldn't even be super upset if it were Iowa in the Sweet 16, they've at least had to put up with some crappy basketball in semi-recent memory. Wisconsin hasn't flat out sucked in over a decade. Nothing ever seems to go wrong for them. They don't have off-court issues, and they never seem to get screwed by injuries either. They open the season losing to a bad mid-major team, lose a few more games to non-tournament teams, they open Big Ten play at 1-4, their coach retires mid-season amidst some sort of scandal but no one seems to really care, strong-arming the university into giving his hand-picked successor a shot, which of course goes as swimmingly as such a transition could possibly go, then they have some 3-star recruit emerge as one of the top freshmen in the conference, make the tournament and win a pair of one possession games that could have just as easily gone the other way. And the never ending cycle of insufferable smugness continues for another year.

I will say that Gard doesn't seem as hateable as the Grinch so far though.

When do you think we'll get to play in the tournament:confused: it looks like great fun!

I will say that Gard doesn't seem as hateable as the Grinch so far though.[/QUOTE]

He has more of a 'Charlie Brown' look to him that Bo never had.

Personally, I wouldn't even be super upset if it were Iowa in the Sweet 16, they've at least had to put up with some crappy basketball in semi-recent memory. Wisconsin hasn't flat out sucked in over a decade. Nothing ever seems to go wrong for them. They don't have off-court issues, and they never seem to get screwed by injuries either. They open the season losing to a bad mid-major team, lose a few more games to non-tournament teams, they open Big Ten play at 1-4, their coach retires mid-season amidst some sort of scandal but no one seems to really care, strong-arming the university into giving his hand-picked successor a shot, which of course goes as swimmingly as such a transition could possibly go, then they have some 3-star recruit emerge as one of the top freshmen in the conference, make the tournament and win a pair of one possession games that could have just as easily gone the other way. And the never ending cycle of insufferable smugness continues for another year.

The Badgers tend not to have off-court issues in basketball because Bo tended to either not take those guys or his style/maner meant they didn't want to go to the UW. Probably some luck involved, but there has been a trade-off in a smaller recruiting pool. Also, in regard to nothing ever going wrong-the probable 6th and 7th man this year never played a minute because of injury and NCAA technicality.

As Gopher fans always say. "Next year we will make the tournament!"

Just hired a UW grad. He asked if I thought Pitino was going to get the ax, I said... you'll get used to me saying this every year "Were going to be real good next year"....

That about sums it up; pretty good summary.

The bolded is certainly true. He has a humility and humanity that Bo either doesn't have or tried to mask by intentionally being such a penis. Gard's nature makes it easier for me to finally get to the final step in this process, which of course is acceptance. I accept that the Badgers are a premier program, and there's nothing I can do about that either way. If Gard is indeed such a good dude, he could gain the status that Tom Izzo has: coach of a team you should hate because they're so good all the time, but...

Gard can coach, I'll wait to see how recruiting goes before calling Wisconsin a premiere, they got to that level in Bo's last two years and I think they overachieved this year and I think they'll be a top four Big Ten team next year, but will see if Gard can mold diamonds in the rough with some top 50-100 talent like Bo could.

Gard can coach, I'll wait to see how recruiting goes before calling Wisconsin a premiere, they got to that level in Bo's last two years and I think they overachieved this year and I think they'll be a top four Big Ten team next year, but will see if Gard can mold diamonds in the rough with some top 50-100 talent like Bo could.

From what I have been sold on by Badger fan friends is that Gard was recruiting director the past 10 or so years.

Depending on if Hayes leaves, they should be top 10 next year. Shoot me.

From what I have been sold on by Badger fan friends is that Gard was recruiting director the past 10 or so years.

I personally know a Wis recruit Bo was after but it was Gard doing most of the work and is respected. He may not be able to continue his same efforts as head coach.

Ya they'll be pretty good with Hayes and Koening, even without Hayes they'll still be solid. Hopefully with our new guys and the transfers will be solid as well

If the B1G is bad, what's that make the SEC and Pac 12?

Even knowing what we know now (Sparty getting upset in NCAA, Iowa flaming out at end of season), the B1G is/was at worst the 3rd best Power 6 conference this season. That's not bad if it truly was a "down" year.

1 ACC (hard to argue with 6 teams in the Sweet 16)
2 Big XII (the heavyweights have delivered so far. ... Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa State)
3 B1G (can 1 of the 3 remaining end conference's 15-year national title drought?)
4 Big East (a slight edge over Pac 12 because its 2nd-best team, Xavier, better than Pac 12's)
5 Pac 12 (7 bids, but only the champ advances to the Sweet 16)
6 SEC (an awful basketball conference other than UK; Texas A&M lucky to still be dancing)

As expected the badger fans in Minnesota can't stop talking about the game yesterday. Enough already.

1 ACC (hard to argue with 6 teams in the Sweet 16))

Not totally buying the ACC being #1. Obviously it is regarding remaining teams in the tourney. Who they have played to get to the Sweet 16 makes me put on the brakes though.

Take a look:

#1 North Carolina: #16 seed/#9 seed; NEXT-->Play B1G champ
#1 Virginia: #16 seed/#9 seed; NEXT-->Play #4 seed Iowa State from Big 12
#3 Miami (Fla.): #14 seed/#11 seed; NEXT-->Play Big East champ
#4 Duke: #13 seed/#12 seed; NEXT-->Play Pac 12 champ
#6 Notre Dame: #11 seed/#14 seed; NEXT-->Play Bucky
#10 Syracuse: #7 seed/#15 seed; NEXT-->Play what looks like a vastly under seeded Gonzaga

Going by seeding, their respective draws were the easiest they could have possibly been in ALL cases. The next round will tell me a lot about the strength of the ACC. If they win the majority of those games (4 of 6) I will agree with you 100%. I think it is improbable, but certainly not impossible, that they have ZERO teams left after the Sweet 16 round.

Top Bottom